close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

South Dakota

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Esox357, Oct 3, 2004.

1. Esox357

Esox357

Hey guys and gals planning a trip to South Dakota this year to do a pheasant hunt. I am going kind of blindly as this is the first year that I will be hunting up there. I plan to hunt public land, but don't know if it will be next to impossible to get on or if I can knock on farmers doors and get on land without paying a trespass fee? I plan to hunt near the North Dakota Border. I won't be going until Nov 15. Any hints, suggestions ect. Thanks Esox357

2. rustychev

rustychev

Hey
    I don't do much upland game hunting but I can tell you that getting on to private land by Sioux falls Is getting really hard and even harder if you don't want to pay. The Public land by Sioux Falls is also hunted a lot so I would try to go west of Sioux Falls by 60 or so miles or north. This will also help you get on private land to. I would also not recommend being on any public land opening weekend unless you like to share with a lot of other hunters. If you have any ?s but the duck hunting here just ask that I do know something about.

Rusty

3. Esox357

Esox357

Thanks Rusychev, I plan on hunting towards the North Dakota border. I realize that non-toxic shot must be used on all public lands and am not opposed to trying some waterfowl if it is presented. Thanks Esox357

4. JOE MACK

JOE MACK

Send for their booklet on walk-in and CRP programs. Farmers in both these programs are paid for their participation. You can order it on line.:)

5. Skintop911

Skintop911 Uber-Practical

Like everywhere else, finding private land is getting tough. Between the out of state interests buying property for themelves to hunt, and landowners cashing in on visiting hunters, there's little left but public land and friends. Public land is over-hunted, so the rule of thumb is come early.

You'll find some folks willing to let you hunt their land. Presentation is everything, though. Offering them something in return will help.

6. MrMunster

MrMunster

You'd be amazed how far a case of Jack, some six-packs of beer, and a cooler full of hams will get you. (I've been invited back many a time after leaving one of these presents.)

And if you can't find a place to hunt, at least you've got lunch....

My dad's going again this year. The group he goes with has been hunting together for 20+ years out in SD and they have a very large black book. He's the newbie to the group and was only invited because someone had a heart attack.

7. JOE MACK

JOE MACK

It's even better to have a couple relatives with dairy farms. Heh heh heh. ;)

8. MrMunster

MrMunster

Looks like I'm going to SD too! Turns out the guy who had the heart attach also has a son who usually goes. When dad backed out, so did the son.

Now I just have to figure out how to get there! Flights are horrible and 12 hours in the car (each way) isn't all that appealing.