South Dakota AG kills a guy with his car

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by nmk, Sep 17, 2020.

1. Caver 60

Caver 60

What I object to is the fact if he wasn't drinking, it'll likely be excused. But if he had drank even 1/2 of a 12 ounce beer, he would be guilty of a hit and run. As so many have pointed out, it's perfectly possible for a sober man to hit a human in dark clothing and not know it.

Even at 30 or forty MPH in town, I've almost not seen idiots in dark clothing at night walking along the road, until it was almost too late. People think they own the road when they are pedestrians.

Rotn1 and Inyo Tim like this.
  2. racerford

racerford

Even if pedestrians do have right of way, and they may win in court, they almost always lose on the street. That is not picking the right battle.

Caver 60 likes this.

3. Dafrank

Dafrank

A little off topic, but close.

I had one experience with colliding with a person while driving my car. It was terrifying, but very different from that AG's accident. I had stopped at a traffic stop sign that was placed just before the end of the dirt road I lived on at the time. Just when I hit the accelerator of my vehicle, but before I had even moved an inch from my stop toward the end point of the road where I would have stopped again to turn on to the bigger road perpendicular to my street, I felt a really huge bump at my driver's side fender that startled me, and then saw, like in one of those slow motion scenes in an action movie, a kid about 14 years old, literally flying, end over end, over the hood of my car and landing on the ground just out of my line of vision. That whole event probably took about a second or two, but felt like about two minutes.

I was scared out of my mind that I had hit someone, but couldn't understand how, and jumped out of my car to see what happened to the kid. He lay on the ground, on some tall grass, obviously still alive and conscious and looking even more scared than I was. I told him not to try to move, and tried to do a quick inventory of his condition. I couldn't see anything obviously wrong by my amateur exam and asked him if he was experiencing any bad pain or other symptoms. He answered "no." I then asked him what the hell had just happened, and what he said sure was a surprise to me. He said, "Mister, please don't tell my parents, will ya?"

I didn't quite understand what he was talking about, told him not to move, and looked around the car where I had been too distracted to notice much before. Just a few yards from my drivers door lay a small motorbike, with its front wheel nearly twisted in half and the frame bent at the front at an awkward angle. I couldn't believe that this kid was even alive after looking at it. Then I looked at the spot where he had likely hit my car, apparently going at what he later claimed was "only" about 15-20 mph along a sidewalk at an almost a perfect 90 degree angle to my car. No fender damage, and I couldn't believe it. Then I noticed that my wheel had a crease on the top lip and that my tire had a nasty indentation on the top side of the sidewall next to it. It was a freak thing that saved this kid from some really terrible injury; his collision was cushioned by his front tire hitting at exactly the point where it met only the center of my big rubber tire, rather than some much nastier sheet metal.

I went back to the kid, worked out that he only had a few bruises, while he pleaded with me again not to tell his parents, now explaining that he didn't have a license, had taken his older brother's bike without permission, that he didn't realize how fast he was going on the sidewalk and didn't realize he couldn't stop fast enough not to hit my car, and thought his parents and brother would "kill" him if they found out. Nonetheless, he proceeded to stand up on his own after a few more minutes while I got his parent's phone number to tell them what happened, and they came to pick him and the wrecked bike up about 20 minutes later.

I can't tell you how horrifying it was for those moments while I thought that, somehow, I had done something terribly wrong and injured or killed a kid.

Rotn1, DukeNukem, Lazy R and 2 others like this.
  4. cbetts1

cbetts1

It would be easy to hit someone on a country road, it's very dark. Prior to his election, he used to get stopped speeding a few times a year. Speeding while tired is a bad mix. It may be nothing but I still think it's unusual that they drove to the officers home where the officer lent a vehicle to the AG. It would be interesting to find out their prior relationship. It would be very easy for them to hide DUI at this point. Unless multiple people testify he was drinking, it won't go anywhere.

That Ford should have the equivalent of what is referred to as a black box. It is possible that the impact was detected and would show the time, speed and other parameters at the time of impact. Although it's a 2011, Ford has been placing GPS in cars and tracking the info for a long time, without telling owners. This info may be obtainable with a warrant.

Way too early to tell but the article provided little info. Some interesting points.

He was coming home from a Republican fundraiser approximately 110 miles from home.
    - Photos posted on the Spink County Republican Party’s Facebook page show no more than two dozen people at Rooster’s Bar & Grill. (It would be easy to find a few people to say he didn't drink among a small dedicated group of friends/fundraisers. )

- Since 2014, he also accumulated eight traffic tickets, including six speeding tickets in different counties. But he was not in danger of losing his driver’s license, and he has had no tickets since taking office in 2019. (Prior to his election he was quite the speeder. Hasn't had one since elected, imagine that.)

-Ravnsborg's office has said he immediately called 911. The Department of Public Safety issued a statement Monday that said only that Ravnsborg told the Hyde County Sheriff's Office that he had hit a deer with his 2011 Ford Taurus. The agency did not say whether he reported the crash in a 911 call. (Did he call 911 or directly call a friend at the sheriffs office. The sheriff/deputy drove him to his personal home and let him barrow a car. That's different)

-Why did he return to the crash site? Did he suspect he hit someone or did he know? Was his car still there, that would be good reason.

5. chiefjack

chiefjack

I remember that in the academy. I didn't believe it and thought it was BS until I rolled on my first auto vs. ped and the ped was about 30 feet from the point of impact. At the point of impact were a pair of shoes, still perfectly tied.

Caver 60 likes this.
  6. Jbritt

Jbritt

I don’t know man. I’ve hit two deer in my life. Second one I knew it was a deer. The first one it was so fast and I may have been looking at my stereo or something (I was 17), that I had no idea what it was until I stopped, got out and saw all the fur and **** on my car. ****ed up the front of my car, broke windshield and side window and back window when it rolled over the top. I found the deer and it was dead but at the time it happened I had no idea what I hit.

cbetts1 likes this.
  7. ray9898

ray9898

Pedestrians generally don't have the right of way outside of a crosswalk. In this case, strolling down the travel lane of dark country road is without question illegal.

Caver 60 likes this.
  8. racerford

racerford

Totally missed my point.

Second, pedestrian right of way laws vary greatly by location. The safest bet is to not hit them. Both for the pedestrian and the driver, and the owner of the car. Triply bad if they are all the same person.

Caver 60 likes this.
  9. Caver 60

Caver 60

Unfortunately, these days, they seem to think they own the road. So do bicycle riders. Pedestrians just step out in the road any place they choose; without even looking to see if anyone is coming. They expect that 3,000 pound car to stop on a dime for their right to walk out in front of you. I've known several people who have been hit while doing just exactly that.

I was taught the car has the right of way. You stop and look both ways at least once, before walking on the road. Even in a crosswalk I wait, unless there is a stoplight; and even then I look to make sure drivers are stopping. Unfortunately these days they think their rights trump the vehicles right of way.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    badge315 likes this.
  10. M&P15T

M&P15T Well I'll Be Dipped!!!

Passenger vehicles are probably averaging around 4,000 lbs now. And trucks and SUVs really get up there in weight, plus they don't stop as fast even when weight is factored in.

Caver 60 likes this.
  11. nmk

nmk

https://www.keloland.com/news/local-news/read-listen-911-call-from-ravnsborg-from-fatal-crash/

KELOLAND News will have more coverage of the news briefing online and on-air.

[​IMG]
    continued..

Dispatcher: Okay.
    (Typing)
    Caller: It sure hit me…smashed my windshield…
    Dispatcher: Oh no. Okay, do you think it was a deer or something?
    Caller: I have no idea…
    Dispatcher: Okay…
    Caller: Yeah…It could be…I mean…it was right in the roadway and…
    Dispatcher: …(typing)…K…and were you traveling westbound then?
    Caller: Yes, westbound…back to Pierre.
    Dispatcher: Okay…(typing)…alrighty, well I will go head and let the…ah…sheriff know. He’s the one
    that’s on call right now. He’ll be responding from home and I’ll have him come out and talk to you and
    take the report. Can I just…
    Caller: Okay.
    Dispatcher: … get the license plate off your vehicle, Jason?
    Caller: Yes…G…zero, zero, zero, two, seven.
    Dispatcher: Okay. Government plate?
    Caller: Well, it’s a bronze star plate.
    Dispatcher: K…
    Caller: It’s my personal car…
    Dispatcher: K…alright…I will get him headed that way for you, Jason.
    Caller: Alright. Thank you.
    Dispatcher: You’re welcome, sir. Bye-bye.
    Caller: Bye.

12. sourdough44

sourdough44

Every time I’ve walked near a road, I always do so DEFENSIVELY. One of my questions is, did the impact take place in the travel lane?
    Did the pedestrian have any alcohol in his system?

Just off the top I know two killed near my home town on the highway, both drunk. One was actually laying in the road. The other walking along the edge, to many beers.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
    Caver 60 likes this.
  13. nmk

nmk

I wonder when the distraction reveal will come.

https://apnews.com/article/south-dakota-10a9479945b675dbb3ef1750a2e8a83c

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. (AP) — South Dakota Attorney General Jason Ravnsborg was distracted before he drove onto a highway shoulder where he struck and killed a pedestrian in September, state Secretary of Public Safety Craig Price said Monday.

Price said 55-year-old Joseph Boever was walking on the side of the road and displaying some type of light on the night of Sept. 12 when Ravnsborg’s 2011 Ford Taurus hit him. Price did not describe what led Ravnsborg to become distracted and he did not respond to questions about what the distraction was.

Ravnsborg called 911 that night and told a dispatcher that he hit “something” and that “it was in the middle of the road.” When the dispatcher asked if it could have been a deer, Ravnsborg initially said, “I have no idea” before adding, “It could be.”

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
  14. nmk

nmk

15. racerford

racerford

Hmmmmm..... the plot thickens.

I wonder if the shoulder was paved and how wide it was? The diagram shows the car completely out of the driving lane. Were there rumble strips? I think it will be a while before the full story is out, if ever. It has already taken a while to get what little there is.

16. Victor Dubya

Victor Dubya The Kindly Curmudgeon

Former South Dakota Governor and US Rep Bill Janklow ran a stop sign in a rural area and killed a motorcyclist some years ago. He served some time in the slammer for that. He was a habitual speeder but had executive privilege.

As far as this current thing, the crash site isn't that far from a reservation so it makes me wonder. About ten years or so ago I and some friends went out near Eagle Butte, SD to shoot prairie dogs and you wouldn't believe the poverty and alcohol abuse on those reservations. There is a lot of that out there. Pretty sad.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  17. nmk

nmk

18. rogn

rogn real dogs

The survival rate of vehicular struck deer can be pretty good. I had a yearling doe decide to jump back in front of Impala at about 15 mph. Draped evenly across front of hood and flew about 25 feet into ditch, scramble off into dark. A friends grandson shot a young doe in the same area during the fall season. The appropriate leg was broken and fused in flexed position. Deer was in good condition. Go figure.
    And yes there was no doubt in mind that I hit the dumb thing.

19. Biggy1

Biggy1

He was more than likely drunk. They can check where he was earlier and offer a reward for info to see if his story is straight.