South Dakota AG kills a guy with his car

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by nmk, Sep 17, 2020.

1. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

Not saying the guy is guilty, but his story is fishy. The last time i hit a deer it jumped out in front of me so fast i didn't have time to hit the brakes or do anything, but I could see in that brief instant, that not only was it a deer, but it was a small deer weighing about 70 pounds.

I basically ran over it and ewas on a narrow road with deep gullys on both sides and no where to turn around and when I was finally able to turn around I went back and couldn't find it. The only damage it did to my Jeep wrangler was that if broke off one of the Deer whistles from the front bumper.

Caver 60 likes this.
  2. ray9898

ray9898

I guess this is one of those things....suspicious to everyone except those who have actually investigated real collisions between cars and animals/humans.

badge315, Caver 60, MaxB and 2 others like this.

3. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

Most of us can only go by personal experience. Any time I've ever hit anything I knew what it was that I'd hit and that's from over 50 years of driving.

4. nmk

nmk

Picture makes it look like the adult human body went over the hood and smashed the windshield. Do people often mistake that for something else?

I could be reading the picture wrong.

5. bdcochran

bdcochran

I will wait for the results of the investigation. My own belief I will withhold - my brother owned a Christmas Tree farm with a myriad of deer that would end up roadkill. He would take them to the local orphanage with the blessing of the fish and game people.

If the gentleman really did stop and look at the time, it is a clear indication that he needs his glasses prescription checked.

6. Gray Dood

Gray Dood

You mean he and the police officer who also checked the scene with him?

You're not an optometrist trying to drum up business are you?

:)

badge315, Caver 60, MaxB and 2 others like this.
  7. ray9898

ray9898

The commonalities of hitting a deer and a human are different from my experience investigating them. A deer usually involves lots of movement any many times directly crosses the path of the vehicle. A human commonly skirts the edge of the lane where the darkness creeps in with no noticeable perpendicular movement.

Gray Dood and faceplant like this.
  8. Lowcountry_Glocker

Lowcountry_Glocker

sorry but not seeing anything fishy here. you cannot see a godamned thing here at night time. the amount of times I have seen people (of course, dressed in all black) at 0300 in the median of the 60mph highway here, and not seen them until I could spit on them, is absurd. 2 feet closer to me, and they would be dead. we had a trooper take a guy out here. was tooling along @ speed limit. hit the guy took his head off. what can you do? you're not seeing them until it is too late. literally by the time you register what is happening, it is too late.

keep in mind deer are light colored, have reflective eyes, and tend to move in jerky fashions, all of which garner one's attentions once headlights hit any of the above. the absolute derelict freaking IDIOTS walking across desolate highways are 1. dressed in all black 2. looking down 3. moving at a snails pace 4. usually stupidly intoxicated.

had a real bad fatal here while ago. young girl wound up getting hit and dismembered on one of our highways. she had stopped to help someone else who had hit a deer, and was in turn struck on the road by car # 3. DRT. he pulled over and remained on scene, he thought he hit a deer. I let Highway Patrol break the news to him as to what he really hit.

the man called LE, and looked around w/ deputy. that is not something a drunk does, unless very confident in their drinking and ability to hide it.

badge315, Caver 60, MaxB and 3 others like this.
  9. faceplant

faceplant

The handful of auto vs pedestrian late at night I've responded to most drivers never saw the person they hit. And yes people are knocked out of their shoes. Strange thing to see.

Caver 60, ray9898 and Gray Dood like this.
  10. bdcochran

bdcochran

Please correct my limited understanding. Did he stop immediately after hitting an object. I thought that he did not stop and simply reported hitting a deer. If you have facts to the contrary, please correct me. thank you.

11. racerford

racerford

Yes he did. He call the police to report he hit something. The police came they both looked and found nothing. The car was undriveable. The office offered to let the AG borrow his personal car. The office drove to his own house and the AG drove hone from there. He went back in the morning and that is when the body was found. If the officer thought he was drunk, why would he have let him borrow his car?

badge315, Caver 60 and faceplant like this.
  12. Gray Dood

Gray Dood

What he said. :)

13. Gray Dood

Gray Dood

Don't feel bad.

There are many accounts on this thread of people assuming just that. Or sharing how their experience with striking a deer is different from this incident (including me). Several seemed to imply that because their experience with an animal was different, something must be amiss. I've unfortunately had to investigate several pedestrian strikes, hence my earlier comments to wait for the investigation results.

He and a police officer didn't initially find the deceased.

Caver 60 and TBO like this.
  14. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 7th Street South, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    Silly AG... it's the Judge who hands out death sentences.

Sent from my Jack boot using Copatalk

bdcochran and Gray Dood like this.
  15. cqb451

cqb451

I'm an ace - five deer in my 49 years since being granted a drivers license. Every one of those I knew instantly what it was.
    This puke is lying to cover his entitled ass and hoping embedded functionaries will sweep it under the rug,
    Somebody check and see if he's related to a Kennedy i.e. Chappaquiddick

16. ray9898

ray9898

What you don't know you don't know.....

17. Current Resident

Current Resident

I concur, wait for the facts, I wasn't there

Caver 60 likes this.
  18. faceplant

faceplant

We all jump to conclusions on GT even Dale. It appears he did what was right when it happened but time will tell. To me the question is was he drinking. So far no proof. If he was hang him

B C likes this.
  19. Scotsman

Scotsman Unauthorized Green Beans

One time, I stood there in conversation with a couple people, one being the chief of police for the city, as said chief stated he would never hook up one of his officers for dui, if he ever has the occasion to pull one over. If you think there is not even a little possibility that the officer, “just didn’t see anything”, then I feel your not being totally honest with yourself.

20. racerford

racerford

Big difference between not booking him on a dui, and letting him borrow your personal car.

badge315 and Caver 60 like this.