South Dakota AG kills a guy with his car

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by nmk, Sep 17, 2020.

1. Matt VDW

Matt VDW Millennium Member

It's possible that the driver was sober but still driving excessively fast and not paying attention. As attorney general of South Dakota, he's probably had to go on many long drives on empty highways. Since he has a de facto "get out of jail free" card for speeding tickets, the temptation to just put the pedal down and finish a trip ASAP must be strong.

2. M&P15T

M&P15T Well I'll Be Dipped!!!

Tow trucks are everywhere. Even if you have to wait an hour or more for them to get to you.

But I get your point. SD is rural. People are different, and help each other like they don't in the city areas.

B C likes this.

3. M&P15T

The 2nd article states he'd gotten several moving violations. Like, 6 or something in a year or two.

4. ray9898

ray9898

What a **** fest this turned into......

5. Z71bill

Z71bill

My grandmother lived in Highmore South Dakota -

Highmore is a city in and county seat of Hyde County, South Dakota, United States. The population was 795 at the 2010 census.

After she married my grandpa they moved to Spencer South Dakota - which is where my dad was born/grew up.

Spencer is a city in McCook County, South Dakota, United States. The population was 154 at the 2010 census.

I spent many days in Spencer - back in the 1960's and early 70's.

Rural blacktop two lane road - this is a map near the location.

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.375...4!1sMPw3bL_DNSmYQ8dZ_vGqkg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Notice the bumpy things on the side of the road - and also down the middle. They alert you when you are going off the road or into the other lane.

6. M&P15T

SD looks beautiful. Amazing.

7. Z71bill

Z71bill

It is a nice place if you like open spaces - I would move back but the winters are pretty harsh.

8. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Staff Member Moderator

9. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Naw, I had the last word.

10. railfancwb

railfancwb

Or as it is said “Just Us” law for them.

Intolerant and Jonesee like this.
  11. railfancwb

railfancwb

I have read that the woman actually suffocated with her face in a trapped air pocket. Had the wreck been dealt with promptly she might have lived.

vikingsoftpaw and Inyo Tim like this.
  12. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

Was the guy jaywalking or at a deer crossing? Asking for a friend.

Caver 60, vikingsoftpaw and jimcorbin like this.
  13. Intolerant

Intolerant

You NAILED that one. :cheers:

14. Catshooter

Catshooter

I can tell you naysayers aren't from SD. You don't know our governor. She's the only one to not lock down her state and we love her for it. Not to say she's perfect she's just as human as the rest of us. But she saw that there was enough hinckiness with the whole thing that she's called in independent investigators. When she says it'll be transparent, it will be.

Y'all should be more respectful of one of the best candidates to be our 2024 Presidential candidate! :)

Cat

Z71bill, 63Bravo and Borg Warner like this.
  15. MGGLOCK9

MGGLOCK9

Well...I hit a deer once. A huge buck that crossed right in front of me.. Totaled my truck. Responding officer shot it to put it out of its misery.

When my wife hit a deer with our Blazer. She called me and I got there same time as the state trooper. As we looked at the mangled front end, he pointed out the tufts of fur caught in the metal. I commented to my wife "at least he knows now it was not a person." I then noticed something else and I exclaimed "good Lord, you can smell the animal." And indeed you could.

I smell BS here...

'Ol Grandad and vikingsoftpaw like this.
  16. ruffhunter

ruffhunter

ive dealt with several fatal pedestrian accidents at night. Most all thought they hit a deer or dog. Different factors to be considered, its dark, no street lighting, dressed in dark clothing, passed out on the road or staggered in the roadway, wet roads with glare from lights, raining, snow or fog. Hitting someone at 55/65 mph and they fly out into a ditch, your not likely going to see them driving back around, out of view of headlights, high weeds, deep ditch, wooded, standing water, someone in here i think. Tired/impaired drivers. Every been really sleepy driving home, forget the last mile, hear a hump and didnt know what it was? Have had several suicides on major interstate during the night, not much left to find after 50 cars and semi's go over. Sometimes only 1 or 2 may call if they seen the person.

Had one drunk out in the roadway. Two or three cars ran over him. If you are following too close you may not see the lump in the road. On that one, a girl turned around because she was worried about the dog she hit.
    Recently old partner told me a Indian (India) couple was going to the store at 4/5am and thought they ran over a dog. He was passed out in road. When they came back from store noticed crews on the scene and eventually came back wondering. Had no clue.
    Have had several where no one stopped and body eventually found. Remember one was in a dark area, just below a grade. Black male, black clothing and was a chronic alcoholic. We had him for 2 ovi's and 1 public intox, each time he had to be carried and always crapped himself. I think the only evidence there was a chipped side mirror and a little piece of mirror housing.

There are many variables at each accident. Some are obvious, but many our logical how they happen with all factors taken into consideration imo. Not defending him but seen too many that crap happens

badge315, n2g and Caver 60 like this.
  17. OXMYX

OXMYX

18. Scott1970

Scott1970

Probably just thought it was another one of those deer screaming, "Oh, crap! You just ran me over!"

I know during deer season the woods ring with, "Oh, you got me!" over and over. So, it makes sense to me.

19. nmk

nmk

I'm sure she's wonderful, but I don't see that she had any choice here. He's the top law enforcement official in the state. You have to ask for outside help.

20. ray9898

ray9898

I have seem numerous people hit by vehicles over the years. For the ones hit at night outside of the lighted city streets I would guess 50% stated they did not initially know what they hit. It really isn't uncommon. Our last one was hit by 3 vehicles, no one knew it was a human.

Caver 60 and faceplant like this.