GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
9,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched here, but couldn't find anything.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/south-...-hitting-deer-actually-killed-man-joe-boever/

South Dakota Attorney General Jason Ravnsborg reported hitting a deer with his car on Saturday night but actually killed a pedestrian whose body was not found until the next day, state investigators said Monday. Ravnsborg's office has said he immediately called 911 after the accident on a rural stretch of U.S. Highway 14 and did not realize he had hit a man until the body was found.

https://www.knopnews2.com/2020/09/15/south-dakotas-top-attorney-says-found-body-day-after-crash/

Gov. Kristi Noem promised a transparent investigation Tuesday, saying she was bringing in outside investigators. A crash reconstruction expert from Wyoming and the North Dakota Bureau of Criminal Investigation are helping the state Highway Patrol with the investigation. Noem gave no timeline on when details would be released.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
So was to lazy to stop and get out and look, sounds like drunk or distracted driving to me
Hits something in the road and never stops to check on who or what he hit or even if the car is safe to drive? WOW! What if that animal or person was still alive? If that is not the definition of depraved indifference then I don’t know what is. Absolutely agree with the presumption of drunk/drugged/distracted driving.

How can he still have the ability to do his job? Is there not a conflict of interest at this point?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Rational
14,219 Posts
I remember I hit a raccoon or opossum (can't remember which....I think it was a coon) years ago with my mother's minivan at night on the highway at 65 MPH. Thing was gigantic, and even though the highway was lit, I didn't see the animal until the headlights caught the glint of his eyes, but by then it was far too late. The "boom" was very significant, and I DEFINITELY knew I hit something and pulled over immediately.

A full-size man? Yeah, there would be significant damage to his car at those speeds. At the very least, I would have looked around for the deer.....in doing so, he probably would have seen the man.

·
Come on man!!
14,341 Posts
Why do so many of you jump to conclusions and hope for the worst?

Isn't that what BLM rioters do?

I'll wait for results from the investigation before I crucify anybody.

·
Banned
8,580 Posts
I'm not sure how you would not know you hit a person... Or how you mistake a person for a deer? WTF? I agree with the poster above, alcohol involved, or distracted driver-cell phone, radio, eating fast food, etc;
It worked for one of our local judges who hit and killed a guy coming back from a card game. He said he did not know he hit anyone, despite witnesses saying he stopped, got out of his car and looked at the body. He went home, parked his car in his garage and went in his house and went to sleep. Allegedly, police went to his home, knocked on the door and when no one answered they left. Despite his card playing buddies saying he was visibly drunk when he left the game, he was tested the following day and passed.

Reactions: cbetts1
1 - 20 of 120 Posts