South Carolina Status From Storm

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Jon_R, Oct 11, 2015.

1. Jon_R

Jon_R

Heading up 95 from FL to Charleston on Sat for a few days then from there into DC area. The news are doom and gloom. Anyone in SC can give me the status of 95 and 26 and charleston. We are staying at the embassy suite in the historic district. Areas recovered come on up or still an issue best to stay away?

Thanks.

2. Jon_R

Jon_R

If anyone has any recommendations for the area happy to hear them to.

And Bump.

3. dotsun

dotsun Shark Stomper

I believe there's a stretch of 95 that's closed but I'm not sure where. Normally I'd take 17 into Charleston from 95 instead of coming all the way up to 26 as it's a lot faster. I haven't heard of any problems with 17 and I know that 26 is open to 95.

Parts of downtown Charleston and some other scattered areas were underwater but those should be fine by now.

4. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

95 is now 100% open, as I got a message on my phone earlier alerting me of this. Some smaller roads are still closed, but IIRC, almost all major highways are back in business.

5. Jon_R

Jon_R

Looks like right now 95 between 26 and 20 is closed but they hope to open it in the next couple of days. Since I head that way on Friday hope it won't be an issue.

We might go 26 to 77 to 81 up into North VA to get into the mountains some if 95 is closed or not.

I will look to take 17 into Charleston. Hope it will be a nicer ride and we have plenty of time. Just a 6 hour drive from home to Charleston and all day to get there. Friday night we are actually staying in Summerville as the original plan was to work half a day on Friday then drive up so wanted something cheaper the first night before we head into Charleston.

6. Jon_R

Jon_R

Thanks.

7. Bruce M

Bruce M

From what I saw on the news I would avoid Charleston for a month or two. My guess is a lot is back to normal but my luck would be one block where I wanted to be was still without electricity or I would get a tire cut and that was the one size that still had not come back into stock yet.

And I like the drive up I77 and I81 much more.

8. SC Tiger

SC Tiger As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

A little Google-fu (I was curious as well) shows that the lanes are now open. But I would still avoid I-95 because quite frankly I95 sucks gorilla onions.

9. Jon_R

Jon_R

Do you know how the historic district is?

I can cancel Charleston just never been there and want to check it out. I can't cancel being in Northern VA as it is a work Conference. I would need to find something else to do between FL and VA for a couple days if I cancel.

Coming back we are going to Middlesboro, KY then Jekyl Island GA.

10. Bruce M

Bruce M

I have no idea how the historic district is but I can guess after having been in a couple areas that have had weather disasters that restoring the last 10% or so can take a while and that my luck is something in that last bit could be what messes me up. I would probably spend the extra time somewhere along or near the Blue Ridge Parkway and take in some fall views.

11. GT4494

GT4494

Take exit 53 (17A) Walterboro if you are going to Summerville droveit this morning and all is dry.

12. dotsun

dotsun Shark Stomper

I guess since he's not in a hurry that works. I tried that route a few times from Savannahstan to Goose Creek and I always got behind horribly slow drivers. Hwy 17 just seemed like a much better drive for me.