close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

South Beach Diet

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by zaggie, Jul 11, 2004.

1. zaggie

zaggie

Day 1: 208 lbs.;V

Anybody else starting the diet?

2. zaggie

zaggie

Day Two: 206 lbs.

How about a little encouragement, you guys!

3. cnemikeman

cnemikeman

Just remember to be patient......... you may also want to sign up for the Atkins area here on the board......contact Sidearmor about it....... that is where most 'diet' discussions occur. Keep up the good work.......

MikeMaN

4. [TAMU]-06

[TAMU]-06

WOW. 2lb a day!!;P

5. Caretaker

Caretaker GO YANKEES!!!

I know about weight problems, as well as many others. But mine were extreme and lifelong battle. I weighed:

AGE 3: 125 LBS
    AGE 6: 200 LBS
    AGE 10: 300 LBS.
    AGE 16: 500 LBS
    AGE 18: 640 LBS
    AGE 35: 790 LBS.

I spent most my life from age 6 on all kinds of diets trying to lose weight anyway i could. I got picked on mercilesly by kids in school and teachers and children and adults alike wherever i went to. Everyone had a sarcastic, mean and rude comment. Everyone had a snicker or hurtful joke. Not a day passed in my life that i hadnt heard or was talked about or made fun of by someone somewhere wherever i was.
    Thats just the mental pain i dealt with let alone the health problems it brought on as well. Heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetis, neuropathy, lung/breathing disorders, joint pain, arthritis, kidney problems, liver disorders, let alone rashes, chaffing and all other problems physically you can imagine.

I cant even express the total mental and physical pain i went through in my life dealing with the severe weight problems and the effects from it.

I am not trying to take away from what you are doing, iff anything i am applauding you and wishing you the best with your efforts. there is no one right diet for everyone. for everyones body is different and what works for some may not work for the others. What is important is find soething that works for you and your body type and something you can stick with and see through, for gaining and losing and that up and down weight problem can be worse than just being heavy. So god bless you and i wish you the best just trying to let you know i hear where your coming from and applaud you in your fight to be fit and healthy. Whether a person had 10 pounds or 100 pounds or 500 pounds to lose it still a battle no matter how you look at it and one that is maybe the toughest to fiught. For quiting smoking is tough i can well imagine, but one doesnt have to smoke if they dont want to. Drinking as well, one does not have to have that bottle of alcohol each and everyday to survive. BUT...........everyone has to eat each and everyday, it takes desire and control and will to eat healthy and eat right and do what one needs to do to help in their battle of the bulge.

Just to update you, my brother and I found out we had a degenerative gene that had caused us to gain weight and made losing weight a impossiblity. My brother and I had surgery (gastric bypass surgery) 6 years ago and to date i lost 440 pounds and my brother eddie, who was 660 pounds, lost 310 pounds to date.

We both wish you and everyone, who are fighting the battle to lose weight, our very best and support you 100%.

God Bless and Good Luck!!!!

;z ;z ;z ;z ;z ;z ;z ;z

6. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

^6 ^6 ^6 ^6 ^6

Kevin is right!

Personally, I have had INCREDIBLE success with Atkins. So have others I know.

Each person has to find what works best for him or her. The old generic reduced calorie diet may work for some. But guess what? When done PROPERLY both Atkins and South Beach are reduced calorie too.

Your genes, metabolism, and level of activity determine how any diet will work. It is a trial and error process.

Hang in there zaggie. And keep us posted ;)

7. Fireman64

Fireman64 REALIST

Ya, Good Luck and keep posting. And by the way where is the Atkins or dieting area on the board? Why am I the last one to know?? I've always said no one likes me...;P

8. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Fireman,

PM Patricia (Sidearmor) and she will set you up for the Atkins forum ;)

9. zaggie

zaggie

Day 3: 204 lbs.

10. Caretaker

Caretaker GO YANKEES!!!

YOU GO DOG!!!
    ;z ;z ;z ;z ;z ;z ;z ;z ;z

11. zaggie

zaggie

Day 4: 202 lbs.

12. Caretaker

Caretaker GO YANKEES!!!

good for yu. keep going. stick to it ;z ;z ;z ;z

13. zaggie

zaggie

Day 5: 202 lbs. ^2

14. chip00

chip00

What is the basis difference between the Atkins and South Beach diets?
    I understand they are similar.
    Thanks.
    -C.

15. BikerGoddess

BikerGoddess Got hairspray?

Zaggie, don't expect to lose a pound a day until you're at goal. Weight loss isn't linear and the majority of the weight you lose initially will be water weight. The commonly accepted safe amount after that is 1-2lbs/week. (After your body meets its initial energy needs with glucose, it stores about 2 days' worth of energy in glycogen. There is water associated with these stores, and this is what is released when the glycogen is used up. After those are depleted, you'll start burning stored fat.)

You'll also have to modify your total calorie intake when you get closer to goal, as your body will need fewer calories for the same activities.

chip: Atkins and SBD are similar in that they're a low carb diet. Atkins is high fat initially, where SBD is high protein. They both have phases and they both end up with nearly identical Maintenance plans.

Atkins is considered 'stricter' than South Beach, but it really depends on your preferences as to which is harder. SBD is also low fat, so where with Atkins you can have cheese and bacon and cream cheese, with SBD, you have to go for low fat or fat free versions. The choice of veggies are similar, but more restricted with Atkins. SBD includes more complex carbohydrates and allows alcohol and coffee (alcohol is allowed in Ongoing Weightloss in Atkins).

If you're interested, I'd suggest getting both books and seeing which sounds better to you. I know people who have been successful on both plans. You can also try one and if you don't like it, try the other. There are also other lower carb diets, such as Schwartzbein, Metabolic Typing Diet, the Zone, etc. Just cutting out sugar and refined carbs will help most people.

Laura

16. zaggie

zaggie

Day 6: 200 lbs.

Thanks for the encouragement and the posts!

17. alphacat

alphacat account deleted

Caretaker
    "BIG DOG"

WoW! Great for you.....^c

18. Bill D

Bill D Millennium Member

Just a hint. Cut the daily posts, they don't mean anything because its all water at first and doesn't mean much. Most pro's say to weigh yourself once or twice a week. Unless this is just to see your name over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over! Good luck, but please cut us some slack!

19. zaggie

zaggie

OK Bill, no more posts. I was enjoying giving my little daily report and it helped me avoid the temptations of bread, potatoes and alcohol, but I never realized the pain I was causing all of you.

20. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

zaggie,

If you need to post your daily weight, feel free. Anything that stretghens your resolve is fine by me.

I don't weigh daily-I would rather wait a few weeks or so and see a big drop as opposed to a smaller one. This prevents discouragement during periods of water weight gain ;)

If you PM Sidearmor, she can set you up to access the Atkin's Support Group where you won't be criticized for you daily postings and you may recieve better support. I know you are not doing Atkins, but right now this forum is the closes thing we have to South Beach.

Also, you might want to check out the Atkins Diet Bulletin Board. There is a section for other low carb diets, I believe. http://www.atkinsdietbulletinboard.com

One other thing: you are exercising, right?