Sources for used/reconditioned RADAR units?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by obxemt, Jan 24, 2010.

1. obxemt

obxemt Chaplain of CT

2. JTipper.45

JTipper.45

I think your big three (Kustom, Stalker and Decatur) have refurb shops. These are usually trade ins. We just bought 2 used Talon hand helds from PB and are happy with them. They came complete including cases.

3. ronduke

ronduke

Our dept. just replaced the Stalker unit that was in my patrol car. The old unit was about 6 years old. This time, we bought, from Stalker, a demo/ used unit. We paid a little more and got a 1 year warranty. I don't recall the total savings of buying a used unit, vs a new one, but I know it saved a good chunk of change. We had some problems with an antenna, but the Stalker tech people have a very quick turn around. ( A good reason to keep an old antenna at the station, to use as a loaner, while you wait to get the antenna back from Stalker.) Turnaround time was only about 1 week.

My dept has personally assigned take home cars. When we get a new car, we have kept the old RADAR and Mobilvision systems and reused them. My Mobilvision is probably about 7 years old. Both Mobilvision and Stalker have their repair shops only about an hour away, so that is another good thing for us. When we expanded the fleet, we went with Digital Ally and Watch Guard.

4. Vigilant

Vigilant

Try www.ncstatesurplus.com. They used to have a LE section. Might also try NCSHP and Wake County SO, and some of the other larger cities/counties. Might save some money over the typical 'refurbs', which are probably, for the most part, just cleaned up and resold as is.