close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Sound proofing a shed

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by utah, Mar 6, 2012.

1. utah

utah

Need some idea on how to sound proof a storage shed. I’m moving into a house that will allow me to shoot on the property; however I would like to do it as quiet as possible. I know I can just purchase additional suppressors however I shoot with a Bullseye team and putting a suppressor on the end of my target 1911 is out of the question. So my thoughts/plans are to purchase an 8x12 shed from Lowes and use that as my shooting house, actually shoot out of it through the window. So other than the standard pink insulation what else is there that will cut down on the noise? Thanks for the help.

2. tehan2

tehan2 NRA & GOAL

old mattresses on the walls and ceiling

3. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

The insulation will have to be fire retardant as well as easily cleanable. Expect a build up of gunpowder residue and of lead styphynate. You'd need a good ventilation system as well.

4. gjk5

gjk5 Pinche Gringo

They make a drywall material specifically for soundproofing media rooms, or two layers of drywall with a dead space would kill a lot of sound. There is also that stuff they line car tubs with for big stereo systems....dynamat?

Foam board between studs, fg batting and drywall would probably do the trick fine

5. GarySTL

GarySTL NRA Life Member

Mineral wool! Fireproof and supposedly better than fiberglass for sound suppression.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

6. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

Dynamat would be prohibitively expensive.

I would think most of the sound is going to come out the window freely anyway.

7. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

I wauld start with 12 inches of roll insulation. If it isn't good enough add 12 more.

Insulation is cheap, cover everything.

8. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

I am thinking for "quiet as possible", you shooting out a window is not the way to go. You need to have you and the target in the same room.

You could probably shoot someone in a house in suburbia and the neighbors would not know, but open up a window and it is a different story.

9. jprj

jprj

I usually see cork boards or egg trays as sound insulators.

10. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

sound proof shed eh ???

guessing this would help you out :rofl::rofl::rofl:

j/k

[​IMG]

11. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

DO NOT USE THEM They are flammable and the surfaces are porous and will trap everything from firing. Not a good thing.

The best idea I've heard of is a pair of shipping containers laid at a slope with 2x4 walls, good insulation, and extremely good ventilation set up. If I recall they are 40 feet each so if you put 2 of them end to end it's 80 feet.

12. jbutenhoff

jbutenhoff

You need to have the target in the same building. The thought of shooting out a window should just scare you. For all you know your dog/wife/kid is running by for who knows what reason. You would only have a split second of warning shooting out of a window vs. either being outside or have the target inside.

I second the two shipping containers idea, just make sure you have more than enough ventilation as well.

13. utah

utah

Won’t be shooting out the window will be shooting from the inside. The shed is 12’ long so I’ll have 10’ +/- for sound suppression, I know I won’t be able to eliminate all of it, just want to eliminate as much as possible. My initial thought was ½” to 1” foam insulation, then pink insulation and drywall, will have power so some type of ventilation will be added, nothing more than a window fan though.

14. utah

utah

Think of a tunnel that’s open on the top and closed on one end…looking down range…creek on left side that can be crossed but not without getting wet to mid chest height, right side has a very steep grade 45 degree +/- with a path that draws you away from that area behind the location for the shed. I feel very comfortable with the location that no one will be passing through. I originally thought of the shipping containers however the cost is the killer, would love to have (2) welded together and shoot in that.

15. davsco

davsco

fill the stud bays with cellulose (recycled newspaper) insulation. you can have it sprayed in wet, or if you put a mesh barrier over the studs, it can be sprayed in dry.

we have a 5 gallon test bucket sprayed (filled) with cellulose. have a small alarm that you have to hold your ears because it's so loud. drop it in the bucket and you cannot hear it!

16. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

I've been in a room that my employer at the time specially constructed to be acoustically dead, for measuring the noise made by their products.

The walls and ceiling were covered with shapes that were like little pyramids with a square base and a height that was about 3 times the length of one side of the base. These things were sticking out of the wall about a foot & a half, and were all covered with a couple Inches of soft foam that was very porous. They were packed together as tight as the size of their bases would allow - not a speck of flat wall space was left between them. It was incredibly quiet in that room.

I've also seen this same thing used in recording studios, except they only use it in certain small spots to solve a specific echo problem caused by the shape of the room, so they don't use it everywhere since they don't really want the whole room to be totally dead.

Of course this is a lot of time & trouble, and I don't know how well it works with gunshots. What we were doing in our dead room was a lot less noisy than a gun.

17. tehan2

tehan2 NRA & GOAL

have you thought of this

[​IMG]