Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to start on a batch of 9mm. For batch I lightly lubing the brass. As I did this, I started noticing that there were .380 brass in the batch.

I use one of those progressively smaller opening sifter style sorters. Because .380 and 9mm are the same diameter cases, the .380 are not being sifted out. What is a good way to get those .380 brass out of the batch of 9mm brass before I start re-loading?

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
I've gotten really fast at standing the cases up and corralling them together. Now I can sight across the top and the short 380's stand out. Of course, there's always one 380 case that's an over achiever and makes it to the press.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I bought an aluminum sifter on the 'net, maybe from Midway. With precisely machined slots, supposedly big enough to let .380 drop through but small enough to stop 9mm; the rim diameter on 9mm is bigger. It worked fine with all brands of .380 brass except Remington.
Remington .380 brass fired in my pair of G42's expands enough that it too doesn't drop through. That was fixed by taking some of the offending R-P cases and carefully draw-filing the slots in the sifter until the openings let all of the .380 drop through but none of the 9mm.

I've sifted over 5k mixed empty cases, all of the .380 now drop through and all of the 9mm stay on top. The only issue is that the 9mm cases will lay in the slots and "clog" them after a hundred rds or so, but it's easy to just tip the strainer bucket to remove the 9mm before that happens. Much faster than any method of hand sorting.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
If I don't catch them ahead of time, I catch them in the sizer. They go in really easily. Lastly, the case gauge makes them obvious, and they get pulled.

I don't worry about it too much.

·
DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.
10,190 Posts
I have the shell sorters and .380 plate but do not care for the plate. I just stand the brass on the bench then using a small HF needle nose plier that are spring loaded to the open position. Put the nose of the players in the case and let them open and pull the case out. That way you are not nocking cases everywhere.
Also looking for stepped cases that might have snuck in.

Reactions: PM720

·
Ninja
2,788 Posts
I find 380 and stepped cases when I run brass through my roll-sizer. Just a bright light facing down and they both stand out really well.

·
Registered
36,239 Posts
I look at so mch brass I can just spot them in a group of 9mm. If one slips by, it gets caught when I size, they offer little resistance.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I was loading on my 650 today and noticed one felt different. It was a 9x18 MAK. I threw it out this time but I must have loaded it once in the past.

·
Brass picker
655 Posts
I use the shell sorted trays and when just the 9mm and 380 are left I drop a hand full into one of those plastic MTM shell boxes with the lids we use to hold ammo. They come in different calibers and I have a few for 40 & 45 that work great for sorting 9mm/380. Shake it a little and all the cases drop into the holes case mouth up. The 380’s are noticeably shorter and easy to see. I pick them out with a needle nose pliers.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I've gotten really fast at standing the cases up and corralling them together. Now I can sight across the top and the short 380's stand out. Of course, there's always one 380 case that's an over achiever and makes it to the press.
^ this :goodpost:

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I just use an MTM 100 round plastic Box. Put them in headstamp up. That way you can sort .380 from 9mm and also segregate headstamps, which I sometimes do. It's pretty quick.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
You don’t have to sit there and watch it, wouldn’t be much better than by hand if you did.

Fill up the collator connected to the feed tube, turn them both on and go about your business.

You likely can’t load them that fast, if you watch again it’s checking at a rate of over 2,400/hour.

The device was actually part of my first bullet collator. Back then MA Systems was the only collator out there and they said on "square" bullets like the 45 ACP they had a 1:1000 inverted rate. Not much better than what I had come up with but your average speed goes to hell if you have to stop and fix things.

So that device would let the bullet pass onto the feed tube if the smaller tip was up but if the larger OD of the base was up, the door opened and it dropped into a bin on the side.

failsafe.jpg
complete.jpg

I never once had to wait on a bullet, the same thing could be done on the case feed side.

To your point, the sorter I posted in #12 is much faster, it can go through a 5 gallon bucket of brass every 15 minutes.

·
299 Posts
I usually line them up and bring my eyes down to the table and check out the height.

When carry permits became a thing and 380s became popular I remember how hard (to find) and expensive 380 ammo was. When I was buying brass and picking up at range there was a time someone or some people were cutting down 9mm to load as 380 so that made sorting difficult based on stamps.

This hasn't been an issue for me in years though.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts