GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
I don't even know....what I'm doing here....
8,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, through hard work and good luck, I've been promoted to Maintenance Director at my place of employment. That finds me putting down my tools and picking up a phone a a computer mouse more often.

On the go computing is more important that ever, and I find myself struggling with a combination of my old 4S Iphone, and my 7" Android tablet. I'm thinking of trading the phone (I know, long overdue) for either the newer larger Iphone or just switching to the feature rich Android.

My question is, which would be best for business? Other than the obvious screen size and clarity, stability, low maintenance, and app quality are key for me as well.

I just can't keep switching back and forth between the phone, the tablet, as well as the Outlook software on my office machine. Appointments are getting missed, or are overlapping, and it has to stop.

Help?

·
NRA Life Member
14,387 Posts
If you need larger and you need it now, Android. The larger iPhone is only a rumor at this point and won't available until at least Sept.

·
BLR
7,414 Posts
If your main concern is good communication consider the Blackberry Z30. The Blackberry Hub is an excellent organizational tool. The 5 inch screen of the Z30 is also quite nice.

·
Luggage
4,920 Posts
Since you're already comfortable with either platform, there's no reason not to go Android. All the power, more flexibility (Micro SD cards, HDMI cables, etc.), just as many apps and users, and less expensive.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Android. Bigger screens are great for email etc. Besides, I despise Apple and their rip-off strategies.

·
Registered
15,312 Posts
I'm around a lot of iPhones and Andriod phones.

iPhones pros - everything works a notch better, voice quality, bluetooth, batteries work better longer and iPhones are tougher. Before you buy anything look at every iPhone and every Samsung you see for a week. You'll almost certainly see fewer broken iPhone screens.

I just picked up a new 5s and it is indeed noticeably bigger than the earlier format.

That said if you really need big go Android.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Older or brand new HTC One has iPhone-like build quality, in case you go Android.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
I'm in maintenance also and use my IPhone 5s and IPad Air. Everything syncs together really well. Calendar, reminders, task list all stay updated automatically. That said, Samsung is killing me with that new S5 and it's screen size. I'm waiting till Sep to see what Apple does. They are going bigger, we just don't know which size yet.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I'm in maintenance also and use my IPhone 5s and IPad Air. Everything syncs together really well. Calendar, reminders, task list all stay updated automatically. That said, Samsung is killing me with that new S5 and it's screen size. I'm waiting till Sep to see what Apple does. They are going bigger, we just don't know which size yet.
I believe that the S5 is also dust and water resistant. Like 20 minutes in 3 feet of water resistant.

We have a mix of android and iPhone at work. People seem to be happy with whatever they have. Very few switching from one to the other.

Of the 75 or so that I've seen at work, I've only seen 2 broken screens, both iPhone and both abuse that probably would've broken an android as well.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
BLR
7,414 Posts
I have a co-worker who has the Samsung S5. That thing is huge. It's really a mini-tablet.

I've had Blackberry's for years and I still recommend them for the areas they are strong in, but that S5 could be a game changer.

·
NRA Life Member
14,387 Posts
I have a co-worker who has the Samsung S5. That thing is huge. It's really a mini-tablet.

I've had Blackberry's for years and I still recommend them for the areas they are strong in, but that S5 could be a game changer.
I don't think the S5 is out yet?

·
8,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well it was a Samsung and the screen was at least 6 inches maybe more. He's out of the office until Thursday, I'll double check when he gets back.
I'll bet he has the S3 Note, and it is a beast. It is one I'm considering, however. I know it looks a little clumsy as a phone, but at least I wouldn't have to carry around a tablet AND a phone.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Android for me and here's why. I used an iPhone 3GS for work for a few years. It was a massive upgrade to the at-the-time Blackberry. Then my wife got a Samsung Galaxy S3 and OH THAT SCREEN! So I went out and replaced my aging 3GS with a Galaxy S3.

From a general user-interface perspective, the significantly larger screen is a pure joy to work with. I was also able to throw in a 32GB micro-SD card rather than shelling out hundreds of dollars for a larger iPhone. The most amazing aspect for me has been the calendar. When I integrated my phone with the Outlook server at work, it sync'd up my work calendar with my Android calendar. This by itself is not unique or special. But with Android, you can have the alarm (I use my phone as an alarm clock) set to read wake you up with "info". My phone reads my alarm title, "Billy wake up now", then reads the weather forecast for the day and a brief news update, then it tells me how many events I have on my calendar for the day and reads me their titles. It even tells me who's having a birthday today based on Facebook. This single integration has been absolutely amazing for me, reminding me of things I have to get done that day. My wife loves it too and will literally put things on my calendar titled, "Anna defrost the chicken" so she remembers to take out meet a day or two before she wants to make something.

·
Mr. CISSP, CISA
24,040 Posts
Recently, through hard work and good luck, I've been promoted to Maintenance Director at my place of employment. That finds me putting down my tools and picking up a phone a a computer mouse more often.

On the go computing is more important that ever, and I find myself struggling with a combination of my old 4S Iphone, and my 7" Android tablet. I'm thinking of trading the phone (I know, long overdue) for either the newer larger Iphone or just switching to the feature rich Android.

My question is, which would be best for business? Other than the obvious screen size and clarity, stability, low maintenance, and app quality are key for me as well.

I just can't keep switching back and forth between the phone, the tablet, as well as the Outlook software on my office machine. Appointments are getting missed, or are overlapping, and it has to stop.

Help?
This is not a technology question.

This is a question of how do you want to use it. A real computer with a decent size screen it's going to be much better then an Android tablet or an iPad or telephone. They are you less useful and more portable in that order.

Or to put it in a different way if you need the portability of a cell phone that you can put in your pocket then you need to use a cell phone. If you don't mind caring a larger tablet then it would be a better choice to do business functions. Of course that means you would have to still have a phone in your pocket to call people. If you can sit down at a desk and use a laptop it will be better for all business functions vs tablet, vs phone.

Hope this helps

·
Mr. CISSP, CISA
24,040 Posts
I'll bet he has the S3 Note, and it is a beast. It is one I'm considering, however. I know it looks a little clumsy as a phone, but at least I wouldn't have to carry around a tablet AND a phone.
I'm just spotting this post.

Let's look at this a different way. I don't know what you do so its hard to make it a reasonable recommendation.

If you had a tablet what would you do on the tablet. If you have the best newest cell phone what would you do on a cell phone.

Is there a reason why carrying something bigger heavier doesn't work for you?
Are you lacking a spot where you can put a laptop or desktop to do leave computer functions?

·
8,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Did you read my original post?

That would answer your question 1 and 2, and those are the crux of my situation.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts