Sorry, but I couldn't pass up this deal on Shield

Discussion in 'Smith & Wesson Club' started by snowbird.40, May 7, 2017.

1. mley1

mley1

I shot my new Shield 45 on Monday. I put about 150rnds through it with zero malfunctions. It's an accurate pistol for being so small. I was also pleasantly surprised at the lack of recoil in the gun. It's really not bad at all. I really enjoyed shooting it. The ammo cost is the only negative I can think of. I too have a decent supply of 9mm. However, I'll be stocking up on more 45. I really like my new Shield 45. I think you would too.

2. TexasRonin

TexasRonin

I also picked up the PSA 45.

Put 200 rounds thru it. Three different kinds of factory ammo. Had w few failure to feed that were easily remedied. I didn't worry much about them much. Chalked em up to new gun break in.

Several of the malfunctions were during weak hand practice. Suspect limp wrist was the culprit.

Mags are very stiff to the point that I initially thought they were defective. I couldn't load more than 3 rounds without some serious straining. Discovered that if you tap the mag on the palm of your hand to seat each round it helps a lot. I think the mag springs have to have direct downward pressure to load. Tapping the mags aligns the cartridges so you can get that direct pressure.

Initial impressions are good. I'll reevaluate after a few hundred more rounds.

3. mley1

mley1

The stiff mags were troublesome for me too. I ordered a universal Uplula mag loader immediately after getting the pistol. It works great, and makes loading the mags so much easier.

4. Jkstrglkstr

Jkstrglkstr

I really notice the better control with less muzzle jump with the porting ! I notice no more noise with ports. It comes out on angle and nothing back at ya ! I don't think the little dirt was bad at all. I have grease on barrel to break her in lol. So she spit up a bit lol

mley1 likes this.
  5. mley1

mley1

Thanks for that info. It's a nice looking gun!

6. Jkstrglkstr

Jkstrglkstr

IMG_1388.JPG IMG_1389.JPG IMG_1390.JPG OMG tonight my new factory 8 round came in and felt smoother than the one with my perf center built gun! I unloaded and loaded again and saw a spring wire not looking right . Pulled it apart and OMG Great !!!! I honestly shot 125 out of this mag and it bends a spring !!! Nice . Now I'm scared . Boy is Smith getting a call tomorrow !!

7. Jkstrglkstr

Jkstrglkstr

Holy crap springs Smith !! Google it ! Major issues with springs. I'm ordering a 6 pack from Wolff tomorrow ! Smith can pound it with this junk spring problem ! Glock mags are freakin the best !!!

8. Hondo123

Hondo123

Surprised you didn't say anything about the amazingly long trigger reset. That will take some getting use to for me.

9. Jkstrglkstr

Jkstrglkstr

It is the Perf Center gun . The trigger rocks awesomeness except the swivel point needs to be higher ! If you finger it too high it won't work the swivel right

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  10. mley1

mley1

Hondo, it doesn't seem that bad to me. I like the trigger in fact. It feels smoother and lighter than my 43 or 42. I seem to be more comfortable shooting it. It just fits my hands like a glove. The two issues I mentioned are now non issues. The mags are better now, and I have a Maglula to load them with. What I thought was corrosion on the ssn seems to actually be a coating of some kind. And I see others have the same thing on their Shields.

I love the Shield 45!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Deputydave

Deputydave Millennium Member

Just bought my first this morning (9mm). $370 and it was new with night sights and 150 rounds of FMJ and 20 rounds of HP. Felt that was a respectable deal.

Dcc65 likes this.
  12. Bob1911

Bob1911

I love my 45 shield, I don't leave home with out it. It' fun to shoot.

13. 19/42 Guy

19/42 Guy

You will not regret getting the Shield. Great gun and a tack driver!

Dcc65 likes this.
  14. forty5

forty5

I have a M&P 40 Shield,and love it.

15. Pistolay

Pistolay Wut? Silver Member

That's a well known problem. I put Wolff springs in all my Shield mags and have never had a problem with them. Some folks also go the MagGuts route, but I've had occasional feed problems with them.

16. Chucky Cheese

Chucky Cheese

Been carrying it every day for last couple of years and love it. Doesn't beat you up at the range either, shoots like a full size gun. I use Tulster IWB holster. Highly recommend

17. Chucky Cheese

Chucky Cheese

I have both 9 and 45. How does the 40 shoot? Is it a lot more snappy? Just curious, b/c thinking about adding one to the mix

18. Bob1911

Bob1911

I carry my shield 45 every day. For the 45 it very soft to shoot.

mley1 likes this.
  19. Turk3196

Turk3196

Imo the Shield is the best single stack on the market. Especially the new 2.0 version. I have an original that is my EDC and has been for 5 years.

mley1 likes this.