Sorry, but I couldn't pass up this deal on Shield

Discussion in 'Smith & Wesson Club' started by snowbird.40, May 7, 2017.

1. Nomosudz

Nomosudz

I was hoping someone would answer this...and shed some light.

2. Bozz10mm

Bozz10mm

I've had a Shield 9 for 3 1/2 years. Really nice pistol. When the 45 version came out, I wanted one, but didn't want to spend the $400 that they were going for. Then I saw The Sportsman's Outdoor SuperStore was selling them for $345 with a $75 rebate. So for 270, I couldnt pass it up.

Now I see the prices are dropping even more. Could have saved $40 if I would have waited a few weeks.

3. SWFlGuy

SWFlGuy Lifetime NRA member

Lol, I bought mine full price when they first came out.
    I still like it alot though.

4. Nomosudz

Nomosudz

I enjoyed shooting my new .45 shield today, for the first time. It felt great, the trigger obviously alot different than the glock, and quite a handful in comparison.
    I loved every minute of it...
    And the stop at the dollar store for 6 - 2 liter bottles of crappy Orange soda was well worth it. They explode nicely when spanked by the .45 round.
    I ran 150 rounds of 230g fmj, then it started getting expensive...so I pulled the G19 out of the bag and blew through a box. I believe I may carry the shield for a few days; keep training with it...see how confident I feel with it as an edc. I can't see shooting the glock any less though, and will, of course; still use it in class.
    Whatever the case, what a great purchase...best $225 I ever spent. (well, close)

Big1 and SWFlGuy like this.
  5. Dcc65

Dcc65 State of Jefferson Resident

I have 2 Shields in 9mm and 1 in .40 Love all 3 of them. My advice is to keep an eye in The mag. Release area of the gun. They are prone to rusting in that area. My .40 and 1 of my 9's have had this problem. And it can make the mag. Difficult to eject and make inserting a fresh mag. Nearly impossible to seat. Not saying that it's going to happen on all of them, but it has happened on 2 out of 3 of mine. I removed the mag release button and cleaned it up with a wire wheel, then coated it with the copper anti seize compound. So far so good. I suspect that it is a problem more so in hot humid climates and for folks who carry iwb. If anyone else out there has had the same problem I would appreciate your feedback.
    p.s. There are quite a few YouTube videos out there on this same subject.

6. edellson

edellson

It must be contagious, because I have got that I cant get enough sickness too!

7. Big1

Big1

I'm suppose to be going to my FFL about getting one sometime this week, I will see I have the 9mm and is ready to get the .45 acp.

8. Nomosudz

Nomosudz

Appreciate the heads up. Haven't heard of that before, but will definitely keep an eye on it.

Dcc65 likes this.
  9. Hondo123

Hondo123

I picked up a Shield .45 through Palmetto State Armory for $229 after the rebate. 6+1 single stack. This is the first .45 I've picked up, and thought it might be a nice alternative EDC for my FNS-40C. Got it onto the range Friday evening, and this is what I can tell you:

First, it was more of a "soft shooter" than I expected. Some online videos I watched suggested the .45 M&P Shield might feel "snappy", but I didn't find this to be the case. Even with the shorter magazine, it was eminently controllable. I was shooting Winchester FMJ 230 grain. I normally practice with .40 in a variety of guns.

Second, my first shots on target were slightly to the left of dead center at 15 yards. So in terms of being able to hit what you're shooting at, the M&P does just fine.

Third, it feels good in the hand, but that's to be expected for me with a single stack. It's size was "just right" for my hand. The texture on the grip was great and the gun stayed in my hand without any slipping.

And now for rest:

Fourth, reset is looooooong compared to my Glock and FNs. Didn't like it. In terms of the full range of motion for the trigger, my FNS-40C and Glock feel like they reset about 20% of their return. The M&P Shield felt like it was more like 40-60%. That's a pretty dang long reset to your next shot IMHO.

Fifth, on the fourth magazine I shot with this gun, I got an FTL, which greatly surprised me. Looked like there was something the round didn't like about the ramp, because it looked like the round just started to go up the bottom of the ramp, but then stopped. A quick pull back on the slide moved the round into the chamber, but it still surprised me a bit when that happened with decent factory ammo. Now maybe the ramp just needs to wear a bit with some more shooting, but it made me wonder in terms of an EDC. Perhaps this will not crop up again. I had only Winchester ammo with me, so didn't get a chance to try different brands. My Glock and FNs will eat anything I feed them and shoot all day long without issue. I did notice my Glock gets a little cranky after it starts getting fouled. The FN just laughs it all off and keeps shooting.

Final conclusion? A nice little pistol - I'm happy with it, especially at the price. It will remain a range gun until I get some more rounds through it. If it proves itself dependable, I'll use it as an alternate EDC.

10. Hondo123

Hondo123

That PSA Deal was the best one going after they lowered the price a second time to $299. Prior to that, I think Kentucky Gun Co. had the best price. I picked up my .45 at PSA. You can read my thoughts on it in this thread.

11. Cpt.America

Cpt.America

Hes not, hes pulling the slide back slightly out of battery and letting it fall back into battery under its own spring tension, simulating something like bumping the front of the slide on something accidentally, like during a scuffle or moving through a house. The gun SHOULD fall directly back into battery, and the fire control systems should still function, even though the slide was bumped.

12. Hondo123

Hondo123

That also surprised me a LOT. This was my first .45, and when I took a look at the physical size of the rounds compared to my .40s, I was thinking I might have some wrist issues after shooting a few mags, but found it to compare very favorably with my full-size .40s.

13. Hondo123

Hondo123

They are plenty grippy enough. No need for Talons.

14. snowbird.40

snowbird.40

I've been away from the forums for awhile, so it was interesting to read through all the responses. I actually got a chance to shoot my 9mm Shield in an IDPA match on Saturday. No problems whatsoever and in the heat of a timed match, I had no issues with the trigger ... felt like my Glocks.

The scores haven't been posted yet, but I'll be interested to see how I fared in the CCP division with a borrowed holster, borrowed mag carrier and borrowed 8-round magazine. All I brought to the party was the gun and two mags that came with the purchase.

All-in-all, shooting the Shield was a very positive experience.

SWFlGuy likes this.
  15. mley1

mley1

I wanted to update my post on the Shield 45 I ordered from PSA. I ordered it on the 9th, and it shipped on the morning of the 16th, exactly 7 days from the date I ordered. On the website my shipping showed to be UPS ground. However, they shipped it UPS 2 day air. And, it should be arriving tomorrow at my FFL, at least that is what the tracking shows to be. So, that was a very pleasant surprise.

16. mley1

mley1

Just got a notice that my Shield 45 is at my FFL!! I'll be picking it up today!! While it took PSA a full 7 days to ship, once they shipped it they used 2 day air UPS. I got no complaints on the shipping.

17. snowbird.40

snowbird.40

Good luck mley1. I haven't shot any Shield before last week when I got in about 50 rounds before the IDPA match. The thought of a .45 is enticing, but with my current stash of 9mm and the gel tests I've been watching (mainly Lucky Gunner website), I'm confident that if I place the bullet where it needs to go, the rest will follow the ballistics proof. Hope I never have to test the theory.

18. mley1

mley1

My initial impression of the Shield 45 is good. I like the grip, size, and weight of the gun. The sights are better than any stock Glock sights. And the trigger pull.............TONs better than either of my Glocks. Just dry firing a few times, the trigger was very smooth, and seemed much lighter than my Glock 43 or 42. I don't have a trigger scale. However, if I were to hazard a guess, I'd guess below 6lbs. Probably a lot below.

I do have a couple issues with the gun. The serial number plate on it has a good amount of corrosion on it. And, the serial number was hard to read. The other issue is the magazines. Like others have noted, they were extremely stiff to load. What I noticed was that it seemed the front of the cartridge carrier was a bit tight, and sticking. I'm going to put a couple drops of lube inside the mags and see if that helps. I'll update if it does. I was able to load the mags to capacity. It was just more difficult than it should have been.

19. Jkstrglkstr

Jkstrglkstr

IMG_1379.JPG IMG_1380.JPG IMG_1381.JPG
    Not from the perf center! Safety only , so I got that with saftey! A perf center, ported , trigger job! HiViz 3 dot sights too !Shot 125 thru today for the first time. Dead nuts on with 124 Gr awesome.
    Smooth awesome trigger has my 43 beat hands down!
    Ok I'm a Glock die hard but loved the old SnW guns! $350 for this got my interest!
    Ok my final thoughts for now ...Shield wins with price,trigger, less recoil that is damn comfortable with my 124 plusP Speer LE
    BOTH accurate as hell!
    Both Reliable perfectly so far.
    Glock has extreamly nicer magazines that are so smooth!
    Glock is way easier and simpler to take 100 percent apart !
    Shields recoil spring stays put , not like sloppy Glock one.
    Shield 8plus 1
    Both feel perfect in my grip and control to point of aim easy.
    Shield stainless barrel and slide ! No rust !
    Shield hiViz Awesome sights way better than Glock
    Pic of 125 shots thru ports with next to NO DIRT AT ALL ! Way cool
    I'll keep my 43 but this Shield Perf Center is the cats meow for a $350 ccw
    Smith got me back , great work !

20. mley1

mley1

Are there many benefits to that ported barrel and slide? From the looks of the marks and carbon on the slide, they get pretty dirty during shooting. I'm not sure I'd enjoy shooting a pistol with a ported barrel and slide. What's it like? Louder? Gases coming back at you?