Soooo... I'm gonna be a training officer

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Gangrel, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Gangrel

Gangrel

Woohoo!

The final selection list came out today. I'm pumped. I've wanted to do it since I started. Hopefully it's all I ever dreamed ;)

2. PinkoCommie

PinkoCommie Unusual Member

I'm two weeks in with my first trainee. So far she is making my job easy. Sure, she makes mistakes, but nothing I wouldn't expect at this stage.

The paper, though... geez! I do a lot of writing, considering she does all the reports!

3. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

so what does that do to the saying"those that can't do ...teach"

Disprove it or..............................................:cool:

4. Patchman

Patchman Florist

I've found that a new worker's first impressions kind of sets the tone. So great FTOs are important.

5. CW Mock

CW Mock

Congratulations!

I don't know what your selection/certification process is like, but ours is pretty tough, and an accomplishment. Sounds like you have been wanting this quite a while!

Now you are in for the fun, frustrating part. Try to stay positive, no matter how good or bad the recruit is - your sanity depends on it. I'll be honest here, it was not all I dreamed, and in some ways it was more. The liability and responsibility are incredible. But, the chance to make a good cop is far too good to pass up. Like the others said, you are the first impression. Show em how to go out and kick *** - but in the correct way.

My first recruit didn't make it. I wanted him to make it, but it just wasn't there. I spent a lot of time wondering and trying to find ways to make it work, so he could get what he needed to. In the end though, sometimes you just have to sling load, and cut them loose. Best of wishes to you the first time out. Do what you have to, and if that means getting rid of them, so be it.

6. JBaird22

JBaird22

The FTO process is probably one of the most important in a department. It establishes new member's first impressions and attitudes toward law enforcement. Being a FTO is full of liability and stress.

That said, I love being a training officer. There is nothing better than watching someone develop into a good police officer and knowing you had a little to do with it.

7. Gangrel

Gangrel

So how many training hours should be spent on the benefits and proper handling of 10mms?

8. Broke Hoss

Broke Hoss

Congrats ! My 1st rook just got his 20 year pin. FTO/PTO can be a blast, but can be stressfull as well. But it is truly 1 of the most important jobs you'll tackle. This could be a step toward promotion; it is an oppertunity to not only show your leadership skills, but to develop them further.

9. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

I thought you were debating being a SRO or FTO? Good choice though, FTO is the best job in the whole department. SRO is the worst... next to being a patrolman who is not in patrol but can't make rank to do anything else.

I was a FTO and it was the best job and most rewarding experience. Watching your boot pick up what works and getting out there and doing their own thing is a great feeling. Watching them grow and develop their own style and get through calls on their own with the training you provided instills a certain sense of pride that can only be felt, it's hard to describe.

Oh... you also get free food, and someone to carry your warbag and take all your paper... what else can be better?

10. Gangrel

Gangrel

SRO was just an opportunity that came up which I considered for a bit. I did have a dilemma of SWAT or FTO, for a bit. I decided to stick to my guns and do what I wanted (FTO) and not just what'd be fun (SWAT).

I'm glad waiting paid off ;)

The class is in about three weeks. In theory, I could have a recruit at the end of March.

We generally don't do the "buy our food" tradition here though... They have to buy the entire shift breakfast instead!

11. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

You will never properly handle a 10mm. Everyone who shot a 10mm is just lucky so far. 10mm controls you, not the other way around.

If 10mm wants to go out late at night, it's gone. If 10mm wants ice cream, it gets ice cream. If 10mm wants to sleep, you better not make a peep.

12. Gangrel

Gangrel

Good point. I don't need to get sued by some dude's family if I unleash the fury of the 10mm on him too soon

13. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Rookies have been instantly vaporized just being in the presence of a 10mm round. They have not been toughened up by the streets enough to hold their cells together.

14. Gangrel

Gangrel

So... any advice, guys?

Should I stock up on the Aleve ahead of time?

I remember in my latter phases of training my FTOs wouldn't even bring their warbag. Just a backpack with the essentials in it. That way if I forgot a form or a template or something... nowhere to turn but my own shame ;)

15. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

You have been selected for a reason. Part of it is to share of the job that part that is you. Bring yourself, and be the best trainer you can be, beyond the expectations of the position.

16. fnhp35

fnhp35

Hahahaha, you as an SRO, that'd make me laugh. Congrats though.... hope you like journaling. Oh, and I still need to see your LMT stock. Don't freeze tonight.

17. South Fla

South Fla ©South Fla 2018

Those who can....do.

Those that can't....teach.

:supergrin:

18. 4949shooter

4949shooter

Stock up on patience...

I remember one recruit I had. It was Easter Sunday near the end of our shift. We were completing a report, and I was telling him what to write. He hesitated, and I asked, "What's the matter?"

He replied, "That isn't the way it happened, Sir."

Well, I instantly lapsed into a state of rage, and after having a few choice words to say to my little friend, I just walked out of the report room, left him at the computer, and went home. I heard the sergeant say to him as I was walking out, "Rough day, T***?" :rofl:

Anyhoo, T was a bit hard headed, but he turned out to be a good trooper. He went on to make detective, and has made FTO 49 proud.

All my recruits went on to be detectives, or made it on to other specialized units. Two of my guys are on our elite TEAMS unit, which is a combined SWAT and scuba team. These young guys have made me a proud Papa.

The rewards may come late, but they will come if you do your best, which I know you will. But do expect there to be bumps in the road.

Anyhoo, I didn't intend to ramble this long.

Congrats!

19. VinVega

VinVega Duct Tape?

I was made an FTO after about 10 months of being solo. That was a bit stressful, but I took it as my boss telling me I wasn't an F-Up. I'm currently on my third, and it's not so bad. The hardest parts for me have been teaching geography and report writing. I never realized how much trouble some new cops have with writing reports. And you'll constantly want to take over to get things moving quicker.

My most terrifying experiences with new officers has been those first couple of hot call runs. You're in the passenger's seat with no control of the vehicle. They're all adrenalie goofed, so they go the wrong way, go too fast, don't look at the intersections as well as you're sure you do, etc. Even had one turn the siren OFF when trying to switch tones. But that's why you're with them...to let them know what they need to work on.

Good luck.

20. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

You never taught them to stop being afraid of criminals and other big bad nasty things?:whistling: