Sooo... 9mm vs 10mm...

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by BlkSheep, Feb 8, 2018.

1. flieger67

flieger67

Actually, there are a number of 11mm cartridges: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/11_mm_caliber

2. NMG26

NMG26

11mm=.433 inches, that is close to a 45

3. G19 fan

G19 fan

Guess I need to find a bigger "JUST KIDDING" emoji.

NMG26 likes this.
  4. agtman

agtman 10mm Philosopher

You're aging me :rofl: ... but yes, you're correct. Seems like ancient history now.

Back in those days Mike McNett and I were exchanging PMs, and later emails, on various 10mm load data, and he mentioned he was considering going commercial out of his garage where he'd been reloading for the 10mm and experimenting with hybrid powders for years. For testing platforms for his experiments, he used a stock G29 and a stock G20.

I was trying to push Speer's now-discontinued 190gn 10mm JFP over 1200fps, and he gave me data to get it there which he'd developed using those same bullets and AA7. Mike was very helpful. I had about 800 of those bullets back then, and I used most of them to build up a cache of full-power practice & training ammo for my G20, and my old, now-retired S&W 1076. They chrono-ed at an average m.v. of 1220fps.

This was in the very early 2000s, and a year or so later, Mike officially opened DT.

The initial 10mm loads he released under the DT label, which I posted the first online review of here on the 10Ring, used 165gn & 180gn Remington Golden Saber HPs (at something like 1425fps and 1350fps respectively).

IIRC, he followed up those two loads about 6-months later with a Nosler 135gn JHP load at 1600+fps. At the time he said he'd received a huge number of requests from 10mm users in urban areas wanting a load that wouldn't overpenetrate if fired in a thin-walled apartment or out on the street.

An online outfit back then called Ammo Lab, which often posted their test results on Caliber Corner, eventually tested this 135gn load. They indicated that penetration averaged like, 9" in ballistic gel, but created a wound channel that was 'devastating,' like nothing they'd previously seen from a 'service cartridge.' Impacting a human thoracic cavity, such a wound, they concluded, would be 'non-survivable.' At the time, that was pretty good press for a family-owned, start-up ammo company first built around a series of full-throttle 10mm defensive loads.

Anyway, ... thanks for the impromptu excuse to take a trip down memory lane. :thumbsup:

:cool:

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
  5. Tito's Glock

Tito's Glock

Indeed old friend, I was actively PMing Mike with my results from VV 3N38 and power pistol. from my G29 and G20. Seems like just the other day.....

LuckyDuck, Quade and agtman like this.
  6. tallTexasdude

tallTexasdude

First time I shot an M-16, I was unimpressed. Had more fun shooting shotguns and deer rifles. M-16 is a hell of a rifle, but I don’t care for it. Same with a 10mm vs a 9mm. 10mm all day every day!

4949shooter and agtman like this.