Soon to be soloing. Any advice?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Lior, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Lior

Lior GUNS=FREEDOM

GTers,

By now I have 11 hours on the Jet Fox 97 and my instructor things I shall soon be soloing (he's in the army this week, so I'm flying with another instructor today).

Does anyone have any last minute words of advice in case I solo today?

2. annielulu

annielulu StraightShooter

When I did it a few years ago I was really nervous. However, when I was taxied into "position and hold" I went on auto pilot from previous training. After I lifted off it was just like any other flight.

Don't be worried. Your instructor wouldn't let you go if he wasn't sure of your capabilities. You will be fine. You will never forget your first solo.

As an added bonus, on the way home from the airport I stopped in a local mart for some pet food. Put five bucks in the slot machine and hit a Royal Flush for a grand.

It was a very good day!

:)

3. Samson

Samson

You'll probably be so 'robotic' that you won't even realize you're alone until after your first landing (or touch n go)..

Just follow your checklists and you'll be fine.

Good luck and have fun!

I did my first solo in June and passed my check-ride a week ago. The fun will only get better for you now!

:supergrin:

4. jtull7

jtull7 Pistolero CLM

If your instructor is a traditionalist, wear an old shirt. ( first soloed in 1969, and my instructor was).

5. Tennessee Slim

Tennessee Slim Señor Member CLM

Remember that much less competent pilots than you have survived soloing.

6. c6601a

c6601a

Just curious, how do you know his competence level to be able to make such a statement??

7. citori59

citori59 Lock Guru

just don't wear a good shirt but make sure you wear one that doesn't embarrass you.

8. panos1

panos1 Guest

Don't crash! Don't get a flight violation!

9. hokieglock

hokieglock Proud Infidel

enjoy it.:thumbsup: you'll soon be in a rare club. next get your mile high box checked.:banana: :banana:

10. sopdan

sopdan

Well, let's just say (for me, not TN) that I've seen a few students solo... not mine... that the O.P. couldn't be any worse than.

I know this is late, so congrats on your assumed solo!

11. c6601a

c6601a

I would ask you the same question: How do you KNOW that a person you have not flown with is not worse than xxx or is ready for solo? If you are the type who uses the logic of "couldn't be worse than..." in his aviation decisionmaking, we will all read about you in the NTSB reports.

12. sopdan

sopdan

Get over yourself. And just b/c they weren't my students, doesn't mean I never flew with them at some point after they had soloed.

13. c6601a

c6601a

Wow! you dont know how to read either. The question was not about the so called students that you flew or did not fly with. The question was how you were able to asses the OP's qualifications for solo.

14. sopdan

sopdan

You did in fact ask about a comparison between the two. The students I am referencing were as bad as you could get. So, by default and common sense, however bad the OP was, he could not be worse.

See where I'm going with that? It's not as complicated and as big of an issue as you're trying to make this into. Seriously.

15. c6601a

c6601a

Please pass my condolences to their family. If a student is "as bad as you could get" they they must have killed themselves while soloing.

16. TimC

TimC Uhavthecontrols

I am also curious to know exactly how bad is "bad as you can get"...

17. Lior

Lior GUNS=FREEDOM

Well I finally soloed last week and did it again this week. Now have 17 hours of flying, of which about one is as pilot I/C. The excitement!

18. dozing4dollars

dozing4dollars Plasticized ! CLM

Congratulations on your new flight experience!

With your one hour of PIC, build upon each additional hour of flight time with a desire to "be perfect". Never accept mediocrity in flying and strive to learn something new on each sortie.

Above all, I will offer you this sage advice, given to me in my early days of flying by a USAF Colonel and veteran combat fighter pilot: "Lieutenant, always fly comfortably! If you are outside of your comfort zone, do whatever you have to do, to get back in it."

After nearly 31 years of jet flying, I employed this advice just yesterday: Our destination was getting WOXOFF with freezing fog and snow. The airport was conducting a runway change to optimize approach acceptance rates. We couldn't shoot a CAT3 because of the FAIR to POOR braking action reports to the only active runway. As we were established on a CAT2 final, I told my two former fighter pilot FO's that I wasn't comfortable with the newly updated POOR reports and we were breaking off the approach. The narrowbody airliners continued to land on the affected runway but I did not want to land my HEAVY jet on that questionable runway. I queried Approach and they said that the longer runway would not be open for 15-20 minutes or so. We had just enough "playtime" fuel to loiter that long and still divert to either of our two alternates.

We got vectored off the approach, conducted the third CAT 2/3 approach briefing and then shot a CAT2 ILS to the then opened longer runway that had just been plowed and sanded. The AUTOLAND and ROLLOUT were normal. The taxiways and ramp were almost NIL in braking action.

Bottom line: no matter what your experience level, FLY COMFORTABLY ! If that little voice is telling you that you are not comfortable with the situation, find a way to get back into your comfort zone.:supergrin:

FLY SAFE !

19. jacquejet

jacquejet

My instructor in UPT told me:
    "Don't fly at night, don't fly in the weather and don't mess with red guarded switches."

20. Tennessee Slim

Tennessee Slim Señor Member CLM

Now that that’s done, and now that you know that flying idiot circles isn’t especially hard, I can tell you the most important advice I could give you is not to be nervous. Since you obviously can’t will yourself into not being nervous, the next best thing is to give you something to boost your confidence.

Congratulations. Now go smash some more bernoullis.