Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hola all,

I am changing careers. Again. I am leaving Federal service (security) due to something about refusing to get a shot? I don't get it. Anyway I already have a new job lined up; criminal investigator for a District Attorney's Office. Now I have some questions.

What is a good belt? I would like to find something stiff enough to handle a Glock 19 with a light, two spare mags and a set of handcuffs. There may be more but I don't thing I will be carrying a baton or other LL device. Also it has to fit through the belt loops of dress pants and some of my suits only have the short ones.

What are some good shoes? Something that is comfortable enough to be on your feet all day, dressy enough for court/suit and tie, and "tactical" enough for all four seasons, a foot pursuit and a knock down/drag out?

Does anyone make dress shirts that can stretch a little? Something with decent give if you have to move (run/fight/shoot).

What are some other items of kit that will make life better/safer/easier/smarter? Like a tactical pen or a tiny bottle of Sabre Red. Stuff like that.

Can anyone provide a coat to get that will work with a suit and not be so big and bulky that you have to turn and face the person you are talking too? I have a trench coat with a liner that I will keep on hand but that feels like a little to Sam Spade to me and wouldn't see much use.

The new job is in Colorado so it can get pretty warm in the summer and dang cold in the winter.

All feedback and suggestions accepted.

Gracias

·
Registered
19,642 Posts
Congrats on the job. I enjoyed my time with the DA well until the new one came in from the opposing party and I with 4 out of my 5 prosecutors were let go.

I found a regular thick belt worked for me. I like Clark shoes myself. I went to a discount suit place and bought 4 suits right off the bat. I ended up wearing Dockers and a sport coat unless in trial.

Don't know how they do it in CO but here in the Dallas DA Ofc. My job was mostly behind a desk going over the cases Detectives had already prepared for trial. I ran jury lists, created subpoenas, and located and re interviewed witnesses. Never got in a scrap in 10 years and definitely didn't chase anyone.

It got squirrelly working a raid or round up with the Feds but I was in cargo pants and an external vest during those times. Be careful on the range. We hired some folks that couldn't shoot worth chit.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

• Haha
Reactions: mj9mm

·
Super Moderator
19,030 Posts
Beltman has the belts you seek. If not mandated, dump one of the two spare magazines and replace it with a good hand held light around the size of a 6P. Shoes need insoles, and don't skimp on those.

But first, scope out the current occupants. No point in going all Brooks Brothers if western wear is the office standard. Or, more likely, polos and khakis.

·
Premium Member
6,315 Posts
+1 to the Beltman belts. That’s about the only belt I wear since I switched to CID. Carries the weight really well, they look good, and they’re durable.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I did almost 12 years as the investigator for a MO prosecuting attorney in a county with a military base, state college and four strip joints, drugs-hookers-etc. Standard attire was a decent button up and dockers (pleated version hide pocket guns better) so I could throw a tie and jacket on if needed in court. Until they added a manned post at the entrance, I also got called to deal with walk-in threats/whack jobs all over the 3-story annex.

Mostly I ran all over the state finding witnesses nobody else could or would find, interviewing and often serving them and dragging their uncooperative and sometimes belligerent asses back to court. But 10 of those years was spent working for a good conservative prosecutor who took care of her people and made sure politics never got in the way of doing the job.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Just keep in mind that you don't necessarily need to find attire and equipment that can do all of the above at the same time. With a few noteworthy exceptions, I typically wouldn't execute a warrant wearing a suit that I would testify in court with. Similarly, I wouldn't testify in court wearing the same sneakers, boots or casual shoes that I would do a warrant in. You'll have the opportunity to dress for the occasion.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Hi, Hudson
I‘ve never been a DA investigator, but here’s my input from a plainclothes LE perspective:

Belts: Hanks, Beltman, A&G, Galco. My newest is a Galco SB7. It’s the one I wish they’d made decades ago. A 1 1/2 fancy stitch. Great belt so far. All of the above brands have carried full size 1911s and Glock 20 size guns for years with no hint of problems. Resist the urge to purchase kydex or steel “stiffners”. They’re not needed. Galco SB7:
Brown Rectangle Material property Electric blue Pattern

Brown Natural material Rectangle Material property Peach

Shoes are very individual things. When was plainclothes I wore Lucchesse or Tony Llama cowboy boots with a lower heel. When I was UC it was mostly beat up work boots. You’ll just have to figure out what works for you.

Don‘t wast money on a tactical pen.

OC is a good thing to have.

Coats: Depends on how dressy you want to get. I tended to wear my Filson the most. If I was in a suit it was a wool car coat. It all depends on how you dress. Alaska gets pretty cold so I needed something warm in the winter.

Ties: Either don’t wear them, which is completely acceptable, or buy a few clip ons if you’re at all worried about wrestling with bad guys, which it sounds like you might be.

Shirts/pants are purely personal.

A warning, it can be a bit spendy, so keep track of your receipts if you’re buying for work.

Remember this: Render unto Caesar the things that a Caesar’s, and unto God the things that are God’s. But as for those things which are neither Caesar’s nor God’s, feel free to writeth them off, for yea, they are deductible.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Yeah I did keep a suit hanging in the office closet, worn when I had to sit in for jury selection or be in court for testimony and especially change of venue cases. Regular men's dress suits, not some $500-$600 lawyer costume. I look like I should be handling mules or throwing feed sacks and you can only polish that so much. Oddly, juries seemed to like that. So I dressed to look good (as possible LOL) w/o inhibiting access to weapons and free movement.

I didn't need or want 4-5 suits but presentable & comfortable business attire was used continuously. YMMV according to what your officeholder wants.

·
Registered
5,985 Posts
Belt: Beltman or Tucker

Shoes: In all my years as a Federal Agent I pretty much always wore Lucchase cowboy boots. They break in fast and wear like slippers

Coat: Always western style.

Reactions: walkin' trails

·
Registered
27,855 Posts
The most important? A good belt, and, something hardly mentioned on here, anti slip shoes. The anti slip shoes recommendation comes from my 1 year expetience as a C.O. in a max security state prison.

·
Registered
10,956 Posts
Sorry for the late post.
I had a aker leather belt for many years when in plain clothes and off duty.
As far as coat, just get a three quarter length coat . A trench coat really isn’t necessary. Save that stuff for court days. Buy it a size larger than you would normally wear to make room for a vest and/or for you to grow into it. You will as you get older.
Have some business attire but don’t go crazy until you get there. See what the dress code and culture is before buying a whole new wardrobe. You might be assigned to some type of courtroom/DAvsecurity like witness security or you might be used on a stakeout of rackets investigation or stuck in a room listening to a wiretap or pushing paper. All have different conformity of dress.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was able to speak to an active DA Investigator. He says it is about 60/40 - 70/30 5.11 type pants and a polo vs. suits. It will depend on assignment. So I have the suits, I just a better belt in brown

·
NRA4EVR
12,004 Posts
Bullhidebelts.com. Big selection of dress and casual belts. Don’t bother with stiffened belts - good quality leather that is thick enough will be fine on its own.

+1 on wait and see what the bureau is like when it comes to dress code. You should be able to get an idea how to dress for your first couple days. Could be anything from tailored suit to nice-enough dress shirtnd tie, to polo and Dockers or 5.11s, or t-shirt and jeans.

A friend retired out of homicide on San Jose PD. They still have the tradition that when a homicide detective solves his first one, he has the privelege of wearing a fedora.

·
Registered
15,768 Posts
Beltman is the only belt as far as I’m concerned. I have two and they are still going strong after 15+years.

I personally would have something small on me when wearing a coat in court. A snubbie and a speed loader with a couple of speed strips in my pocket. Maybe a baby Glock and a spare mag.

I would have an agency Polo, some 5.11 pants, boots, body armor, duty belt with less lethals, handgun etc....hanging up in the office. I would simply change if it was time to go round someone up.

The DA’s office in my area hasn’t always kept a sworn DA investigator. There have been a couple over the years but it hasn’t been a permanent spot as the DA has changed over the years.

At this point in my career I would take that gig, but I would have little expectation of being involved much with the local police. Even less expectation of being involved in kicking doors and handcuffing suspects........

Our court has gotten quite informal over the years. For a trial you still see the judge in robes and the court employees and attorneys in coats and ties, but more and more I’m seeing bailiffs in class B’s and parole officers in agency polos and khakis.

You may only be wearing a suit on days when you’ll be before the judge.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts