close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Sony Alpha

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by KG4IDA, May 11, 2007.

1. KG4IDA

KG4IDA

Anyone have one of these? I have several nice Minolta lenses and was about to buy a 5D when Minolta pulled the plug on their camera line. I am going to Glacier National Park in September and at this point it is either the Canon A620 or the Minolta XTsi. I think I really want a good wide angle lens for the trip and I have a good 19-35mm for the Minolta as well as a good 300mm. That's why my interest in the Sony Alpha. Thanks.

2. Fred

Fred Lifetime Member Millennium Member

3. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Annoying Member

I bought an Alpha body back in early March, mainly because I already owned quite a few Maxxum AF lenses and accessories. Over all it’s a very nice camera and it sits well in your hand. The controls are easy to learn and the layout of the buttons and dials allow you to quickly change a vast majority of the functions … eliminating the need to scroll through the menus. Unfortunately the menus don’t have custom functions, however several external buttons can be customized.

The only complaint I have so far is that it’s rather noisy at 800 ISO and above and I did find the eye start sensor on the viewfinder annoying, so I disabled it. The eye start is designed to activate the autofocus system when you put your eye against it; however the camera would often try to focus when anything came close to the sensor … like when you are holding the camera against your body. I would definitely recommend this camera, especially if you already have some Maxxum equipment as it accepts all of my Minolta AF lens, 5200i flash, off camera cable, remote cords etc …

BTW: Crutchfield had the best price for the Alpha body and it include fast (3 days) free shipping.

4. KG4IDA

KG4IDA

Yes, the eye start feature is a pain. I have an XTsi that does that and I turned it off for the same reason. I did find it useful for some quick wildlife photography (birds) though. I think I may get the Alpha.

5. tim43

tim43

The wife got me an A100 for Christmas as I already had five Minolta AF lenses. I love it! Considering getting a Sigma 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 lens for it for catch all use.

6. KG4IDA

KG4IDA

I have a Tamron 28-200mm and it is a great travel lens. I find I only need it and a 19-35mm for most shots although I have a 50mm 1.7 that I love for natural light shots.