close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Son's Martial Arts Graduation

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by PlayboyPenguin, Jun 17, 2012.

1. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin

My son had his qualifier for his martial arts class this weekend. It is a pretty intense four hour workout or them. They demonstrate forms, perform drills, and then spar. I was nervous when the instructor said many did not advance but he managed to make it. If anyone wants to see him get beat up by a girl you can watch the video below. :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjXhTmXCOgs]Martial Arts Graduation (Not a gun video) - YouTube[/ame]

2. E-2-E

E-2-E Long Trail

Thanks for sharing, and Happy Fathers Day.

3. TactiCool

TactiCool

Thanks for that, it really brought back sparkling memories of when I was a young orange belt in sparring class and getting beaten up by girls. Except I was 8 years old and I was facing a 16 year-old 6'2 black belt who had me by mount and proceeded to pulverize my face into the mat.

And after the instructor called stop, I felt a warm liquid running down my face and onto my gi. At that point, the girl that I was sparring against said to me, "You know you're bleeding, right?"

Ah, memories.

4. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

Good for him. :thumbsup: I remember back in 69 I had to spar the first time with a girl.:shocked: Heck we are brought up not to hit girls. All I did was block and could not hit her even if there was a chance to. :embarassed:

5. Adjuster

Adjuster

That girl was trying to kick his butt. She deserved a little butt kicking back.

/

6. FL Airedale

FL Airedale Dog Breath

Girls that don't have martial arts training can kick my butt. That's why I carry a pistol!

7. Gallium

Gallium CLM

AWESOME. :)

How long has he been in that school/dojo/program?
    Is he still growing?
    How old is he? I think 4hrs is a bit on the high end for anyone under 16 for

a) intense workouts
    b) testing

90-120min is the norm on this side of the river for adults. For kids (under 12) it is 60-75min, but the testing is never for more than a group of 8-12. I have seen 1/2 day and full day workshops where a participant rotates thru stations (grappling, sparring, form, self-defense) where they may be doing 2min rounds x 5 rounds to determine a match winner, with two matches running simultaneously...generally those folks are on the mat for 45-50min of every hour for 4 hrs with 5-15 min breaks.

8. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin

He is 14 and hopefully still growing. They work these kids like dogs at this level to get their next belt. It is more about seeing who just hangs with it and doesn't quit. They do not even care that much about form at the end. they know the kids are exhausted. My son has been doing it for about 20 months.

9. Gallium

Gallium CLM

PP.

It looks like a really nice space for the school.

I wish him the best of luck.

'Drew

10. matt_lowry123

matt_lowry123

I'm not trying to bash by anymeans, but he really needs to keep his hands up. Always think "touch your face." I really don't know much about krav, but he could use better foot work and some head movement. I don't know how long it takes from belt to belt, but it's best to learn the fundamentals at the start rather than try and change it later in the future.

Eitherway, your kid did a really good job and I love when young people get involved in martial arts. It's a great workout and in the right situation, it could save their life. I hope he keeps up with it!!!

If they have a family plan, you might want to join? That's how some of the gyms are around here. Good exercise and it would give you all time together.

11. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

Wait.

He knows karate.

A GIRL kicks his butt.

He ADVANCES?!?!?

Just kidding. Congrats.

12. Gallium

Gallium CLM

• What you saw was video after 3hrs of workouts. I know after 90min on the mat I struggle to maintain focus on the same things you mention.
    • He did say his son was in it for about 20 months. I don't know how frequently he is going, but it does take a lot of you getting hit in the face/neck area:supergrin: to subconsciously keep your hands up.

13. nam02G

nam02G First throwing ax bullseye.

I think my brother was at that event this past weekend. I didn't see him in the video but he was going for his yellow belt, and made it.

14. matt_lowry123

matt_lowry123

I understand that they were goin at it for 3+ hours. I just wanted to point out little things that I saw. It wasn't meant to bash, but to focus on those things. I used to try and help out pro mma guys with standup with mistakes they made, but wouldn't want to learn my way. The thought they were too good to learn.

I also don't know much about krav, so I can't comment on what the final out come is. What I mean by this is, maybe they focus more to get in quick and go for a take down or whatever they might go for?

I know how it feels to be tired and having to fight. I just had a muay thai match with some guy that was 9-1. If I kept my hands low, he would have knocked me out. I lost the fight on points, it was close, but still lost. It's like I said, I don't know much about krav. Just wanted to point out little things.

Taping yourself is a very good thing!!! You can see what you need to improve on and it helps with timing. I'm glad that he's doing a martial art and I hope that he continues it!!! I think it's great exercise and it gives you a skill set few have. I wish they had stuff like this when I was a kid, but they didn't. I'm proud that he got to advance to the next belt and it looks like a good controlled gym.

I wish him the best in martial arts!!!

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  15. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin

What is his name? There were only a few white belts there. They are the lucky ones. They are only there like 1.5 hours. It gets longer with each belt.

16. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Hey Matt,

I don't disagree with anything you've said. :)

17. matt_lowry123

matt_lowry123

:cheers:

No doubt, I just didn't want anybody to think I was trying to bash a kid. On a side note 3-4 hours is a really LONG time to test!!! I'm ignorant when it comes to krav, but if that's how it's done, I guess you better be in shape!!

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012