GlockTalk Forum banner

81 - 100 of 104 Posts

·
Semper Paratus
27,976 Posts
Out of curiosity (and not an argument starter), why are most posters advising the USMS?
History of working with them for an 1811 they are top notch. Leadership in the other 1811 areas is lacking .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Newcop761

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
One thing I messed up on when I was looking at 1811 jobs is that I only looked at the big agencies: FBI, USMS, USSS, HSI (FBI and HSI are night to and day in the hiring process).

Then the big freeze went into affect and I stayed local. Stayed there until a much better civilian investigative job came up and it was the best decision ever. So much so that when the freeze was lifted and HSI came back and said I’d have to repeat the process I said no. Now I’m too old and love my current job.

I do wish when I was looking I had looked at some of the Smaller fed LE agencies like USFS, OIG, HHS, etc.

If he really wants to do it, have him follow his interests. If he likes the environmental stuff look at the EPA 1811 jobs and so on.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Ask him what he really wants to do. If it's to be an actual cop and do actual police work, the feds ain't it, even in their uniformed services. 99% of the time they just stand a post or are in an investigative role. If he wants to ride a desk, do investigative work, and carry a caseload then there's no doubt he should go federal. If he wants to do real police work like most people think about when they want to get into law enforcement, then he needs to go state/local.

Feds are the safer bet to make more money and stay out of crap, but they won't have the adrenaline dumps, which admittedly can get old after a few years and you're ready to move onto something else.

The exception to all of this is the US Marshals. They pretty much get to do all the cool sh*t with none of the caseload stuff. However, they are extremely difficult to get into and I've never known anyone without a military background to get selected.

·
NRA Life Member
64,189 Posts
I have a friend who is a senior agent with U.S. Fish & Wildlife, which would be pretty cool and nobody ever thinks about them as an LE agency. He has even done undercover work for them (exotic animal trafficking or something). But it's so small your odds of getting in probably aren't great. Also, he recently had to move to New Jersey.

I imagine one of the easiest fed jobs to get is BOP, but I wouldn't do it.

·
Registered
12,816 Posts
Anyone ever worked as a United States Postal Service Inspector, or considered it?
I had two recent college grads go through FTO back in the day at my city PD. They both interned at the US PIS. When I asked why they didn't stay with them, they said that as screwed up as USPS was, the PIS was in similar condition.

That was a long time ago, but I doubt much has changed.

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
Ask him what he really wants to do. If it's to be an actual cop and do actual police work, the feds ain't it, even in their uniformed services. 99% of the time they just stand a post or are in an investigative role. If he wants to ride a desk, do investigative work, and carry a caseload then there's no doubt he should go federal. If he wants to do real police work like most people think about when they want to get into law enforcement, then he needs to go state/local.

Feds are the safer bet to make more money and stay out of crap, but they won't have the adrenaline dumps, which admittedly can get old after a few years and you're ready to move onto something else.

The exception to all of this is the US Marshals. They pretty much get to do all the cool sh*t with none of the caseload stuff. However, they are extremely difficult to get into and I've never known anyone without a military background to get selected.
That is not true. A large number of the US Marshalls do prisoner transport.
Many get in without a military background. Military get preference in all federal hiring unless one is already in the federal employment system. Again, I have known former NYPD Captains and Lt’s to be TSA agents to circumvent the military preference for a few months and “poof” a few weeks/months later they are heads of federal departments etc.
It’s the same with the feds. Most of the feds I dealt with did not have prior service in the military. This might have changed.

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
Anyone ever worked as a United States Postal Service Inspector, or considered it?
I considered it, even started the process.
I got promoted in the NYPD and just didn’t want to add time to when I could retire.

It looked and looks like a great job. I had a few cases with the postal inspectors and it seemed like they had a great job.
One of my Fed friends works in a task force with them. He says they have it great.

·
Previously nutsnax
695 Posts
And I’m not real sure how to advise him. He’s 25 with a college degree, and is the GM of an indoor baseball facility(he played college ball).
My dad was a county sheriff for years, and I condsidered LE, but I wanted to coach, and part of me is proud of him for wanting to serve. The other part of me sees how you guys are under attack socially and politically and wants to warn him against it. What do you guys who are in the field now think?
Tell him to join the local militia instead.

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
I have a friend who is a senior agent with U.S. Fish & Wildlife, which would be pretty cool and nobody ever thinks about them as an LE agency. He has even done undercover work for them (exotic animal trafficking or something). But it's so small your odds of getting in probably aren't great. Also, he recently had to move to New Jersey.

I imagine one of the easiest fed jobs to get is BOP, but I wouldn't do it.
Yes, as far as federal LE jobs, Border patrol is one of the easier ones to get and has a very high turnover.
My understanding with jobs like Fish and Wildlife or LE with the forest service, you need to have a college degree in one of environmental disciplines that are offered at only very few colleges. It’s a career path kind of thing.

·
NRA Life Member
64,189 Posts
Yes, as far as federal LE jobs, Border patrol is one of the easier ones to get and has a very high turnover.
My understanding with jobs like Fish and Wildlife or LE with the forest service, you need to have a college degree in one of environmental disciplines that are offered at only very few colleges. It’s a career path kind of thing.
BOP is Bureau of Prisons. I know several guys who work there.

I also know a few guys in the Border Patrol. I would do that job, but every Border Patrol officer I know is Mexican - you need to speak good Spanish.

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
BOP is Bureau of Prisons. I know several guys who work there.

I also know a few guys in the Border Patrol. I would do that job, but every Border Patrol officer I know is Mexican - you need to speak good Spanish.
Not to put down a very hard job but most correction positions aren’t the same as most LE jobs. Different skill set. And yes, I have worked with corrections in joint operations and many NYPD officers are former corrections officers( local, state, and federal). I won’t recommend that job to anyone. Very tough with little reward other than a paycheck. Having said that, their intel people are top notch and their CERT teams are fantastic.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
That is not true. A large number of the US Marshalls do prisoner transport.
Many get in without a military background. Military get preference in all federal hiring unless one is already in the federal employment system. Again, I have known former NYPD Captains and Lt’s to be TSA agents to circumvent the military preference for a few months and “poof” a few weeks/months later they are heads of federal departments etc.
It’s the same with the feds. Most of the feds I dealt with did not have prior service in the military. This might have changed.
A difference of experience then. All the Marshals I've met either had previous military or lateraled from another 1811 position. None were hired straight in and the several LEO specific forums/communities I frequent verify this.

Additionally, the turnover is super low for them. Their hiring windows are like 4-5 years in between I believe, last I looked.

A good way to get in with them is military and BOP, lateral over to them and do their prisoner transports/courts for a few years and then maybe get on their fugitive unit.

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
A difference of experience then. All the Marshals I've met either had previous military or lateraled from another 1811 position. None were hired straight in and the several LEO specific forums/communities I frequent verify this.

Additionally, the turnover is super low for them. Their hiring windows are like 4-5 years in between I believe, last I looked.

A good way to get in with them is military and BOP, lateral over to them and do their prisoner transports/courts for a few years and then maybe get on their fugitive unit.
I agree that direct hire is almost impossible since the military preference rule that applies to almost all federal jobs unless one is already in the federal system. USMS service is one where a lot of 1811 are trying to get to. BOP is one way in , so is BP, so is any federal job. But it is highly competitive.
I would say, go look at the turnover at the 1811 positions. Some are greater than others. Some jump into the fun stuff immediately and others don’t.

·
Registered
14,475 Posts
I sure the hell wouldn’t do it in a big city nowadays.
I work in a smaller town that is pretty supportive of LE, that is in a fairly conservative county.
Money is less than I could make in a bigger place, but pretty much every other aspect is better, for me at least. I still have about 10 years left to go before retirement.
I am lucky in that regard also. We have some vocal liberals at the local university, but local government is conservative. And in general the local population is supportive of LE regardless of their political views. A very family oriented community.

I couldn’t imagine being in a large city right now. We have been back to business as usual for a long time.

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
I just talked with one of my Fed friends the other day. He said it easy to tell which federal agencies to go to. Go look at the turn over. He says you will be amazed how many secret service agents leave for other agencies.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Their turnover rates make them the biggest 1811 hiring authority i have come across with them nearly always having vacancy announcements posted. A great place to get the 1811 designation, some experience, and a foot in the fed works.

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
And I’m not real sure how to advise him. He’s 25 with a college degree, and is the GM of an indoor baseball facility(he played college ball) ...
College Degree? Doctor, lawyer, banker, CPA, etc and etc. He should do that type of job.

I did a career in law enforcement and it is not for everybody especially in big cities. I am sure Mayberry or Petticoat Junction would be a nice job. The first three to seven years is the honeymoon phase and after that it is just a job. Politics comes into play too. :cop:

81 - 100 of 104 Posts