GlockTalk Forum banner

41 - 60 of 104 Posts

·
NRA Life Member
63,408 Posts
My son is in AIT for 31B in the Army. Among other interests, he's still considering a career in LE. He's under no delusions about the current attitude toward police in this country. He's active military for 5 years, who knows what can happen in 5 years. My advice to him was to work toward a degree while he's in and choose his backup plan.
If he uses his military time to pay for a college degree, he can get one of those federal jobs. Also, the Border Patrol and U.S. Secret Service uniformed branch don't require a degree, but I have gone to training with a couple of guys who were in the Secret Service uniformed branch and they hated it - both quit to join an airport police department.

I deployed to Afghanistan with several Border Patrol and ICE agents a few years ago and they seem to like their jobs, but he needs to learn Spanish (that's a plus for all law enforcement). One Border Patrol officer's wife didn't even speak English...I was a little suspicious.

If I was a 31B just starting an enlistment in the Army and wanted a civilian law enforcement career, I'd be focused on college and learning Spanish throughout the enlistment. The Army is always a good place to learn and practice your Spanish - he can probably even get free classes on post.

Reactions: pgg00 and UncleDave

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
I'm amazed. We really should start calling this forum Former Cop Talk. Many are retired, close to retirement, or just got burnt out like me. Maybe that also says something about the audience using forums like this instead of Twitter, but that's another topic.

Many of the guys here have waived you off from being a Leo. I would like to think that more suburban/rural areas would still be good places to work for.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
No Cops - No USA
No USA - No Cops

More and more segments of this nation are turning their backs on law enforcement, as more and more government officials attempt to criminalize the police for properly doing their jobs. Law enforcement cannot exist in the New America many desire.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
No USA - No Cops

More and more segments of this nation are turning their backs on law enforcement, as more and more government officials attempt to criminalize the police for properly doing their jobs. Law enforcement cannot exist in the New America many desire.

Well many years ago we had this Formor Green Beret - Double Amputee from Viet NamWar in CA Politics. He was Conservative, was Moonbeams first Chief of Staff (first time as Gov.), became famous showing malathion the fruit fly juice was safe, but drinking bottle. B.T. Collins - Anyone ever met the guy?

He alway preached if you see a Cop, or Military say "Thasnk you for what you do", people still do that, just less, and there are few B.T.'s.

My buddy Matt is reising son right, kid is only 5, he terrace him to respect teachers, cops, Firefighter, and everyone. Do not disrespect anyone. IMHO few parents are like Matt.

·
Premium Member
4,518 Posts
LE chews you up, and spits you out. Expect to sacrifice time off constantly for training, or court. You are an expendable resource, a means to an end. As long as there is someone there to take the calls, that’s all most admins care about. I’ve seen far too many LEOs get injured, only to be forgotten about or treated poorly by their agencies.

Expect to be policing the turd culture of society, where unlike TV there are few real innocent victims.

If his idea of a good time is fighting an IV drug user who likely has some kind of blood borne pathogen then he may be interested.

That’s without going into the very real threat of being imprisoned for just doing your job, because you happened to draw the short straw that night and got a bad call.

If he is determined to go into LE, I’d find something that is more force protection oriented with the feds. Smaller chance of something bad happening, good pay, and way less court time.

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
With today's political climate (even before Covid) no way would I recommend it.

·
Registered
7,188 Posts
What is his degree? He might like the Military law enforcement. Serve 6 and get out to a federal agency. He can specialize while in the military, and he would be an officer.
Other wise I'd say US Marshall, SS, or diplomatic service. No I'm not a LEO but I have a few friends that are.

·
Unfair Facist
23,422 Posts
Many here either retired or with decades on the job loved the job. But they found out that as much as they loved the job, the job didn’t love them back.

Some of us were unfortunate to find that out first hand. others learned from what they saw happen to others.

You eventually learn that the bad guys are not your only adversaries. The people you work for are as well. And they are often aided by the press and and the general public that have no idea whatsoever what it takes to do the job, what you face on the job, and just how quickly things can turn deadly on a “routine” call.

The old timers here were around for the “war on crime” and the “war on drugs” and now see the “war on cops”.

I loved the job, and even had I known how my career would eventually end and the life altering injuries I would sustain as a result. I would do it all over again.

That said, I am happy my sons decided not to pursue a career in L.E.

·
Heavy Mettle
3,776 Posts
Many here either retired or with decades on the job loved the job. But they found out that as much as they loved the job, the job didn’t love them back.

Some of us were unfortunate to find that out first hand. others learned from what they saw happen to others.

You eventually learn that the bad guys are not your only adversaries. The people you work for are as well. And they are often aided by the press and and the general public that have no idea whatsoever what it takes to do the job, what you face on the job, and just how quickly things can turn deadly on a “routine” call.

The old timers here were around for the “war on crime” and the “war on drugs” and now see the “war on cops”.

I loved the job, and even had I known how my career would eventually end and the life altering injuries I would sustain as a result. I would do it all over again.

That said, I am happy my sons decided not to pursue a career in L.E.
Didn't you say, "The job is a whore, no matter how much you love it, it will never love you back?"

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
I have a Son with similar interests. He’s still has a few years to go, I won’t dissuade him. I think it depends on where & with who.

Another idea, I see openings in Military Police Guard units around here. That could keep him busy for a year or two, get some service cred & experience.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
There are a lot of admin desk jobs in this city, especially for a college grad. I know a cop in the DAs office and his job is sweet. He wears a suit with a little gold badge on his belt to only be displayed in certain situations.

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
Military Police are not what you'd think. The vast majority are gate guards. My friend many years ago wanted to be in law enforcement and thought it would give him experience. He ended up guarding a missile silo in South Dakota with the nearest anything an hour away.

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
“If not your son, then who?” This saying and forms of it will never be worn out because of its truth. There has to be those who will answer the call to service.

The field of LE covers a lot, but in most cases, an officer starts out in patrol. In county positions, some start out working in the jails. Movement from there is only sideways or up. The larger the agency, the more possibilities available.

LE, to me and to the majority of citizens, is still a noble profession. Don’t let the media sway you otherwise. Society will always need people to deal with the worst of society and to respond when called upon in times of need.

Also, the call would have to be strong in this day and age for me to choose LE. A lot of the time, LE was a hammer or a monkey wrench used to ‘fix’ societal problems, but now jewelers tools or surgical instruments are more appropriate. This requires a better quality officer and not one, who like me, only wanted to wear a cool uniform, drive a cool police car...FAST, get in shootouts and chase the bad guys.

Good luck to your son in his career path. We have only one life to live here on earth, and my advice is service to others is a great way to spend that life.

·
Registered
6,286 Posts
June of 1984 I started. August of 2020 I left.

32 years in a good sized metro Dept. 4 years at a private University.

Enjoyed every minute of it. If I could reset the clock, I’d do it all over again.

But, not under today’s rules.

What I see is barely qualified people will take the job for 3-4 years and walk off.

Good qualified kids with real desire to be cops will take the job and, after 3-4 years, walk off.

Guys just getting out of the military will do it for a few years and then find something else.

I think 25 and up career cops will be a rarity.

The only LE job I would consider right now is US Marshals or, some obscure Fed Agency. You are just basically a security guard and Bodyguard.
Diplomatic Security. NASA.

No real contact with the public. Invisible unless you need to do something.

It Sucks. It was the greatest job in the world.

·
Registered
14,147 Posts
If he is called to it there is nothing that’s going to stop it.

Just they way this job is.

Politically my area is back to business as usual. We just aren’t dealing with the anti LE rhetoric that a lot of places are.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
I would say go fed if he doesn't mind pinging around the country for a few decades.

Local agencies might be okay if it a small town or county where he has lived most of his life and gets along with everyone there.

I would avoid in no particular order:

Large, major cities
Large, regional cities
County seats
College police
Sheriff's departments with a history of retaliatory firings.
Small towns and counties where you "stand out" and not in a good way.

Good places are near those places but not too close.

In California I would never work for LAPD, LASO, SFPD, SJPD, Sac PD, any of the UC and CSU departments, no county seats, and few more political sheriffs.

US Marshals would be a good gig because it is going after wanted subjects. Cops and robbers stuff. Plus you get to pick and choose your battles unlike patrol you are at the mercy of fate. All it takes is being on scene of an unpopular use of force.
The new US Marshall’s are often assigned to prisoner transport for many years before any investigative work.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Worrying about physical harm was never my concern, at least not after a few months in.

The last third of my career or so was spent stressing about going to prison, even though I did everything right and followed my training and policy. The guy in Atlanta (Taser incident) and the other officer in CA (shooting a guy who came at him with a baseball bat) are two prime examples. Neither of them did ANYTHING outside of policy or law that would account for their arrests...yet, they were and now have to deal with that stress. Plus, there will always be the specter of federal charges hanging over them.

If that's not enough, activist prosecutors are now digging up cases that were once cleared and indicting officers for stuff that happened years ago. The story posted here in Coptalk a few weeks ago about the FBI agent, for instance. He was a local in Texas, killed a guy in the line of duty. The Rangers cleared him and the Bureau didn't have any issues, as they hired him as an agent after the investigation. Yet, a ***** of a prosecutor indicted the guy.

**** that. **** it hard, long, and with a cactus.

I'm just glad I made it out without any serious uses of force that could go that road, especially since politicians in Louisville are losing their minds. I can't fathom being retired and out of this BS, then getting prosecuted for something that was cleared years ago.

So yeah...we talked our kid outta following in our footsteps.
You are pointing out exactly why I don’t recommend it anymore. And you just pointed out the big cases. The smaller internal ones are the one’s to be expected. I know of cases where the cop who was involved in a shooting, who did nothing wrong, but because someone claimed they heard the cop say a curse word— yep, they gave him one, Same with a cop who was stabbed. He said a curse word as he was stabbed- he got one. Extreme examples but gives you a clue as to the current environment.

·
Registered
74,479 Posts
And I’m not real sure how to advise him. He’s 25 with a college degree, and is the GM of an indoor baseball facility(he played college ball).
My dad was a county sheriff for years, and I condsidered LE, but I wanted to coach, and part of me is proud of him for wanting to serve. The other part of me sees how you guys are under attack socially and politically and wants to warn him against it. What do you guys who are in the field now think?
Negative, if there are any Democrats in office locally. In fact, any CPL holder should consider that, if they lawfully use their firearm in SD, will they be facing the politically motivated judgement of a Democrat prosecutor possibly funded by George Soros?

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
The position your son should go for in the feds is an 1811 position. It’s federal law enforcement like HSI ( formerly customs, ICE, and other agencies) They do just as many investigations as the FBI but don’t have a stick up their—.
Much better work environment than the FBI from what my Fed friends tell me.

41 - 60 of 104 Posts