GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And I’m not real sure how to advise him. He’s 25 with a college degree, and is the GM of an indoor baseball facility(he played college ball).
My dad was a county sheriff for years, and I condsidered LE, but I wanted to coach, and part of me is proud of him for wanting to serve. The other part of me sees how you guys are under attack socially and politically and wants to warn him against it. What do you guys who are in the field now think?

·
Federal Member
29,302 Posts
In todays political climate, No.

I have a 20 year old son. I have him working on becoming a Veterinarian.

I have been in L/E for 25 years now. I am close to retiring!!

:cool:

·
PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia
9,963 Posts
There are still some agencies worth it in my opinion...Polk Co Fla comes to mind...I also think a Federal position might still be good...maybe with USSS or US Marshalls...I'm thinkin with his degree, he could probably go fed w/o too much problem...but it is a very short list indeed

·
Mr. Awesome
10,415 Posts
Very much depends on where and what’s going on with that particular agency. The good places to work are getting fewer and further in between.

As an aside, when I got ride-a-longs who wanted to be in LE, I generally talked them out of it. I don’t want to work with someone who can’t embrace the suck.

·
Unfair Facist
24,250 Posts
I agree that these days, with a degree, go for a fed position.

Dear Lord, never thought I would see the day I would ever recommend that!!!!

The end is near!!!!!

·
Premium Member
5,419 Posts
I have to agree with going for Federal LEO. The pay isn't great to start with, but you will be making a pretty fair salary before you know it and OT is almost always there along with travel pay and per diem. A very good retirement system also.

·
Registered
7,103 Posts
I don't see the micro-managing or public condemnation over criminal's deaths changing anytime soon. I'm glad I retired 10 months ago and while it is an honorable profession that can be rewarding, I wouldn't recommend anyone I love going into it now.
It saddens my heart to say it, but when every change of prosecutors results in politically charged grand juries to look over cases that have already been to GJ's, it's gone too far. Cops can't do their job for fear of every action being harshly judged and even tried for defending their own lives.

·
NRA Life Member
64,116 Posts
And I’m not real sure how to advise him. He’s 25 with a college degree, and is the GM of an indoor baseball facility(he played college ball).
My dad was a county sheriff for years, and I condsidered LE, but I wanted to coach, and part of me is proud of him for wanting to serve. The other part of me sees how you guys are under attack socially and politically and wants to warn him against it. What do you guys who are in the field now think?
Can he get a job in federal law enforcement? That's the only thing I would advise anybody to go into these days. Usually better pay, retirement and benefits than local LE and you don't have to arrest drunks and write traffic tickets and go to domestics and break up bar fights.

·
Registered
31,022 Posts
I would say go fed if he doesn't mind pinging around the country for a few decades.

Local agencies might be okay if it a small town or county where he has lived most of his life and gets along with everyone there.

I would avoid in no particular order:

Large, major cities
Large, regional cities
County seats
College police
Sheriff's departments with a history of retaliatory firings.
Small towns and counties where you "stand out" and not in a good way.

Good places are near those places but not too close.

In California I would never work for LAPD, LASO, SFPD, SJPD, Sac PD, any of the UC and CSU departments, no county seats, and few more political sheriffs.

US Marshals would be a good gig because it is going after wanted subjects. Cops and robbers stuff. Plus you get to pick and choose your battles unlike patrol you are at the mercy of fate. All it takes is being on scene of an unpopular use of force.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I agree that these days, with a degree, go for a fed position.

Dear Lord, never thought I would see the day I would ever recommend that!!!!

The end is near!!!!!

A nice thing with the feds also is that your son could continue his education and get advanced degrees, say accounting or law, to rise within the agency.

That’s my understanding at least.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
There are sooo many better choices in this current climate. In LE when you do your job, you may not be backed and you may be arrested and face serious charges.

Education first, as with education comes more money and more opportunities.

So, NO! NO! NO! Don't even think about LE.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
I would advise him not to make a decision until after the election. The next POTUS is going to be the determining factor.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts