Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Native Mainiac
23,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everybody loves to complain sometimes, but think I gotta go the other way this time and be happy.

Last fall I backed my boat trailer into the support auger for the new power pole in my yard. "One in a million" shot deal. Broke the starboard side tail light. This spring, I try to replace that light with one from my two other trailers....no joy...one is rusted and one is a POS thing with the "stick the wire in here" deal.
Anyway, decided to replace all the lights with LEDs. 2011 Shorelander trailer that I had never touched other that wheel bearing stuff. One of the 4 running lights was out too.
Got my package from eTrailer.com yesterday after ordering Monday. And here we go. Anybody who hs done it knows...

But Shorelander must have an extra mile of wire in the trailer tubes....the lights from eTrailer have long pigtails....I even remembered to slip on the shrink tubing BEFORE making the splice in the wire.

Only thing that could make it better is if the folks from eTrailer came here did it themselves and brought beer.

Had some other stuff to do today....but after this, i quit....no place to go but down from this.

Anybody got a good story about what is usually a real PITA job going better than expected??

·
Mentally Frozen
28,470 Posts
I had the weed-eater out early with no trauma, but it was a close call a time or two.

·
Just lack finishing up
4,199 Posts
Good work and good on you. For me to tackle any kind of wiring it has to be straight up, color to color. Black to black, white to white.... Otherwise I'm a goner.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I have a loaner truck that we put customers in while we work on their cars. My guys also use it to chase parts, and make deliveries and such. It's an older Chebby pick up.. Steering column was developing this weird sloppy feeling like you could lift the wheel up and down.. Customers began to complain about it.. FREE RIDE, and yet they complain... "The steering wheel feels like it's going to fall off and I could die, and then the ambulance would come and I would get infected with the 'Rona..." they'd say.. It's a simple fix (4 bolts that come loose in the column head), but getting to the bolts can be perplexing.. Think of taking a clock apart, and getting it back together.. Yes, that kind of fun. So, I went in thinking 4 hours minimum.. To my surprise, I had it back together, and everything working in under an hour. Here's a video that shows what I was working on;
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URjfZGuWz90

The last one of these I did was over 10 years ago and I was dreading doing this one... Some things DO work out.. Positivity! Great post!

·
Native Mainiac
23,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pulled a T shirt out of the drawer and it went on the right way...99 times out of 100 the shirt goes on backwards...(what odds)
So, then I went back to bed...not wanting to screw up a "good" day... :D
Did kind of the same thing yesterday....but it was my jockey shorts. I got lucky and they went on backwards.....I kind of like it unless doing high kicks.

·
Mentally Frozen
28,470 Posts
Well...i will admit that I did this job BEFORE cracking a can of Bud. Wonder if that may have anything to do with my success??
Wife always calls and makes sure the Urgent Care is open before I do any home projects. Don't know what the big deal is...:headscratch:

·
Native Mainiac
23,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good work and good on you. For me to tackle any kind of wiring it has to be straight up, color to color. Black to black, white to white.... Otherwise I'm a goner.
Ha-Ha...you ain't gotta' be a "double e" to change lights on trailer....green to green, yellow to yellow" brown to brown". I does get a little funky if you ground the white wires to frame or back to the hitch connector though. I strongly suggest going all the way back with the ground.

·
Registered
21,739 Posts
I had the implement dealership sent out a tech yesterday to repair a leak coming from inside the rockshaft control on the tractor. He got that repaired and replaced and we went about replacing the fender and center cowling that covers the rockshaft housing. 2 of the bolts did not want to line up with where they belonged. I told him that I would put it back together, tech and truck run over a hundred bucks an hour and I saw no need of paying that to start 2 bolts. I fought the bolts for a bit longer and finally said to heck with it.

I went out this afternoon and started back in on it. Bolts still not lining up. I took the bolts into the shop and ground a short point on them. In less than 10 minutes the bolts were in and the rest of the bolts tightened down.

·
Native Mainiac
23,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had the implement dealership sent out a tech yesterday to repair a leak coming from inside the rockshaft control on the tractor. He got that repaired and replaced and we went about replacing the fender and center cowling that covers the rockshaft housing. 2 of the bolts did not want to line up with where they belonged. I told him that I would put it back together, tech and truck run over a hundred bucks an hour and I saw no need of paying that to start 2 bolts. I fought the bolts for a bit longer and finally said to heck with it.

I went out this afternoon and started back in on it. Bolts still not lining up. I took the bolts into the shop and ground a short point on them. In less than 10 minutes the bolts were in and the rest of the bolts tightened down.
Ha-Ha....One of the first things I learned in Navy Machinist Mate school was that bolts are just nails with ribs on them....for your displeasure.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Good for you @FullClip !!

This isn't quite as good as your story. But I will give the topic a shot.

I have been remodeling my house. As anyone who has ever done a remodeling job can tell you - it is a heck of a lot easier to build something up from scratch - than it is to try take something that someone else built - down - and then rebuild it.

You have to be very particular about disassembling stuff in the proper order so that the entire thing doesn't fall down or apart on top of you. Also - a house is built in layers. To get to the bottom layer can be next to impossible without removing the top layers. But sometimes the issue is that you do not want to have to disassemble everything that is adjacent to the area that you are working on - just to have the room to get to something else.

Enter the oscillating saw! Whoever invented this tool - I could kiss him on the mouth!

For projects in the past I either had to bite the bullet and go ahead and disassemble something that was perfectly good just to make room to get my hands and/or a tool into a tight spot. In the past I have had to use chisels, rasps, pry bars, hack saws, dremel saws, drills, screwdrivers, etc., to stab at, poke at, pry at, whittle away, chip away, file away, slice at pieces of metal, wood, drywall, concrete, etc. And it took hours of my time - one tiny piece at a time!

But never again. With the wide variety of blades that are available for my oscillating saw - my entire life has been changed. Now I can get into places and finish tasks in less time than it takes to walk across the room to flip on the light switch.

So what have I been doing with all of the extra time that I have been saving? Well, now I look around for new projects so that I can have some more fun!

In other words, the thing that I did right - was to buy an oscillating saw and several sets of the different blades.

·
Mentally Frozen
28,470 Posts

·
Native Mainiac
23,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good for you @FullClip !!

This isn't quite as good as your story. But I will give the topic a shot.

I have been remodeling my house. As anyone who has ever done a remodeling job can tell you - it is a heck of a lot easier to build something up from scratch - than it is to try take something that someone else built - down - and then rebuild it.

You have to be very particular about disassembling stuff in the proper order so that the entire thing doesn't fall down or apart on top of you. Also - a house is built in layers. To get to the bottom layer can be next to impossible without removing the top layers. But sometimes the issue is that you do not want to have to disassemble everything that is adjacent to the area that you are working on - just to have the room to get to something else.

Enter the oscillating saw! Whoever invented this tool - I could kiss him on the mouth!

For projects in the past I either had to bite the bullet and go ahead and disassemble something that was perfectly good just to make room to get my hands and/or a tool into a tight spot. In the past I have had to use chisels, rasps, pry bars, hack saws, dremel saws, drills, screwdrivers, etc., to stab at, poke at, pry at, whittle away, chip away, file away, slice at pieces of metal, wood, drywall, concrete, etc. And it took hours of my time - one tiny piece at a time!

But never again. With the wide variety of blades that are available for my oscillating saw - my entire life has been changed. Now I can get into places and finish tasks in less time than it takes to walk across the room to flip on the light switch.

So what have I been doing with all of the extra time that I have been saving? Well, now I look around for new projects so that I can have some more fun!

In other words, the thing that I did right - was to buy an oscillating saw and several sets of the different blades.

Ha-Ha....my brother gave me a Fein several years ago. After I tried it, I went around the house just looking for somethin' that needed to be cut. Great tools for some jobs for sure!!!

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
I went looking for empty 55 gallon drums on Craigslist to build visual barriers at my range. Thought about breaking out the enclosed trailer or the RV, but measured the inside of my SUV and looked like 4 barrels would theoretically fit but be super close...

2051C11F-0A11-49A6-BCBB-454717D33174.jpeg

Decided to try it and it worked out better than expected with room to spare!

·
Just lack finishing up
4,199 Posts
I might have exagerated my incompetence a little bit. Many, many years ago I was an Installation and Repair technician for the phone company. We had meters and diagnostic equipment to find faults in the cables. I was competent, but not fast. I swear that many of the guys I worked with could just flat smell where the opens, shorts and grounds were in the cable. These dudes were fast and could just about clear a case of trouble before I got my meter set up.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts