GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
8,879 Posts
The shutdowns, closures and restrictions have severely impacted my mental health this year. Combined with not being able to go outside due to record breaking heat, I was going crazy and started getting in a depression. Now that the weather is finally nice, I've been able to go outdoors and go shooting, fishing. That has helped A LOT. I suspect it will be the same for everyone who will be indoors for the winter during the current covid spike and continued shutdowns. I can absolutely see why someone would just say **** it and kill themselves.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
90 years opts for assisted suicide rather than face another shut down that deprives her of human contact.

All you shut down zealots should be proud, another elderly person saved from dying with CoVid-19.
So just to be clear... she had already made the decision that that is how she wanted to go before Covid was ever a thing, she knew she was on a timeline because she had to have her mental faculties intact in order to grant consent, and she had significant health problems as well. All per the daughter.

Just to bring a little balance to the thread.

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So just to be clear... she had already made the decision that that is how she wanted to go before Covid was ever a thing, she knew she was on a timeline because she had to have her mental faculties intact in order to grant consent, and she had significant health problems as well. All per the daughter.

Just the rapid decline she suffer was from the isolation imposed on her by politicians, against her will, supposedly to protect her. She may, have gotten the disease, or maybe not. If she got it, she may have gotten really sick, or not. If she got really sick she may have died, or not. Instead they imposed a life on her that she considered worse than death, so she chose death.

So instead a fraction of a chance of death, the government decided for her how she must live. It turns out they couldn’t force that choice on her.

Clearly you have no compassion for the suffering of others. Instead you insist others live how you want them to because you are too lazy to protect yourself.

·
I don't even know....what I'm doing here....
8,805 Posts
Just the rapid decline she suffer was from the isolation imposed on her by politicians, against her will, supposedly to protect her. She may, have gotten the disease, or maybe not. If she got it, she may have gotten really sick, or not. If she got really sick she may have died, or not. Instead they imposed a life on her that she considered worse than death, so she chose death.

So instead a fraction of a chance of death, the government decided for her how she must live. It turns out they couldn’t force that choice on her.

Clearly you have no compassion for the suffering of others. Instead you insist others live how you want them to because you are too lazy to protect yourself.
Oh, and clearly you’re delighted to capitalize on the declining conditions of the elderly, in order to advance your B.S. agenda.

I worked in healthcare, many times as an advocate for the elderly, between 2009 and 2019. I’ve meet people like you many times before. You are what we referred to as a parasite.

From the article you provided, “Russell had been a supporter of dying with dignity long before the pandemic, her family says.”

Precious little pisses me off more than individuals taking advantage of the elderly, and you just crossed that line.

Why don’t you go piss up some other rope and leave our seniors alone. It’s obvious to anyone that’s provided care to them when someone is taking advantage for any number of reasons, You just seem to have that “smell” of a grifter.

Move on to the next target, please.

·
I don't even know....what I'm doing here....
8,805 Posts
The cure is worse than the disease is such a dumb saying. I know what it means, and I get it. It just sounds stupid.
In this case, it is.

Because he’s misrepresenting a senior and her meaning and message to further his agenda.

It’s both pathetic and cruel.

·
Banned
31,207 Posts
Humans need social contact. There is a reason even the worst most violent prisoners are not locked down 24/7. So 70+ has a increased risk of dying if they get kung flu. The isolation has, for a fact, lead to an increase in suicides and folks, especially older folks, have a tendency to “turn their face to the wall”. The trick is to weigh the death rate from kung flu and the death rate from suicide and loss of will to live. Which kills more? That’s just numbers game. No measure of quality of life.
Now, another wrench in the works, is existing the same as living?
Would you enjoy not seeing family when it’s the only thing you live for? In assisted living facilities, skilled nursing facilities, not a lot of opportunities for involved hobbies beyond jigsaw puzzles and TV.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Except as the daughter points out, and you just glossed over... she had in fact already made the decision the have a 'medically assisted death' before Covid was ever a thing and she already knew there was a timeline because she had to make that choice with her cognitive abilities intact.

So yes, while the lockdowns accelerated her decision making, its also quite clear that this decision didn't come out of the blue just because of that.

Just some context for the sake of intellectual honesty. I know that doesn't jive with your narrative.

·
Registered
334 Posts
My 91 year old mother has made her decision. She told me if she can’t see her family, what's the point. She also editorialized that people are living too long now. That said, we still enjoy pizza and beer when I go see her!

·
Director of civil unrest
9,240 Posts

Oh, bring a little balance to the thread? Who does the covid kill?
A little hint; it ain't the healthy young.
Go spread your seeds of hysteria somewhere else.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Oh, bring a little balance to the thread? Who does the covid kill?
A little hint; it ain't the healthy young.
Go spread your seeds of hysteria somewhere else.
I'm well aware that Covid is much deadlier to the elderly and infirm. I'm not sure what I could have posted that made you think otherwise.

It is precisely because Covid is killing those people that we must be diligent to stop its spread in the facilities where the elderly and infirm are.

Your post really makes very little sense in response to mine. Perhaps its really just the lashing out of a frustrated person.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I live in Minnesota and the government has my parents scared to death. Their use of "cases" as a veiled term for "deaths" has had them living as hermits and afraid of any human contact. They need to be careful and protect themselves but what the state has implied is happening should be criminal.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Their use of "cases" as a veiled term for "deaths" has had them living as hermits and afraid of any human contact.
If your folks don’t understand the difference between cases and deaths then they are stupid and that is nobody’s fault but their own.

Nobody is even trying to confuse anyone about this.

·
Registered
933 Posts
If your folks don’t understand the difference between cases and deaths then they are stupid and that is nobody’s fault but their own.

Nobody is even trying to confuse anyone about this.
Sorry, but you're mistaken. And as far as stupid goes well.....................

·
Premium Member
22,761 Posts
My grandmother recently passed away in an assisted living facility. She was 101, and I honestly thought she’d live forever. Her doctor even predicted she’d live to be the oldest woman alive. However, this lockdown took her life before she passed away. For many months, we weren’t allowed to see her. When we finally did, it was from the outside yelling through a window to her. What more is what was going on on the inside. They were pretty much confined to their rooms. No more eating together, bingo, ma Jan, just mostly isolation. It’s truly heartbreaking.

Now I’m not advocating putting people at risk, but just how heartbreaking the unintended consequences of the heightened precautions.

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

So yes, while the lockdowns accelerated her decision making, its also quite clear that this decision didn't come out of the blue just because of that.

Just some context for the sake of intellectual honesty. I know that doesn't jive with your narrative.
And you seem to gloss over the “acceleration”. So when very elderly like this dies with CoVid-19 and many other things, it is a CoVid death and is the most terrible thing there. But by your terms, maybe it just “accelerated” the timeline so warranting the shutdown of the economy, putting tens of million people out of work, putting hundreds of thousands of businesses costing the owners their livelihood, wealth and financial future. At the same time putting all their mental and physical health at risk.

So which is it. Is “acceleration” of death no big deal as you say it is with this woman, or something that warrants damaging the lives of more than a third of the people of this country? Probably “accelerating” all their deaths, as we know stress, and poverty does that. Along with all the preventive healthcare that didn’t occur due to the shutdowns.

At least this woman made a choice about how she wanted to live, and your desires made those conditions that she didn’t want to live in happen. Don’t you feel better about your self?

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
In this case, it is.

Because he’s misrepresenting a senior and her meaning and message to further his agenda.

It’s both pathetic and cruel.
No misrepresentation. Quality of life matters, even if it is risky. People like you discount quality of life too much. Some people want to die if they can’t have it, so do. Some people are willing to take significant risks to have it, some of those die.

Who are you to judge that they are wrong? And force them them to have a diminished quality of life because it is inconvenient for you to protect your self.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
And you seem to gloss over the “acceleration”.
I'm not sure how you're claiming I'm glossing over it when I've just explicitly acknowledged it.

Whereas you have completely overlooked the other factors in this woman's decision, in fact, you've not even yet acknowledged them to this very moment.

Your many, many posts on this topic all really only serve one purpose... to advance a narrative that you like. Not to inform, or have any kind of balanced discussion.

So when very elderly like this dies with CoVid-19 and many other things, it is a CoVid death and is the most terrible thing there. But by your terms, maybe it just “accelerated” the timeline so warranting the shutdown of the economy, putting tens of million people out of work, putting hundreds of thousands of businesses costing the owners their livelihood, wealth and financial future. At the same time putting all their mental and physical health at risk.
I think a lot of the restrictions have been overbearing and unnecessary. We've learned a lot since the early part of the year.

If you weren't so ridiculously emotional about the narrative you're pushing, perhaps you'd be able to actually respond to the things I've said instead of trying to knock down arguments you're only having in your mind.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts