close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Sometimes I'm amazed at the all the stuff out there

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by mpol777, Sep 21, 2004.

1. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

I just recieved the Cabela's 2004 Waterfowl catalog. As I was flipping through I got to thinking about how much crap there is out there for hunters to buy. I remember hunting over wooden decoys with an old potato sack as camo when I was a kid. Now they have decoys that's flap, swim, dive, and dance the salsa. Gone are the decoys of a duck just sitting there. Now they all have moods and facial expressions. No more sitting on a stump, now there's portable padded chairs with built in *** warmers. There's even a layout recliner that will turn your head into a goose (I'm NOT kidding).

9 pages of duck calls!

Of course you need some camo socks to go with your camo long johns even though they'll be covered by your camo pants and camo shirt which are underneath your camo jacket and camo waders. With the ultra realistic patterns out there nowadays nature is having a hard time making cat tails look real enough to match the clothes.

I'm not here to pass judgement as I too have been mesmorized by the modern gadgets at times. It does make you think though. How good are men today at hunting, compared to years gone by, if they need all this stuff?

2. noway

noway

Hunting equipment and supplys is a big $$$$ dollars business. I just wish I start a Cabela's or Outdoor world. ;)

Every year I try to keep track of what I spend and hoe much of it really need.

3. lomfs24

lomfs24

I think, by far, my favorite cammo print is on a roll of toilet paper. ;f

Thinking of calls and elk hunting, companies continue to make a single sound call, like the new Hoochie Mamma, and it works great for a year or two and then the bulls seem to not respond to it anymore. It's like they know it is a fake. That's why I spend 4.95 each year to buy a new diaphram mouth call, I can make any sound I want come out if it. No single sound calls for me.

You should see Cabella's full catalog. Not just their seasonal ones. It would make your head spin. It rivals the old JC Penny catalogs for size.

4. Blah!

Blah! Guest

I agree there is to much stuff out there. Duck calls that sell for hundreds of dollars? Im waiting to see a platinum turkey call;Q Maybe carbon fiber next year huh? Give me a break! But its true what noway says it sells like crack in motown.;P

5. USPcompact

USPcompact

If you mean the hardback Cabela's catalog, I agree. It's ginormous.

6. rfb45colt

rfb45colt safe-cracker

What upsets me the most, is all the opportunities I've missed in the past 30 years. A lot of the stuff I see in the catalogs, I was making myself before someone else was making and selling them. I've been "inventing" hunting "gadgets" for my own use, for decades.

For example, take the ladder stands that are now so popular. One of my deer hunting buddies and I were making metal ladder stands, very similar to the ones that now take up several pages of the hunting catalogs, back in the 70's. We were using 10' sections of old TV antenna towers for the ladders, and made platforms (complete with footrests, etc) out of plywood and the steel legs of old discarded kitchen chairs. We'd attach them to the trees using chain and turnbuckles... ratchet straps were'nt invented yet. :( I was still using one of these up until about 6 years ago. I can't count the deer we shot from our homemade ladder stands over the years.

Another "invention" of ours, was to take old umbrellas, paint them with flat colored spray paint (we used grey and black primer... camo colored spray paint was still a decade away), and we made brackets to attach them to the trees so they'd be over our stands... so we could comfortably sit all day in rain/snow. Again in the 70's... now they sell them, in camo colors.

As for the "movable" waterfowl decoys, we made them by adding wings to goose silhouettes made of plywood (which we cut using jig saws, then painted them). The wings were made of spring steel rods and black felt, and we moved them by tying old fishing line to the tips. The other ends of the line were tied to old broom handles, and we'd sit in the blind and tug the lines (sometimes 10 on a broom handle, which would "flap" the wings of 5 decoys simultaneously) like working a puppet. We always said we'd like to put some little battery powered motors on them, but we never did. This was also in the 70's. In the early 80's, a buddy took a plastic duck decoy, cut the bottom off of it, and mounted it on an old radio-controlled boat he had. He'd "swim" it around our decoy spread when any ducks were nearby... it worked pretty good. ;f

The 1st camo hunting jacket I owned, back in the 60's, was an olive green, army surplus, field jacket. I "drew" camo on it, using black, brown, and green magic markers. ;) Remember the "tie-dye" craze of the late 60's? I took advantage of it by making camo clothing by tie-dying old blue jeans. 1st, I used a color remover, then I'd dye them light brown or tan, then I'd tie-dye them using dark green or black. They looked real funky, but they worked. ;)

7. noway

noway

Very good post. LOL with the Radio Controlled duck decoy. ;)

8. FullClip

FullClip NRA Benefactor CLM

;z ;z ;z I'd buy one of those just for something to do when nothings flying!!

Put a 10 foot length of line and a small Rapala minnow on my step son's boat once. Ran it up and down the shoreline from my dock and WHAM!!;P One of the biggest pickrel I ever saw nailed the minnow. Drug the boat about 1/4 mile up the lake and then tossed the hook. Kind of like a miniture version of "Jaws".

I'm pretty much a sucker for gadgets, but have managed to keep my hunting gizmos to a minimum. Love to thumb though the catalogs. The "on-line" versions just aren't the same. (and I don't have a wireless lan to use my laptop in the "library".)

9. Dogbite

Dogbite DNT TREAD ON ME

Fullclip---hehehe,man,thanks for posting that about the boat and the pickrel--thats the kind of story i love to hear!!!Good stuff!!^b

10. Hunterjbb

Hunterjbb

there are a lot of gadgets and gizmos out there.. does that make for a better hunter? In my opinion no. What it does is make Marginal hunters have better oppurtunities. scent blocker clothing, aim dot sights, 6000 varieties of cammo.. etc.. does not make you a better hunter..

A good hunter will come home with game because he's invested the time and effort to know his prey and practice with his weapons and learn how to get around the woods and to use natural cover and above all good hunters are patient.

Not that I consider myself a "good hunter" but i've come home with deer while in the woods with blue jeans and a bright orange shirt and hat...

It is fun looking at the catalog though :) one thing that i think is the greatest of the inventions.. Gore-Tex.. nothing is worse then sitting in your stand cold and wet waiting on your deer friends to show up.. :)

I don't know about all the Cabela's stores but if you get the chance go to the one in Hamburg PA.. just walk around and look at the taxidermy.. simply awesome. they have just about everything and some incredible White tail and Mulies..

11. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

mpol777, .... Said, (quote),

".....I'm not here to pass judgement as I too have been mesmorized by the modern gadgets at times. It does make you think though. How good are men today at hunting, compared to years gone by, if they need all this stuff?" (end quote).

Amen!
    Well Said!

i have always been of the, "Keep It Simple" Philosophy.

CanyonmMan

12. rfb45colt

rfb45colt safe-cracker

IMO, the success of marketing all those "gadgets" is, in part, due to the fact that the hunting ability of the majority of hunters today is not as good as those hunters of the past. Why? I believe it's due to several reasons.

1st... in the past, hunting was not only a recreational activity, but a means to put much needed food on the table. There may still be some people in this situation today, but no where near as many as there was 50-60-70 years ago. My grandfather had a family to feed during the great depression, and if he didn't bag some game (year-round) they didn't have any meat. He spent a helluva lot more time in the woods (thus gaining knowledge of game animals) than I possibly can.

2nd... there is a lot less land available to hunt on today, with urbanization and "developments".
    There are just as many (if not more) hunters today as there were 50 years ago... but they're crowded into less and less land. It has become more "competitive". Hunters are looking for anything that will give them "an edge" over the guy in the treestand or duck blind 100 yds away.

Because hunters have less time to spend in the woods, and there are more hunters using less land,
    the "gadgets" are seen by many as a short-cut to success. And in many cases they are. Most of this stuff really does work as advertised. If the duck hunters in the blind a few hundreds away have "motion" decoys, you'd better have them too... otherwise you'd better find a spot to hunt where there's no gadgetized competition. And that's becoming harder and harder to do.

For example... last year's opening weekend of duck hunting, I had no "spinning wing decoys". As I was usually the only one hunting in that spot, I did OK without them. But last year, some "new guys" found my "secret" spot on public land, and they had a "spinner". I might as well have left my gun at home. All the ducks went right past my decoys to theirs. So... I bought not one, but two "spinners", right after last year's opening weekend. My "competition" only hunted opening weekend in my secret spot. WI has a split opener, with the northern half of the state opening a week before the southern. My competition was from the southern half of the state, and came up north, where there's an abundance of public land open to hunting, to get in on the earlier start. They told me that everybody down there (where there's less public land - thus more crowded conditions) has the spinners. If you don't, you don't have much action.

Yesterday (opening weekend), the same southern guys showed up with their "spinner".... but as I had two of them going, the ducks didn't bypass me like they did last year, but came right in to my decoys. I had my limit of mallards in the 1st hour. :) Last year's opener, I never fired a shot... but those other guys nearly ran out of ammo. Because I "geared up" to keep up with the competition, I had more success... my 30 years of decoying and calling experience didn't mean diddly compared to the technology used by those other guys.

Just my two cents.

13. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

RB the same thing happened to my dad and I last year. The fellas in the blind to the east had 2 robo ducks. We still got a few in, but it was rush hour over their blind all morning. A few weeks later there were 2 robo ducks on order. ;f If we hunt the small ponds where we are the only hunters ever, regular decoys are all we need, but if we get drawn for the refuge again you can bet we'll have have them out there.

My senior year in high school I hunted every day of duck season. Sometimes hitting both the morning and evening. I didn't need gear, couldn't buy it if I did. :) If I didn't get a duck one day there was always tomorrow. If you have your priorities all screwed up you might only go out a few times a season. Which means you need to make it happen that day or you're SOL. Even some seasons are short. Some big tags only last a week.

14. Sulaco

Sulaco Guest

The only thing I buy new every year is a hunting license and some doe tags. I buy new cover scent, attractant, and whatnot when mine runs out. I have had the same clothes and boots for about six years or so.

15. Quake Guy

Quake Guy Superior Member

Sportsmans Guide had a remote control duck with propellors... Not sure how well it would work in the field, might be fun in the pool...

16. 8-Ball

8-Ball Old Soul

i dont use all that crap. i like to go sit in a blind or treestand freezing my ***** off eatin beef jerky. I got cover scent and some calls, even though i do have a pair of camo boxers ;) and I swear im wearin a camo tux to my wedding