close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Sometimes I prefer Revolvers

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by Valor1, Sep 15, 2004.

1. Valor1

Valor1 Range Bum

There are times that I prefer double action revolvers over pistols. Whenever I go to the range, I always have to pick up my used brass or let somebody do it for me. Thinking about my brass breaks my concentration and eventually adding unnecessary range time. If you compete, don’t you just hate how some people pick up your brass and then sell it to somebody else for about P1 a pop? It is hateful to always scrounge for your brass because your pistol simply spat it out. It is untidy and disturbs the necessary order of things. The revolver simply presents my used brass like a servant to a king whenever I open the cylinder.

In order for my 1911 to cycle reliably I have to consider so many things. I have to consider a polished barrel ramp, the extractor tuning, the right springs, the grocery list, the family’s meal for the and whatever. I’m no gunsmith nor do I like my gunsmith getting rich because of my ignorance. A good revolver like a Ruger GP100 or S&W 686 just goes bang whenever the cylinder aligns with the hammer. I am referring to a good revolver not the fly by night gone tomorrow morning revolver specimens. If the gun doesn’t fire on the first round, I just pull the trigger until something goes boom. I hate it when I have to do a tap-rack-bang on a pistol.

When I reload bullets or ask somebody to reload for me, I really need to make sure that they or I follow the right powder load, the type of head used, the over all length and a host of others. Whenever I use a revolver, I just open the wheel, in goes the bullets and I’m in business. In a pistol, if I deviate a little on the load data, the gun won’t cycle or sometimes a kaboom occurs.

Revolvers also shoot the most powerful ammunition in the world without any problems. I can shoot anything from the most diminutive caliber up to perhaps the .50 magnum calibers. Somebody mentioned the Desert Eagles? How about reliability on those behemoths? I like guns that I can use in a defensive situation not just for the range or simply flaunting how big my gun is. I have other bigger things to consider and look at. Where’s my FHM?

There are times that my magazines fail on me. I have to buy a new spring or a new follower. There are even times that I need a “magazine tuning.” One more thing that compounded to the magazine problems aside from rarity is the price. Some gun stores who once experienced brisk selling of pistols are now increasing the magazine prices. It is not everyday that somebody buys a new gun but everyday somebody can buy a new magazine. If I were a gun store owner I’ll give the competitors a shooter’s lounge. The demand for magazines on these folks can really make my business lucrative. In a revolver, if I have the gun and some ammo I’m good to go. I can opt for a speed reloader anytime because it is optional for me.

Concealability is a plus factor in pistols. Many models are small and thin. I can’t help thinking about the S&W J frame revolvers that’s been with us for so many decades. Some revolvers even have bobbed hammers or concealed hammers making them easy to pull out of your holsters wherever they may be located.

I tried the frame mounted and slide mounted safety on most pistols. I don’t find any problems with those. It’s just sometimes whenever I’m already trained on a specific model (like an S&W Model 59), I have to “retrain” again on another model (a 1911 comes to mind). The difference on the location of the safety switch gives me a substantial delay in presenting my gun if I familiarized myself with a different safety. I don’t see this problem with a revolver. When I get too familiar with a snubnose, there is no problem transitioning to a six-inch barrel revolver. Their manual of arms is the same no matter what size they come in.

Competitions favor the pistols. I can only imagine how much Jerry Miculek trained to be the world’s fastest revolver shooter. I also admire Bob Munden’ trick shooting on the revolvers. Anyway these are just thoughts on the revolver. I like them because once you have them cleaned, all you need is ammo and you’re in business.

2. antediluvianist

antediluvianist

Good enumeration of the revolver's advantages, Valor1.

On the other hand, you have just 6 (or possibly 7 or 8 shots) and then a not-very-fast "speedloader". Yes, everybody says "don't miss in the first place"; but we are all human. And these days, there may be more than one assailant/house intruder at the same time.

I own a revolver (686Plus 7-shooter), and have ordered 7-shot spring-powered speedloaders from "SL Variant" in Las Vegas (the 7-shot gravity-feed HKS speedloaders are just too slow.)

What this world needs is a system where the cylinder on a revolver can be quickly and easily snapped off, and replaced with a prepared, loaded, cylinder that quickly and easily snaps on. Expensive to do it that way, yes, and probably would compromise the reliability of a revolver. Also would be a pain to carry heavy extra cylinders around. Oh well, I guess it will have to be speedloaders.....

3. Valor1

Valor1 Range Bum

Ah yes. I wished revolvers were equipped with removable cylinders like magazines in pistols. I saw that idea when I was watching Voltes 5 decades ago. The lead character Steve is using a revolver type pistol with a cylinder that acts as a magazine. Oh well, I guess the firearms industry is a bit conservative or slow in introducing new ideas.

4. horge

horge -=-=-=-=- Lifetime Member

Valor,
    Hmm.

6-7 shots is plenty if you consider the apparent trend towards compact 'magazine pistols' for CCW. Those typically pack 6-7 rounds too, though they have the advantage of a flatter shape and a higher cool-factor (bwahaha!!) than 'revolver pistols'.

What I dislike about wheelguns is the commonly all-DA trigger and the pretty high bore axis. I rented a .38 Spl (the place along EDSA), and was surprised at the muzzle flip. Slower rate of fire tuloy, fighting the trigger and waiting for the barrel to come back in line. Maybe it takes more training...dunno.

It's pretty hard to argue against something as nearly fail-safe as a wheelgun, but the choice otherwise remains: it's sometimes like arguing brandy vs. beer: Either way, with proper application, you're happily drunk.
    ;c

-----

If you want a revolving pistol with a removable cylinder, take a look at the old breaktops (Model 3, etc) by S&W--- mabagal pa rin nga lang...
    ;f

5. krinkov

krinkov Shutter Maniac

i had a chance to use a Smith model 686(6-in. barrel) in a competition. i'm not a fast shooter even with a pistol and i admit i could have been the slowest shooter in that match but there's something markedly different about a revolver--i shot more "A"s since the heavy muzzle hardly jumped and i had no trouble recovering. and the gun hardly jerked because there was no slide to cycle. reloading is really slow especially that i'm a lefty plus i need to wear a glove on my weak hand to protect me from burns since i have to place the web of my hand directly behind the forcing cone as my thumb pushes out the cylinder.

one nice thing is that you start in only one ready condition--wala nang condition "1" or "2" and if you're using "moon clips" you won't have a hard time picking up your brass. you'll need a lot of clips or speedloaders, though especially when competing in a level 3 match. and you'll have to plan reloads carefully so as not to run dry at the worst possible time in a stage. ;N

6. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter

ante: You should see Ernie Balburias during a match. He uses a 6 inch S&W with 8 rounds in moon clips. He does not compete in revolver division but in production division. Mas mabilis pa mag-reload kesa sa mga naka automatic pistols! during the last Sec. Eduardo Ermita Cup at Aguinaldo, he whipped our asses off using his S&W revolver!

;e

7. antediluvianist

antediluvianist

Eye Cutter - I would like to get in touch with Ernie Balburias and ask him about his moonclips and gun. Moonclips are not very common around here. 8-shot S&W revolver? Must be a 627. also would like to ask him about what gunsmith he suggests for S&Ws.

please PM me in case you have the contact details.

8. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter

ante: i don't have his contact number but will ask when I see him this weekend at Armscor. If you have time, you can drop by at armscor in the morning to see him yourself!

Majority of the BoG's will be shooting Sunday anyway. Just follow the sound of the loudest and most boisterous squad shooting there!

9. antediluvianist

antediluvianist

Thanks, Doc. I intend to ask him if he had his revo cylinder machined (to accept moonclips) here and if so by whom. Yes, you're right, moonclips are fastest way to reload a revo. (If the gun he has is an M625 (.45acp) or any other gun that takes a non-rimmed round, his cylinder would have come from the factory ready to accept moonclips. But if it's an 8-shooter, that would be the .357/.38 M627 and I supose he would have had to get it machined to accept moonclips.)

Also, am interested where he gets his (presumably metallic) moonclips locally.Or maybe he just ships them in rom an online source.

Anyway, thanks. I am bing@aim.edu.ph .

10. Valor1

Valor1 Range Bum

Good point Horge. Beer vs. Brandy? ha ha ha. Just wanted to talk about revolvers and thanks for the input guys. I started the thread even though the last time I owned a revolver was in 1996 (a Ruger SP-101, I know I shouldn't have sold that little beast). I saw Jerry Miculek in a video and it left my mouth wide open. If I compete with him, I'l use a Vulcan (so no more reloads). I think he favors the 625 tuned by S&W's Performance Center or something.

11. horge

horge -=-=-=-=- Lifetime Member

If I were even a tenth as fast as
    Jerry Miculek or Ed McGivern...
    ;1 ;1 ;1

12. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter

13. antediluvianist

antediluvianist

I know you don't need it, but just to see a cute animation of how the mainspring and the secondary springs (generally) work in a revolver, try going to the website below, and click on the trigger in the box (middle of page) called "How A Revolver Works". Cute.

http://people.howstuffworks.com/revolver2.htm

14. paltic

paltic

valor1,
    naiintindihan kita pare....kasi habang nagre-reply ako sa iyo ngayon e revolver ang carrygun ko for the day;P (magaan,reliable,etc..) (m38 s&w)...nasa bahay yung p13..(nagpapahinga);Q

ernie balburias is the best...kasi when i started ipsc shooting 15 years ago..nandyan na siya.(dumating at umalis ang optics ng revolvers)..then up to now...siya parin...(sa kanya galing s&w Model 14 ko:) ) kahit hindi full moon clips kaya niya magreload ng mabilis using jetloader..

15. Valor1

Valor1 Range Bum

paltic,
    balita ko nga magaling daw iyan si Ernie Balburias, siguro I'll get to meet and talk with him someday. o kaya baka makita ko ang bagong revolver shooter na mabilis (si Ante? he he he)

16. Vault Keeper

Vault Keeper

Just browsing through the site and came across the thread...

When my dad and I was shopping for a revo for him I was pointing to him the newer models...Titanium, hammerless...etc. Even some brands like Taurus, Ruger etc. (para mas mura...naku baka magalit tatay ko at magpakita sa akin...;P ) BUt he preferred the S&W model 64 (2 inch barrrel) in SS...arrrray;g .

But when we tried it, straight from the gunstore, wowowie ang sarap iputok and the recoil was like nothing! And to think its a 2 inch barrel gun!

I now have it transferred to my name when he passed away last year and will keep it for good...

[​IMG]