close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

something that happened

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by *ASH*, Jun 17, 2012.

1. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

the other day and kinda bothering me , i was mowing grass and when i mean grass about 8 acres of it . then i went got lawnmower and was mowing my moms front yard , kinda incline
    and its right on the road ., i always mow facing traffic so if some idiot swerves or not paying attention i can bail .

anyway i have not told anyone this , but while mowing a big gravel truck coming down hill towards me , i always stop when cars come as courtesy to not blow something on their car . BUT
    the driver was coming over real close to side of road at me , and i just sat there , at last moment he swerved or i would have been clipped .

and i thought as he roared past me , why didnt i move ???

anyone else have something similar ??

2. NorthCarolinaLiberty

NorthCarolinaLiberty MentalDefective

You hate cutting grass so much that:

1. Your quick thinking devised a way to bust up your skeleton so you would not have to mow the rest of the summer

OR

2. You subconsciously hoped your wife was watching from the window. She would see how dangerous mowing really is, so she would either cut the grass herself or pay somebody out of her own pocket.

3. treeline

treeline

Yes, and so has everyone else, even if they don't remember or won't admit it. :whistling:

It's the standard response to danger - freeze, pull a stupid face then berate yourself for not doing something more useful. It's an automatic reaction and takes training to overcome, and even then that only applies to certain situations. Something like a car speeding past is too quick for fight or flight, especially if you didn't realize the car would clip you until the last second. I'm sure most Gters can think of a time a car almost hit them and they just froze up instead of leaping out the way in a manly fashion.

I once saw someone pull a gun on another guy in LA and it was so unexpected I stopped in mid stride and just sort of dangled there on one foot. My friends were walking behind me and said it looked so odd they all had alarm bells in their head and knew something was wrong. Apparently I was the member of the herd that would get eaten and serve as a warning to others.

4. okie

okie GT Mayor

I'm glad you weren't hit my friend:phew:

5. jph02

jph02

:goodpost:

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  6. JLA

JLA

In the back of your mind you're saying "this isn't really happening at the time" but indeed it is happening. Your "Uh oh moment" messed with your logic.

7. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

Adrenalin junkie.

WP

8. rhikdavis

rhikdavis U.S. Veteran

Maybe you were having a 'Hancock' moment.

9. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

You froze. It happens. As stated training for specific events can greatly reduce this.

A soldier's natural reaction to incoming fire is to hit the dirt. Just the whistle of artillery is enough to cause the reaction.

Without knowledge of the results of the specific event and having never trained to do so a lot (probably most) folks would just look around wondering what that whistling sound is.

10. dango

dango

Sometimes we give the human race way to much credit for having ( SOME ) common sense , the school of hard knocks.

Glad he didn't hit you man , who else would be around to get my emotional juices running ?

A fan !

11. Fastbear

Fastbear

Object Fixation. The natural tendency to look at an object you are moving towards or an object moving toward you. With moving vehicles your eyes require training to break the looking concentration or a collision maybe imminent. People riding motorcycles should be very aware of object fixation when approaching a corner.

The gravel truck approaching the RP is a call for quick thinking in breaking the eye fixation and to take immediate action to avoid the upcoming accident.