Something just didn't seem right about this...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by golls17, Jan 12, 2010.

1. golls17

golls17 Lifetime Newbie

I live in an apartment complex. When our leasing office needs to contact us, they usually do so by just dropping a letter in front of our door in an envelope with our apartment number on it.

Last night (Monday, Dec 11), my fiance was in and out of our apartment doing laundry. Around 1900, she came back in and said there was a letter at our door. It read:

A lot of things seemed really fishy to me at first glance.

- The letter came almost an hour after the leasing office was closed
    - There was no opportunity to call to confirm between the time the letter was delivered to the time we were supposed to "leave our doors unlocked"
    - The letter was on a plain sheet of paper, no letterhead
    - The letter was not in an envelope
    - When I asked earlier today, my fiance said she could not remember if she saw the same letter in front of the other residents' doors.

There was, of course, no way I was going to leave my doors unlocked. Honestly, the whole thing just screamed burglary setup to me, like somebody trying to get in easy on a naive sheep.

Anyways, I left and locked my doors as usual and went to work. I got home and everything was exactly as I had left it, so I called the leasing office.

They said that they had sent the letter out, but that the company was rescheduling (didn't say why). I told them that I was shocked they would ask us to leave our residences unlocked while away. The lady told me that when they reschedule I can leave my door locked and that a technician from the leasing office would let them in. I told them there was no way I would allow total strangers into my residence, even if it was somebody through the leasing office, without my presence.

She told me the best they could do was try to give me an idea of whether it will be morning or afternoon when they come. They do not offer appointments because the company is from out of town.

The only mention of lessor's entry rights are:
    So, do I have a right to refuse entry in a situation where I'm only given 12 hours notice and the office is closed during those 12 hours, or are they able to come in no matter what? Leases I've had in the past usually specify 24 hours, but I can't seem to find any WI legislation confirming that to be the law.

2. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

Leave your interior doors that may access the meter unlocked. Lock your entrance door.

3. Scared_of_zombies

Scared_of_zombies

load shotgun, crack a beer, wait for burglar.

4. golls17

golls17 Lifetime Newbie

I should have been more specific I guess.

The exterior door is always unlocked (entryway to 8 apartments).

There is only 1 door to enter my apartment, and it's always locked, whether I'm home or not. They wanted me to leave the entryway to my apartment unlocked as my meter is [apparently] inside my apartment.

5. Scared_of_zombies

Scared_of_zombies

is it really? that seems odd.

6. golls17

golls17 Lifetime Newbie

I agree, it is odd. Pics of it from inside the closet next to the water heater soon to follow...

7. golls17

golls17 Lifetime Newbie

8. Glocks&Ducs

Glocks&Ducs

I seriously doubt they wanted you to leave the door to your apartment unlocked. Interior doors mean doors inside of your apartment, so they can get into the various rooms in the event they need to troubleshoot for some reason.

Besides that, you are renting from them. They can come into your apartment pretty much any time they want.