Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
10,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at ammo availability on several online dealers. I steered to think some conspiracy theory thoughts.

Inelastic supply and massive increase in demand can easily explain why all the common calibers are sold out or going for such insane prices.

But why is all the weird stuff sold out too?

Surely all these new shooters aren’t buying up the entire supply of unusual and boutique rounds?

Is the government buying up everything in sight just to keep it out of the hands of civilians?

Probably not.... but maybe!

·
Registered
674 Posts
My understanding is the mfgs shift production. They have limited runs of the odd stuff then retool for the more popular stuff. Odd stuff is made when the popular stuff is caught up. Right now nothing gets caught up because of the higher than normal demand.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My understanding is the mfgs shift production. They have limited runs of the odd stuff then retool for the more popular stuff. Odd stuff is made when the popular stuff is caught up. Right now nothing gets caught up because of the higher than normal demand.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
This makes sense. I didn’t know that they could easily retool machines between calibers.

I guess I don’t have much of a future in the ammo manufacturing biz.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
It's difficult to comprehend where it's all going. I bought as much as I could of the Wal-Mart close out last fall, but very little since then. I don't buy when prices are up, and I can't figure out who does.

I would think the new gun owners would buy a box or two with their new gun, put it in the closet and just feel better that it's there. I wouldn't think new owners would actually shoot a lot. But I must be mistaken.

Reactions: OXMYX and DAKA

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
You have a number of new constraints in addition to a crazy buying spree. Remember when under Osama simple gun owners bought up all the ammo and factories couldn’t keep up. Now you have riots, looting and defund police panic buying. Then you have Joe Biden becoming President causing buying.

To top all that off you have factories shut down and working with minimal staff trying to keep up with demand.

To top all that off what % of the raw materials needed to make stuff comes from say China or India or ???, who is also shut down and playing catch-up.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I was out on base today and was able to pick up a box of 9mm and a box of .223 only was able to bought one box each.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
It depends on manufacturers runs. I ordered four cases of 9mm fmj, ten cases of 357sig fmj and six cases of 357 jhp back in august. The four cases of 9mm showed up today. They have no eta on the 357sig. Once 1/1/21 hits, i will be ordering 30 cases of 357 fmj. Everything thing else i ordered from winchester (380 fmj/jhp, 9mm jhp, 5.56) came quickly.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I was at my big box outdoor store early this week after they got their shipment in. Was able to get 1 box of Win NATO and 2 boxes of Blazer Brass 115 gr 9mm. The Blazer was reasonable for these times ~ $.32/round, with the NATO ~ $.40/round. So I took it of course.

For perspective, the last time I bought any 9 mm in bulk was ~ $.17/round for 115 gr. and $.19/round for 124 gr. NATO. Turned down 2 boxes of Federal .40 S&W though because it was $.40/round for aluminum case ammo. Never shot aluminum or steel cased ammo in any of my guns so far.

BUT ... those reloader of you out there will appreciate this, I got a brick (1000 count) of CCI large rifle primers, of which I was in short supply. Primers of any kind had been unobtanium. They also got in a couple bricks of small pistol magnum primers as well. Online I was finally able to get a .223 reloading die, some Sierra Match King bullets on sale, and some Hornady 9mm XTP bullets I had been searching for as well.

I needed some subsonic 9 mm for a new "application" and was able to get a case of Blazer Brass 147 gr. and some Win 147 gr. JHP's online. Even with doing a lot of searching to find online prices that had come down a bit, I still paid up big time for those because I "needed" them. LOL

My overall impression is that the situation is easing just a little, even if prices have not come down much yet. (Or we are just in a short lull before the next crunch!)

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Whoever was delivering pallets of bricks and roadblocks to AntiFa and BLM surely has pallets of ammo and arms stocked up. Just in case.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Must be human nature to hoard stuff. I remember back in the 70’s the same thing happened with gasoline, sugar, chocolate, and coffee. Any hint of a shortage, real or not, and folks rush out to buy as much as they can find. This, in turn, stresses the supply system for whatever it is, and it becomes a real shortage and a self fulfilling prophesy.

Reactions: Slock

·
Registered
772 Posts
Local supply seems to have picked up. My LGS has been flush on 9mm @ $29.99/50rnds and 5.56 @ $20.00 /20rnds for the past ~10 days. Shelves were bare for weeks prior to this run. Even had some 300BO on hand in 200rnd packs.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts