Someone close to you dies & 2 funeral homes in town...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Lakerunner, Feb 11, 2010.

1. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

I want a solid copper, gold or bronze casket so that when the archeologists find me they will assume all the others buried in the cemetery were my servants.

2. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

When I go,......cremation. Party, none of that crying crap.
    Either celebrate my life's accomplishments or celebrate that my pain in the azz
    carcass has left the living! :supergrin:
    Eventually My remains will be spread over a NW Washington State mountain ridge.

3. INJoker

INJoker Simply Charming

This, right here, is the type of logic that I love GT for.

:rofl:

4. farley45

farley45

Funerals are more about the living than the dead, IMO.

5. railfancwb

railfancwb

This was done by a crematorium near Chattanooga -- well over 100 bodies as I recall. Brought a lot of unnecessary grief to a lot of families...and a bunch of lawsuits.

6. blueiron

blueiron

Federal law requires that funeral homes itemize and list their prices for the various services and products.

Get a list from both providers and compare prices. Many will negotiate a lower price or price match to get your business.

7. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

:rofl: You're smarter than that Drew...

A funeral is not about the dead, its about the living. Funeral Directors can be real hawks on those that are grieving(thankfully most aren't). Sometimes family might feel obligated to throw some big broohah, despite the fact they knew your wishes were to be shoved through a grinder.. :)

IGF

8. Max5

Max5

Funerals are ALL about the living, providing closure and solace.

The dead don't care one way or the other about a funeral. They don't care about anything. They are beyond caring. They are dead.

9. Glenn129

Glenn129

Do as I have done, go prepay for your funeral and pick out the casket and plans you want. My funeral is paid for and planned down to the songs and obit written. All the kids have to do is show up and look sad. Picking out a coffin/casket at the time of death is exactly what funeral directors love. How many times have people heard, "If you really loved him/her you will want to show it in a beautiful and lasting resting place (casket), bla, bla, bla.

10. sarge83

sarge83

Agreed, there are only two in my small town. One has a dying, no pun intended, reputation because they don't pay their bills or pay them with bad checks which most merchants hold, call the bank and then run and cash it when there is money in the account.

The other does it's fair share of business, has a good reputation of being professional and paying their bills on time.

My family has used both in the past and had relatives that worked in the business years ago.

When you call a funeral home at the time of a death unless you bury or cremate the deceased within 24hrs. you are probably going to have to have the body embalmed. So shopping around is something you are going to have to do pretty fast. As for what you spend, depends on what you want. You can get a bronze casket for $10K+ or go as cheap as a cardboard casket or cremation. Do you want a visitation one day and funeral the next or have them both on the same day? A weekday funeral is less than a weekend funeral? Do you want a heavy gauge steel vault or no vault? In this area the average cost is between $5000-$6000.

11. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Member Millennium Member

A "cheap pine box" isn't always what you think. Some states have pretty strict laws on what is and isn't allowed for casket use.

I saw one "cheap pine box" per the deceased person's wishes... It was a hokey homemade box (purchased from the funural home) that had a nail sticking out the side and the uneven varnish job was barely dry and the fumes were very strong. It was clearly made from scratch a day or two previous. I overheard someone say it cost $600-something for the "cheap pine box" coffin.

12. Steve0853

Steve0853

In our area, most of the time families stay with the funeral home that that particular family has always used.

We're lucky in that we have a very professional funeral home that our family has always used. I would rather these folks buried one of my loved one's than any other funeral home even if they charged half price.

In my wife's hometown in SC, there are two longtime funeral homes. I would hate to think that I was going to be billed for a service that either of them provided. Very chintzy and disorganized.

13. raven11

raven11

agreed 100%

i had a recent death in the family and there was more infighting about who was to pay the bills then grief for the deceased.

lucky there was enough to pay for the funeral for donations but the family rifts that it cause will be there for years

14. Foxterriermom

Foxterriermom No place like home

My dad's side of the family always used this one particular business (though there were several to choose from) so when he passed there was no question who we were going to use. We didn't go the absolute cheapest (even though I know that's what he would have done) but we didn't do anything fancy either. Still ran $10,000. My dad was a wonderful man and no one in the immediate family begrudged a single penny that we spent to bury him and we would do it all the same in a heartbeat. What others have said is correct - funerals are for the living. We did what we thought was honorable without being excessive.

15. Steve0853

Steve0853

FTM.......that would have been about right in our area for "good, but not ostentatious."

Insurance sure is a wonderful thing....

16. fudiem

fudiem Lifetime Member Millennium Member

I'm a funeral director. We are not all blood suckers. Every profession has a few bad apples.

Shop around and then negotiate but also talk to the funeral directors on staff and listen to your gut. Ask if they are family owned and operated.

We've been in business over 100 years. We have watched our competition come and go. You don't last that long by taking advantage of your community.

17. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

:agree:

Pre arranging save not only time, but lots of families savings and checking accounts, from being drained when a family member passes away.

:cool:

18. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

Planning things out and taking care of things about my departure has been on my "to do" list for a couple years now. I don't plan on checking out anytime soon, but for some reason, I've been toying with the idea of builiding my own box as the ultimate DIY project. Guess I gotta check out the local burial codes and then come up with something unique...maybe with a hidden drawer to hold one of my Glocks and some spare mags just in case the "zombie" thing ever comes true. Or at least take care of any ground hogs trying to move into my pad. Bad thing is, I think it would creep me out every time I walked by it if I stored it in my shed.

But back to the OP question. Do what makes you feel good, but don't get talked into spending money you don't have on a funeral. I've never heard anybody talk about a cheap funeral. Anybody that really loves the family and the departed isn't coming to the funeral looking for a show. Luckily, I've never had to deal with anything like that yet...but I know it's coming as my family ages.

19. Tweek's Turbos

Tweek's Turbos

Best thing to do, is find out if they are both family owned and operated. This is the easiest way. Also the better biz bureau will have information probably as well. You can also look at what they do in the community, donations to churches, little leagues ect ect. My home town was the same way, really it boiled down to the owners personality. One was a complete ******, the other was really outgoing and lived life (untill he died). Talk to others in the comunity that have gone thru this recently too. Pricing can reflect certain things, look inside the building, at the cars they have, the property. 1 home might be cheaper but it could look like a used car lot with decor from the 1970s.

Also ask the local clergy, check with all the local churches, Hospice chaplains, local cemeterys, Hospitals ect.

No we don't. If you are a poor consumer, that is your fault. I actually have to recomend other funeral homes when I can't meet a family's requirements. Having way more than my fair share of family death's before the age of 20, I would rather see somebody get what they are looking for and be happy with a funeral home, than make an extra buck.

Best answer.

Many people actually do live in them. The problem with somebody less attached is they often times don't get or give the correct information to begin with. We many times have people call the funeral home asking for pricing. When we ask what services and what not the family is looking for, they usually are completely clue less.

Some religions actually require them. A Mass of Christian Burial, is a required sacrement in the Catholic faith. Check with your local diosese if the body must be present or if you can bring ashes.

Well if you are a Catholic dead, and you don't get your last sacrement that could be a big deal.

I have been a FD for 9 years, I hold 3 diff state licenses to practice and am lucky enough to work for one of the highest regarded funeral homes in the DC metro region. A good funeral director will also look at alot of the factors I have mentioned above before chosing to work for a funeral home. I could be making big money up the street working for SCI, but I wouldn't be as respected in the area if I did.

20. Combatcomm

Combatcomm

I've been toying with the idea of builiding my own box as the ultimate DIY project. Guess I gotta check out the local burial codes and then come up with something unique...maybe with a hidden drawer to hold one of my Glocks and some spare mags just in case the "zombie" thing ever comes true. Or at least take care of any ground hogs trying to move into my pad.

Great Idea:faint:FULL CLIP
    Sorry I thought it would give credit to full clip

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010