close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Some sales people don't get it.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by jeff painter, Jan 30, 2010.

1. jeff painter

jeff painter

We have been look at new travel trailers and have met all types of sales people. We have been dealing with this sales guy from one of our 2 top choices to buy from and he just doesn't seem to get it. Apparently he use to work for the guy at the other place and didn't leave on good terms. He kept saying negative things about the other place and the owner and wouldn't take the hint from me that I wasn't interested in hearing his opinion and to stick to the numbers. I really preferred the other place but they didn't have the same exact trailer we were looking for so we were going to let them both give us their best price, but the negative comments kept coming. I ended up saying that we were going to buy from the other place and left. :steamed:

The best comment was about the other guy being the owner and still works on the sales team instead of letting the sales guys do it all. I didn't understand why that was a bad thing. I felt better that the actual owner of a national top 15 RV retailer was walking around in the cold and spending tons of time with us verses having the sales guy run back and forth to get ok on prices.

-JWP

2. okie

okie GT Mayor

Salespeople can be such a pain in the ***:upeyes:

3. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

A friend was going to buy a new Wrangler, but had never bought a new car before and wanted some help in dealing with the salesman. He took along a buddy who knew how to handle it. They negotiated, and when the salesman said that he had "to go in back and talk with his manager", Guy B tells him, "no - you are going to sit right here and do the deal yourself. If you need to go get help on how to do this, you're a lop and I don't deal with lops. Either do it yourself or we're leaving." The salesman sat down, Guy A got the price he wanted and they left with the Jeep.:supergrin:

4. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

I have never heard negative comments from salespeople. I just look at what I want and argue the price.

5. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Bigfoot enthusiast enthusiast

i am pretty mean to car sales folks but i but Toyotas so you have to be to get any savings!

......I treated the sellers of the house i bought in 08 even worse!

6. pack-indy

pack-indy Emissary

I have only dealt with a few sales people who actually made me feel like I was the customer and respected what I wanted. All the others have been fake and pushy. I understand that it can be a tough business to be in, but I don't quite know where they get some of these people :dunno:

7. pack-indy

pack-indy Emissary

Good for him. Gotta love the "Let me go see what the manager says" BS

8. GreenDrake

GreenDrake Rip Lips

That's an old trick to make the salesperson look like he is on your side, then the manager is conveniently occupied. It's the "I'm fighting for you to get this deal" technique. I have the price already set before I walk in, make the offer, if I get a song and dance, I tell him "this is your last shot, do we have a deal or am I leaving?"

9. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

Salespeople have a few sayings too.

One of them is: Buyers are liars

10. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

Back in '96, we had a great saleslady when we bought my wife's Civic. She was straightforward and up front with us, and when we said that we were going to step outside and call our credit union to have them run some numbers, she let us use her desk phone, and stepped out of her office for a few minutes. The credit union told us the dealer's true cost; we offered $500 over their cost and had a deal. She never said that she had to see the manager or any other BS. She was also their top salesperson.

11. DRGNSLR

DRGNSLR

Everybody has an ax to grind. The smart ones b**** to their spouse or bf/gf. The dumb one b**** to customers or co-workers (where the customers can hear).

12. OGW

OGW NRA, SAF

Sales people beaching to you rates right up there with beaching about a previous employer when you're looking for a job. It immediately disqualifies you.

13. gruvinbass

gruvinbass

Gotta say, the used dealer we've bought our last 3 vehicles from has been fantastic, no bs about talking to anybody, just "this is the price we can sell it at", and the prices have been fair ones. He also got a set of tires for my better half's liberty at his cost several months after we bought the thing from him. That's why I'll keep going back to him when I need a new vehicle.

14. ocjackel

ocjackel

That is one of the big mistakes salespeople make. I never bring up the competition unless a customer does first and I never knock the competition.

15. gatorhugger

gatorhugger

It goes both ways. I don't work in direct sales but I do have people call me for appointments I have to drive to.
    About half the time, off site appointments don't show up, they don't call either to cancel and couldn't care less I just wasted a couple of hours scheduled to meet them, and a half tank of gas.
    And I have to wade through people whose idea of a great Saturday is to make off site appointments just for fun. They are bored, or lonely.
    They need me to come out and meet them, and waste my Saturday, with me knowing they will never buy a thing. Most are just losers wanting someone to pay attention to them because they can't get it anywhere else except sales people.
    The same people call again and again.
    I could go on and on, but the bottom line is Idiots and inconsiderate people are everywhere in record numbers.

16. happy seal

happy seal

Yes, ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ x 1,000. LOL :wavey:

17. Zell

Zell IrregularMember

I've been in sales for the past zillion years and one of the most important rules is to never, ever bad mouth your competition.

18. sputnik767

sputnik767

Considering that without buyers, sales people would be out of a job, buyers have the right to be whatever they want.

19. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

oh snap !!!!!!!! True

20. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

Nothing happens in this country until someone sells something.

Sales is revenue, everyone else is overhead.

Sure, there are slippery sales schmucks out there... but not for long. These are the people you run into that say things like "oh, I used to sell Real Estate, but I never liked it". Translation - "I sucked at selling Real Estate".