close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Some radical changes in my health insurance

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by clancy, Oct 22, 2012.

1. clancy

clancy

PHP:
    [PHP]
    [/PHP]I had a meeting at work. Come the first of the year there are going to be some very radical changes in my work supplied health insurance. I pay $35 a week for single coverage, with that I get a $20 co-pay for doctor visits, $10-$20 co-pay of prescription drugs and dental and eyeglasses. All in all my coverage is pretty damn good.

Starting 1/1/2013, my premium jumps to $115 a week for a single plan, $275 a week for a family plan, with a $2000 a year deductible for single, $5000 deductible for family. No dental, no eyeglasses, and a $750 a year deductible for prescription drugs.

We were allowed to opt out of coverage should we choose, starting 1/1, we have no choice, should we want to stay employed, but to pay for the coverage. Even worse, we were told today that our insurance has to be counted as income, and we will have to pay taxes on it starting next year. That means instead of getting a tax refund, I will probably have to pay an additonal $2500 or so in taxes.

I feel sick. If I have to pay that kind of money each week for a plan that is virtually useless, I don't know what I am going to do.

2. GunAround

GunAround

Welcome to Obama Care.

3. Sage46

Sage46

Thanks to 0bamacare, another reason to vote a straight GOP ticket this November

4. Bring_it!

Bring_it!

^this!

5. Ragnar

Ragnar

Hello Obamacare.

6. SmokeRoss

SmokeRoss GTDS Member #49

I can't even buy health insurance. They turn me down.

7. G-19

G-19

Been telling people about this since before Obamacare became law. Anyone with Health Insurance is going to have to claim employers contribution as income.

8. RustyL

RustyL

Yep, wife came home today and told me about her increased premiums for her and my daughter. I carry mine through work, I feel quite sure premiums will go up.
    Lets all thank O for a job well done.

9. PaulMason

PaulMason

Shop around - look at Blue Cross/Blue Shield.

Those rates sound very high. Are you sure the new rates aren't monthly? Monthly would make more sense considering the reduction in coverage.

Also, a company can not force you to buy health ins. to stay employed.

I'm 57 and pay $190/month - single with a 5K deductible, 3 dr visits/yr with a $35 co pay.

Health ins is not taxable.

http://jacksonville.com/news/metro/2010-06-20/story/health-care-benefits-not-taxable-are-reportable

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  10. Flying-Dutchman

Flying-Dutchman

There are 2,000+ pages of evilness in Obama Care. Shazam! Surprise, Surprise, Surprise!

What happens if we all just quit working and get our free Obama Care?

11. Flying-Dutchman

Flying-Dutchman

In a few years there will be a 40% non-deductible excise tax on “Cadillac” health insurance plans.

12. clancy

clancy

Reread my post. I cannot shop around. According to HR, we are required to purchase the medical coverage provided by our employer. Also according to HR, it will be Federal law that we have to purchase the insurance. But, as the insurance rep said, at least those of us with 26 year old children who are living at home and unemployed will now have them covered. I guess I should feel better, but don't.

I get paid bi-weekly. My insurance premiums are going to be $230 each paycheck.
    Both HR and insurance reps said that insurance coverage will be taxable.

13. ldn0125

ldn0125

Makes you wonder why most of the Obamacare things kick in AFTER the election. I'm not fooled by what has happened. I knew I voted the right way 4 years ago and will exercise my right again to hopefully defeat the person that was able to rush through this massive change to healthcare. Our enrollment packet came in today -- I haven't opened it yet. Last year, our deductible was over 4k. How much worse can it get? I hate to look!

14. El_Ron1

El_Ron1 AAAAAAAAGHHH!!!

15. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

Just got my enrollment packet from work this week. Cost is the same for my wife and I. No mention of it being taxed as income either.

16. devildog2067

devildog2067

The amount that an employer pays for your insurance benefit is a tax-free benefit to you, and anything that you pay is tax-deductible as well if you itemize.

17. devildog2067

devildog2067

Don't believe everything an HR drone tells you. Do your own research.

18. PaulMason

PaulMason

Obama care says you have to have health ins. or you pay a tax. It does not say you have to buy it from your company. Does it make any sense that an employee who makes minimum wage must pay your rates to stay employed?

Companies that do not provide health ins have to pay a tax per employee. You company is providing health ins.

It is complicated but it will be worth your time to go to a knowledgeable health ins. agent.

19. tryn2hrd

tryn2hrd

You aint seen nothing yet. Welcome to oboma care.

20. Drjones

Drjones

Hey that's great man, congratulations! Isn't that wonderful? Just remember, you'll be able to keep your current plan, your current doctor, your kids will be able to stay covered under you until they're 26...and I think you get free abortions & birth control...this is great news!

In all seriousness....wow....that's awful. I'm seriously dreading to see how much my plan is going to jump. I'm on a bare-bones plan that WAS $75/mo a few years ago (after zero took office but before hussein-care) it's now $113/mo.

Seriously; please send this message you posted here to the white house, with a big fat "THANK YOU &^%$HOLE"