close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Some questions about home exercise equipment

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by Bullman, Feb 4, 2006.

1. Bullman

Bullman Deranged Deputy

I have tried a few of the ab products off of television and I have been less that pleased with them. Tried the ab rocker, the tony little deal, ab isolater I think it was, basically it was all about doing situps still. Now i see these things like the ab lounger and more of what I am interested in, the Body by Jake Ab Scissor. Are these products going to be any better than what I have tried in the past? The reason is, I have some bad discs in my lower back, and the Ab Scissor doesn't make you lay on the floor and do sit ups, maybe I wouldn't have to listen to my back pop every time I do a sit up. But does that piece of equipment really exercise you or is it just another TV sham?

I have heard some people call him body by junk or joke, what are your opinions?

2. BizkitShooter

BizkitShooter

When it comes to abs, there is really no substitute for the old-fashioned crunch. The only equipment that you could need is a comfortable mat for the floor. If you have trouble with being able to do traditional crunches and whatnot, you might want to look into an exercise ball. These are really great devices. It gives ab workouts a different approach that is still very effective while also providing a platform for many other kinds of exercises.

I found a really good book that has a complete ab workout program in it that starts out simple and goes from there. There is quite a pile of crapola up front about washboard abs that you can ignore, but the exercises and the regimen it covers is really good.

Put the money you will save into a nice reloader or something. :)

Tim

3. BizkitShooter

BizkitShooter

Oops, the book is "Essential Abs" by Kurt Brungardt.

Tim

4. b8es_

b8es_

Look at getting an ab wheel, they are about $20 and work great!

5. Halojumper

Halojumper

The Total Gym is good. And, like they say, I have actually seen it in professional settings. If you're not sure you want to spend that much, you can find the budget version for around $200 which still does most of what they advertise on the info-mercial.

6. garythenuke

garythenuke

Ab wheels are great, but if you are already having back trouble I would very much caution against them. They put a pretty sizeable strain on the back. When I use the ab roller wheel I have to go really easy for a few weeks to let my back catch up. It is a very unique exercise.