close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Some pictures

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by SKeefe, Jan 18, 2006.

1. SKeefe

SKeefe

Is one of the purposes of this forum to post pictures, or just to ask about equipment, etc.?

I've got some pictures from a place we have down at Edisto Island, SC. I am a novice at taking good pictures, so if anyone would like to offer advice, please do. These are taken with a 4mp digital camera. (just posting one for now, maybe more later)

edit - attached picture removed

[​IMG]

2. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Oh my gosh! I so want to be sitting under that tree reading a book right about now! :)

As for comments and critique, well, I don't know enough to help ya.. ~sd

Try walking around your subject can find better spots to snap from such as a better angle or places where there is less light like where the color is bleached out from the sun poking thru in the leaves. Stretch up tall, crouch down on the ground, even lay down flat--anything to get the pic you see in your head.

How deep is that water? I would have been down in there trying to get a pic, but then again, I am not the brightest person around ;f

Not sure if it is technially "correct" or not, but I really like how the tree on the left frames the pic and aids in showing how unusual the subject tree is.

I hope that made some sense ;g

3. SKeefe

SKeefe

Thanks for the comments.
    I know what you mean, but it isn't exactly "unusual," here is the view to the right of that tree. :)

BTW, just a warning to anyone else, these pics are kinda big.

edit - attached picture removed

[​IMG]

4. SKeefe

SKeefe

You and your equipment would've gotten very wet, because it is shallow for a few feet and then there is a sudden drop off of 2 or 3 feet (not to mention you would get stuck and/or lose your shoes in the mud). :)

5. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

What I meant is that trees like that are unusual to other areas although they may be common there :)

Here, we have granite everywhere--flat on top of the ground, mountains, and so forth. In other areas, they have only seen the processed and finished product so what we are used to would fascinate an outsider.

A few years back, I remember seeing a tree stump and the root system in an off the wall antique place. It was probably ten foot across/tall. The root system reminds me of that tree which was not something that *I* see everyday.

6. SKeefe

SKeefe

Yea, I see what you mean. The only place I see granite is on counter tops. :)

7. j doty

j doty

Nice picture.In a minor critique, your dynamic range is being taxed by the wide variety of light intensity. I think it fulfills that aspect of photography where you want to visit the place in the photo and experience it for yourself. In fact I have friends that go to Edisto regularly and rave about it.

8. nipperwolf

nipperwolf

9. SKeefe

SKeefe

Oh crap, I didn't see that first link. I'm removing the attached pics now. I have to try to make a little free space on my small free account that came from my ISP.

Yea, I knew that was one of the problems with the picture. I know not to take pictures towards the sun, but since most of the sunlight was being blocked by the trees, it didn't make it look as bad (it just bleached out the sky, etc.). I also found a setting on my camera that would make that picture a little better if I were to take it again.

The only problem with taking the picture on a cloudy/overcast day is that, as you can see, it would be pretty dark under those trees. Those pictures were taken with a pretty much cloudless sky, and it still isn't that bright under the trees.

I have some pictures of those trees from the other side (ie, not from under the trees), and you can see that they form quite a canopy.