close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Some MA questions: ChiefWPD?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by MASIG, Feb 1, 2010.

1. MASIG

MASIG

I am a MA resident with an unrestricted Class A LTC. I originally moved to MA from another, much more gun friendly, state and brought my weapons with me. I have not bought a gun in MA yet.

'm currently out of state for a few months and would like to buy a Remington 870 Model 81180 W/ Knoxx SpecOps Stock. This is a 20 ga 870 model (pump) with 7 round mag capacity and a Knoxx recoil-absorbing, adjustable length, pistol grip-type stock.

I believe that this is a legal gun in MA (at least with my Class A LTC). I'd like to confirm that it it legal. Secondly, I suppose the state of MA will want me to somehow register this weapon. I believe I have seven days to file the paperwork after acquiring the shotgun. Is that correct? Does it matter that both I and the gun will not enter MA for a number of months -- i.e., will the kind folks running the MA bureaucracy allow me to defer registration until I actually return to MA? Finally, is there any legal way to avoid registration?

Thanks.

2. jayfarm

jayfarm Grumpy Gun Nut

Welcome to MA.

The gun itself is legal since it's a pump gun it doesn't count as large capacity or "assault weapon" so you can also have the pistol grip and adjustable stock. You don't have to "register" the gun, but transactions are recorded in this state. There are times when you need to file an FA-10, and times you don't but a lot depends on the specific details of your situation.

I'd suggest you contact GOAL to ask specific questions about your situation. If you're not a member it's worth joining, they are the only thing standing between us and more ridiculous laws.

3. lens

lens

jayfarm answered your first question. I'll answer your second question.

MGLs require you to register the gun with an FA-10 form within 7 days of the GUN ENTERING MA for the first time. So as long as the gun is not brought to MA, the clock is not ticking.

You "register" the gun, info on gun and you, with NO INFO on source (dealer you bought from).

Be aware that Fed Law requires that you buy only from a dealer not a FTF transaction if both parties are not residents of the same state.

I put a Knoxx Recoil-reducing stock on a PD turn-in Rem 870 Police Magnum and it makes for a sweet shooting shotgun w/o shoulder pain.

4. MASIG

MASIG

Thanks, guys.

I'll give GOAL a call about the registration matter but I suppose there's no getting around it legally. Interestingly, I did not have to register the handguns I brought with me when I first established residency (just had to get my CCW in place w/in 60 days, IIRC).

5. lens

lens

When you move in with the guns is the ONLY exception to the law about having to file FA-10s and register them. In all other instances, when the guns cross the border into MA a MA resident has to register them within 7 days (and put the "into MA" date on the FA-10 as the date you "acquired" it, not the actual date you bought it in another state).