Some information from the nice Spectrum guy today

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by bdcochran, May 21, 2020.

1. bdcochran

bdcochran

Of course my internet connection was failing and could not be corrected.
    The Spectrum guy came.
    Well, the modem that I have has been discontinued. It isn't even refurbished and recycled. The new version is 3.1.
    He explained the speeds/ranges/limitation of my computer. He brought his own computer in for testing.
    1. I have two different options, one being 5g. The 5g is used normally. It can go up to 200 whatevers. It did on the guy's machine. Mine did not go that high. I was told it was the limitation of my laptop and he didn't know of any add ons. So, bear that in mind when buying a new machine. He also said that he never saw a chromebook register more than 150 whatevers.
    2. The second option was for distance. It would never run even 100 no matter what computer would be used, the technician explained.
    3. He walked through the house and showed the limitations of both alternatives. Cell phones, Ipads and computers were used. He confirmed that the aftermarket range extenders did not work and not to waste money on them.

It was a great learning experience.

2. PlayerOne

PlayerOne

I think you misinterpreted some things (or your premise tech was lousy).

As long as your modem is DOCSIS 3.0 or above, you're compliant.

I also doubt he meant 5G, as in the next-gen evolution of cellular network (telecom). He probably meant your modem/router combo device supported dual-band: 5GHz and 2.4GHz. Under ideal conditions, 5GHz supports speed above 1000Mbps, while 2.4GHz is in the 500+ Mbps range.

Being radio waves, the lower band will travel through materials better. That's probably what the whole range spiel was about. In a typical residence, this difference is negligible (although it might matter if the band is crowded).

3. bdcochran

bdcochran

Thank you PlayerOne. I had wanted to confirm my understanding of things so I had the Spectrum guy listen as I repeated what he had told me to my girlfriend in the living room so that I could be corrected.

You are correct about the range spiel. It physically demonstrated.

What was unanswered were inquiries where he did not have the knowledge like:
    1. he had no idea why Chromebooks never registered more than 150 units. That was his experience. I do not have Chromebook.
    2. he ran his personal computer next to mine. On the 5g network, his had much better access in the speed test. He could not explain why. He said it had something to do with the actual computer, but he had no thought past that. So, I attempted to research laptop computers to learn if they were differentiated NOW by internet access. I found nothing on google. I had never seen any direction over the years to buy this or that computer because of better internet access.
    3. As to the suggestions to eliminate installed software, multiple virus checkers, empty cells, run virus scans, reformat hard drives, etc, this has been done repeatedly over the years without affecting internet access speeds. And yes, I understand that companies do software to run better on one browser than others, that browser updates are not always good. yatta yatta.
    4. I wish that there was an article that eliminated both the technician and my ignorance as to what in a computer design would make a better internet access. You know like "10 best microcomputers to access the internet".

4. unit 900

unit 900

I'm no expert, but I believe that processor speed does have an effect on streaming video. The tech's newer laptop may well have better results than an older processor in an older pc/Mac.

5. scattershot

scattershot

I have a Century Link C1000A modem. I’m supposed to be getting over 40 mbs, but it’s usually 10-15 or so, and sometimes shuts down completely. Not to hijack the thread, but would a new modem help? I’m 73, and what I know about computers would fit in a thimble with room left over.

orangejeep06 likes this.
  6. surevaliance

surevaliance

I miss ground lines, dial phones, MCs and VHCs.
    Real life...

7. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

Wifi extenders most certainly work. Not sure why he thinks they don't. I use one to get out to my shop.

If it's cable based access you may not get 40mbs if everyone in your neighborhood is online at the same time. That's the maximum you could get. It's a shared amount of bandwidth. Try getting on at three in the morning and I bet it will be pretty close. I pay for 100mbs but nearly everyone in my neighborhood is over 80 and doesn't use the internet. I just checked and I'm getting 110.0mbs down and 11.4 up. A new modem won't likely help but paying for more bandwidth might.

Last edited: May 26, 2020
    NJ1911 and surevaliance like this.
  8. scattershot

scattershot

9. Lord

Lord Senior Member

Unfortunately, he lied a number of times to you.
    the modem may be discontinued, but that doesn't mean it won't work. Granted, it may only be rated for a certain limit on INTERNET speeds, maybe 300 megabits per second or mbps and the newer ones have ratings that go up to gigabit speeds... but you will only ever get the speed that they are billing you for. For example, it you are only paying for 50 mbps, you will only ever get 50 mbps no matter what.

What it sounds like you're describing when you mention the 5g, is wireless. There are, in fact, two types... 2.4 GHz and now 5GHz (gigahertz). The 2.4 is slower than the 5... but has a longer range than the 5.

Now, it may get confusing... but not all modems are capable of wireless. Myself, I have a modem, and then I have a wireless router connected to that. That way the cable company ONLY has access to the modem that they provide, and not my internal network. I control the wifi in my home, not them.. My wifi has BOTH the 2.4 and the 5. Both are active as part of the same SSID... that way older devices that can't connect to 5g, can still connect to the 2.4. The newer devices can connect to the 5 or the 2.4. Typically, I put things like my Amazon Echo's in the 2.4 since they don't require speed to work. My computers, my phones, my tablets will all go on 5g if they can.

He also lied about the Chromebooks, or he just has no experience there. Chromebooks are new laptops and they have the same types of capability that other laptops have and YES they can get onto 5ghz and work very well there. I know because I work in IT, have for like 30 years, and still do this for a living... also, I recently setup a number of chromebooks due to covid.

The home range extenders DO work. Their best application is for things like extending the range into an area where you want to stream video.... roku, amazon sticks, smart TV's. I use range extenders to get range out to my farthest security cameras and it works very well, and once setup is absoutely maintenance free.

The "technician" that you dealt with is either incompetent, or paid to downplay everything to you so that you will purchase other solutions from them, which they would be happy to come to your house, setup for you, and bill you for with an ear to ear smile on their faces.

10. NJ1911

NJ1911

Extenders absolutely work. We have 2 Almonds and one extends the range about 80 feet through the house/ backyard all the way to the pool where we have full wifi and stream music or work on our laptops.

Often problems can be fixed just getting the latest router/modem from your internet provider. It's amazing how quickly they go out of date.

11. syntaxerrorsix

They don't go out of date. They do exactly what they are designed to do until they fail. They don't expire.

12. Lord

Lord Senior Member

you're mostly right... but when you talk in terms of DOCSiS, the older ones will not work on the newer networks. That's by design. No they don't expire, but they can be made to be obsolete.

NJ1911 likes this.
  13. NJ1911

NJ1911

I meant mechanically/the tech gets better so you are usually better off with a new unit. I did not mean they expire eventually.

syntaxerrorsix likes this.
  14. syntaxerrorsix

You are going to have to search long and hard to find a router/modem user using paid service that is causing a problem for the end user with a repeater. Like ten years or so.