Some days it's best to stay in bed

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Ski2me, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Ski2me

Ski2me Glock Envy

I was using my brand new Chrony for only the second time today. It was cold and it was windy but I was having a bad bout of cabin fever. I thought it would be a good idea to go out for a short time and check my recently loaded 10mm rounds. Here's how it went. The chrony wouldn't fit the threaded screw on my tripod so I used a couple of cable ties to hold it down. As I was adjusting the legs I tipped it sideways and it slid off and landed upside down in the snow. Back to the shop to dry it out. With that done I went back and continued setting it up. That's when I realized one of the rod ends was missing. Well after five minutes of kicking snow I was back to the shop to get the metal detector. I found the rod right under my tripod. Finally! I was setup and ready to shoot. I decided to start out with my G22C. That damned barrel puts out so much smoke when shooting lead that I had to keep backing away from the chrony to get a reading. By now my eyes were watering from the cold and the wind was shaking my arms when in my shooting stance. I'll bet you can guess the rest. Yep, my second shot hit a rod. After finding it in the snow and straightening out as best I could I felt pretty good. I thought well I got that out of my system, it could never happen again. My next shot, SNAP. There went another one flying. Again I tried to straighten the rod. I am a persistent SOB. I wasn't going to let mother nature and this thing get the best of me. I ended up getting off five good shots and recording the data. OK it was time for the Glock 20sf. It just wasn't my day. The first shot went wide and hit a rod for the third time!!! That was enough for today.....Anyone want to buy a lightly used chrony? These Glocks just don’t shoot straight.:crying:

chrony.jpg

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  2. alwaysshootin

alwaysshootin

Sorry to hear about your destructive day shooting. FWIW, when the weather is foul, I just lay a clay bird on the hillside for shooting fun. Heck, the intention is to break something, that was made to break!:supergrin::wavey:

3. janice6

janice6

What about the good side. You were hitting things that appear to be only 1/4 inch thick. Pretty good shooting.

4. Ski2me

Ski2me Glock Envy

No kidding, how is it possible to hit those tiny rods with three out of about 15 shots.

5. Beanie-Bean

Beanie-Bean

Get some small 3/16" or 1/4" dowels from Home Depot or Lowes to hold up the diffusers. They're cheaper to replace than the metal rods which you did a fine job taking out :supergrin:

You can also try shooting a rubber band over the chrony without the screens, to see if the sensors are still working OK. I do that before I head out to the range to make sure mine chrony is still working.

6. bac1023

bac1023

Wow, sorry to hear

7. Ski2me

Ski2me Glock Envy

Thanks Beanie, great advise.

8. CD

CD

I've been there man so I feel your pain. My best advice is that when you realize you are fighting mother nature...quit...go do something else. You'll never win and even if you tie it's gonna suck.

9. Smithers

Smithers

That's a funny story. Thanks for the chuckle on a cold winter morning.

It reminds me of me.

10. gregw

gregw

I hate to admit it but a few years ago I put a .50AE right in the display of a Chrony.

11. Ski2me

Ski2me Glock Envy

OUCH!

I'm sure glad to hear I'm not alone. It sounds like I'm a member of large club. :50cal:

12. dhgeyer

dhgeyer

This rampant, blatant chronyism must stop. This isn't Chicago or the White House.

13. Rleee

Rleee

I'm sorry, but that made me laugh!

The first Chrony I had didn't even have the metal rods. Try shooting without them. Unless the sun is right overhead you should do OK without them.

14. purrrfect 10

purrrfect 10

Never understood what the big deal was anyway. 1200fps or 1250fps Hit the damn target, that is what is important...Not sending thousands of rounds down range to see how fast they go :whistling: :dunno:

15. Freighttrain

Freighttrain Glock Fanboy!

Consistant speed usually means consistant point of impact.Don't want to be aiming for center mass and have a slow round hit the guy in the nuts or a fast round hit the guy in the head.Might be for an interesting trial when the Liars I mean Lawyers twist it around.