Some coincidences...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by HollowHead, Jun 15, 2020.

1. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Business seminar years ago and subject was powerpoint for the inept. Assignment was a family biography and a woman from Nevada? showed a photo that was incredibly familiar. It was her father's boot camp grad photo (Ft. Knox, 1944) which was the exact same photo I was about to use in my presentation about my own dad.
    Stopped to help a couple on a motorcycle stuck with a dead battery on the Beartooth Highway near where I live. The guy was the son of my favorite teacher in HS (Long Island, 1978.)
    HH

nrajeff, Inyo Tim, -JCN- and 5 others like this.
  2. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Long ago going to take college exam at Concordia. I meet a guy, “Paul”his GF. We talk about weird questions...
    That fall I find my room. Other guy had dumped his stuff, I dump mine, leave. Rinse, repeat. Finally that evening I’m headed back, see “Paul” remark I haven’t met my roommate yet... we both go to same floor, yep same room. We still talk on phone monthly at least.

3. PBCounty

PBCounty

Years ago I worked with two guys in a small industrial printer repair shop. Mark and Eddie. One day, almost twenty years after leaving there and not having seen or heard from either of those guys since, I ran into my former boss at a store who informed me that Mark had unexpectedly died earlier that very morning. An hour later, Eddie walks into my building in a UPS uniform delivering boxes.

4. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

Sometimes I think it's a coincidence...then, years later, I look back and can connect the dots and say AHA, that's why it happened...other times, yea, it's just a coincidence...

5. John_AZ

John_AZ

Saved a young woman from a house fire few years ago. A year went by, was thinking about her on the anniversary of the incident. A day or two later I stop a car with expired tags. She was driving, had borrowed a friends car.

nrajeff, Inyo Tim, -JCN- and 2 others like this.
  6. SC Tiger

SC Tiger As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Did either of you bring up the incident?

7. bdcochran

bdcochran

Best friend had been a medic with the Marines in Vietnam. Years later, I was disposing of head gear as I was upgrading. I took a steel pot and gave it to him. It was the one he had worn in Vietnam.

8. Darkangel1846

Darkangel1846

Back in 1984, in Seoul Korea, 6 of us decided we were going down south to Pusan(big Festival) we decided to go to the other side of the city to a very large market. We walked through the market for about an hour. As we came around a corner we spotted a group of Americans Tourist. They saw us an immediately came to us. We had a nice interaction when suddenly one of the tourist girls blurted out NANCY! One of the girls from our group. Turned out they had been next door Neighbors in St. Louis, and grew up together. Sometimes coincidence just shocks everyone.

9. glock collector

glock collector

A customer was going overboard strapping a pc we had fab'd for him in his pick up bed, I made a comment...he said after an accident he'd had 17 years earlier, he was carrying a 55 gal drum of oil up against the tailgate w/o any tie downs...after that he said, he always straps his load well....something clicked in my head with what he'd said, told him, the wife and I were on that street corner and had witnessed his accident...same truck had just repainted a diff color...the guy was amazed I put it together..

Inyo Tim likes this.
  10. Desert Kraut

Desert Kraut

I lived in southern Idaho years ago and traveled frequently between Boise and Pocatello on I 84. I would always stop for gas and lunch in a small community called Paul. In 1972, I traveled to Germany to see family and work at the Olympics venue as I am bilingual. During my stay, I went with my cousin and friends to Octoberfest in Munich. We went to one of the huge beer tents that are full of tables set end-to-end to drink some of that great German beer. We finally found space at one of the tables and sat down.

I started a conversation with the guy next to me, as I caught that he was American. We talked about all kinds of things, including the attack on the Israeli Olympic team members and other topics. Finally, as we were about to move on, I asked where he was from. He commented, you wouldn't know where it is. I am from Paul, Idaho. We were both amazed that we would meet in a beer festival with hundreds of thousands of people. Small world.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
    BigBull 301, Glasgow, nrajeff and 2 others like this.
  11. John_AZ

John_AZ

Oh yes. I’m surprised a passing motorist didn’t call 911 for an emergency backup for me when she jumped out of the car to give me a hug. I will remember that moment my entire life

12. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

I’m adopted. My bio dad didn’t even know about me until last year. He and my bio mom split up before she even knew she was pregnant.

He married and had a daughter. He and his wife went through some tough times and separated for a couple of years before getting back together.

While they were separated she and my step sister moved into the apartments next to my house.

We probably saw each other a few times without knowing we were step kids.

13. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Fair lady, your chariot awaits.

Summer between junior and senior years of college, I was behind a few credits and took a catch-up class at a nearby community college. Day 1, the professor was taking attendance. When he read my name he paused, then repeated my last name, which is unique. Looked at me and asked if my father is >>>first name<<<. Yes, sir. "I was your father's high school history teacher".

No sh*t. That had to have been at least 30 years prior.

14. briarpatch

briarpatch

One foggy morning I got a speeding ticket for going way to fast, my first ticket.
    That was in my home town in NC.
    Many years later living and working in Kansas, my wife and I were in a small church we attended on Sunday morning and this same cop and his wife came in to visit on their way through on vacation.
    Some years after this meeting his son married my cousins daughter.
    I posted this a few years ago.

I also posted that my uncle hit the beaches of Normandy France and after a few days of fighting and making his way inland he passed a body beside a small road and looking down he saw it was his brother in law. He did not know he was even in the Army.
    He also ended up in Berlin the same time as my Dad also a brother in law and nether knew it until much later after the war.

15. Critch

Critch

A guy I knew from Memphis was running around on his wife. She took off for Atlanta to work and was going to be gone a few days. Dummy husband decides to take his girlfriend to Nashville....now this is all pre-cellphone days. Wife gets to Atlanta, finishes her job quickly and decides to come home the next day...but her flight was diverted to Nashville because of weather....so she rents a car and is heading to I-40 to Memphis, and stops for gas...she sees a really nice 1976 Corvette, just like her husband's at the truck stop...it is her dummy husband and he has his girlfriend with him..she tore him a new one in divorce court...she even kept her cool long enough to take a few photos with her Instamatic..karma man, karma...

16. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

Traveled with the Moscow Circus, 90-91 North American Tour...made friends with many of the performers, when it ended everyone went their separate ways, scattered to the winds...fast forward 5 years, I'm walking down the street in Moscow and there, walking the other way, half a world away in a city with 12 million people, was one of the performers, my friend Boris...we both recognized each other at the same time...GOSPIDY BOZHEMOY! What a great surprise! Those are some MegaMillions odds right there...

17. ocjackel

ocjackel

My first year of college I had some “Intro to something or other” class. One of the first classes we spent in the library.

we were tasked with finding a newspaper article from our birth date.

I found this somewhat ironic as the the date of this class was March 29th, which happened to be my birthday. I was tasked to find a news article from my birthday on my birthday.

So I go to the section of the library with the old newspaper articles and find my day missing. Another girl in the class had already removed it. Turns out she had the exact same birthday as me (we had both just turned 19).

We had both been tasked to find a newspaper article from our birthdays on our birthdays.

we found out we were also in the same hospital, although this is not quite so unusual because if you were born in Orange County in the 1970s there was a high probability that you were born at St Joseph’s

nrajeff likes this.
  18. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

MANY years ago, I was leaving the house one night, to go hang out with friends, and for some reason I paused by the front door and told my dad, 'Don't forget to answer the phone'....

He asked 'What?'

That's when the phone rang.

Intolerant and nrajeff like this.
  19. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

While at the "Red Sea Club" in Port Sudan, ran into my Navy best buddy's father...I had visited his house several times in Quincy Massachusetts. Ran into him again at Stony's Bar on Hooker's Point in Tampa a couple years later.

Another guy that was on the same ship in Sudan had deserted from the Yugoslavian Army and had been living in Tampa for several years...he ran into his old sargent there.

At the Atlanta airport, when I was flying home after boot camp, ran into two guys from my high school class who had joined up 2 weeks before me...they were flying to San Diego for their "A" school. Only 24 people in my high school class..so odds are pretty slim.

At my Navy "A" the guy who had the next seat was from a town in Maine about 40 miles away from my town....we used to play basket ball against each other in school.

Intolerant, nrajeff and Doc Holliday like this.
  20. Walk Soft

Walk Soft

When I was 16. I stayed over at a friends house a lot in the summer. His cousin’s best friend had moved in with her after splitting up with her husband. She was 19. We messed around all summer. I really fell head over heels for her, but the summer ended, I went back to school. She went back to her husband. I didn’t have anything, a place we could both stay, a car, nothing.

Forward to Five years later. I was designated to accompany my grandmother to her Brother in Law’s funeral eight hours away. We arrived at the BIL’s house. The lawn was full of cars. We entered through the back door where there was a kitchen full of people. I was scanning the room only recognizing a couple people. Then she walked into the kitchen. We spot each other. A few minutes later my grandmother introduces us and informs us we’re second cousins.