close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Some 357's won't seat

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by BK63, Feb 11, 2010.

1. BK63

BK63

I spend a lot of time loading up empty anything I have in the winter cause there is not much else to do. Started on a batch of 357 with a jacketed soft point bullet. The problem I'm running into is some casings now and then don't fully seat. The tip gets a little squashed like it's getting crimped too soon. I have different head stamps but checked them and they are all the same length so I don't get it. I thought it was a certain head stamp but I found a few of another head stamp where 99% loaded fine but a few of those also did it. I'm at a loss as to what's going on. It's seat and crimp in the same die. I don't have a seperate crimp die.

2. Randy from Kansas

Randy from Kansas

Does your seating die have different inserts for the different bullet shapes, a round nose uses a insert thats rounded while a flat point uses a flat insert.

In the past I have forgotten to change the insert and it will damage the edges of a flat Point using the rounded insert and if I have in the flat insert it will flatten the tip of the rounded bullet.

You may be using too much crimp and it is trying to crimp before the bullet is all the way seated

3. Randy from Kansas

Randy from Kansas

And it could be you are not expanding the case enough and you are seating the bullet into a case that is just to tight for a soft bullet.

4. BK63

BK63

The case is expanded enough, as I can easily drop the bullet into the neck. If all the cases are the same length I'm just at a loss as to whats going on. I've pulled the ones that seemed to crimp too soon and were a bit too long oal, can't see any difference from other cases. As for the insert I think I only have one but I'll take it apart tonight and take a look at it. I did tighten the crimp a little because the bullets were slightly loose. I could turn them if I tried. If I have to I'll seat them all first and go back and crimp them later but never saw this issue before.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  5. fredj338

fredj338

Try seating in one step & crimping separately. I find it helps w/ roll crimps on rev rounds. You are fighting the seatng process by crimping at the same time.

6. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt Enslaved in IL

I think if you can turn a bullet, fully seated but not crimped, in the case you definately have a brass or bullet problem. Either you arent getting them resized properly or something, that should not be occuring.

7. BK63

BK63

They are going through the sizing die full length stage one. Never had a problem like this before and have loaded revolver stuff for years. Gonna have to analyze better tonight I guess. Maybe these dies are touchy and a tad too much crimp will screw up everything.

8. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt Enslaved in IL

It sounds like bad brass. If the brass resized and it was good, after seating, before crimping, the bullets would not be able to turn by hand.

9. fredj338

fredj338

I agree. Overcrimping can cause this too. How does the bullet set before crimping, is it a snug fit?

10. BK63

BK63

The neck is flared just enough to sit the bullet in to start it. Maybe some of the brass is bad as it's mixed. Most load fine but out of 75 last night I had 5 that were messed up. I tossed a couple that I found starting to split. Have not loaded any 357 in years. Maybe it's time for some new brass.

11. BK63

BK63

Lousy brass. I took everything apart tonight and started over. Brass different head stamps but all the same length. Sized them and bullet would not go on the tip as they should not. As I flared them, some I could start the tip and some would be loose. Some would barely sit on the tip. Strange as they are all the same length. I ended up seating them all and crimping later. Time for some new brass.