Solving the Glock Trigger - Pictures

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by JTknives, Apr 4, 2010.

1. JTknives

JTknives

So I have been studying my trigger bar and trying to see what i could do to smooth out the pull. I am a machinist at a machine shop so i really like to dig into things and analyze them. So i stripped down the glock 20 and started looking at everything and i noticed a few things that i believe would improve the trigger greatly. I guess these two things really are one thing over all but thy would require 2 mods to fix. To better describe the problem i made an animated gif. Its made from some pictures i took looking down the magwell. The first thing you notice is that the trigger bar is not centered on the plunger, its not even close. This causes the trigger bar to receive a lot of side loading on it causing it to be forced to the side. Glock did add something to help this problem but i don't think its enough. On the little tab that pushes down the plunger you will notice that there is a little raised bump on the side. This is to keep the trigger bar from moving to far off the plunger. but if you watch the animation below you will see that the trigger bar is getting pinched between the plunger and the slide. The slide is not polished or even have the edge in that area softened. I noticed this because i was looking at the trigger bar and noticed that there was marks on the little round bump and so i reassembled the gun and took a look to see what was going on. This Is causing a multiple folded problem. The trigger bar is rubbing on the sharp edge of the slide. next the trigger bar is being pushed against the side of the frame and rubbing against the plastic. and also this side force is putting a side load onto the trigger as it is not a tight fit in the frame. you will notice that the trigger does have some side to side movement which allows the trigger bar to shift to the side as much as it does. There are a few things i can see that would help this. First would be to bend the plunger tab out a bit more so its not just pushing on the edge of the plunger. Next would be to polish the area of the slide by the plunger that contacts the trigger bar plunger tab. This might not need to be done after the tab is bent out a bit more but only testing will tell. Next would be to remove the sloppiness in the trigger. This would be done with a thin washer. I will do some testing and let you know how things turn out. I just though i should let you know what i have found.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  2. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

WOW :wow: I be glad to test one of your improvements. What ever you do I would think of a Patent. Keep up the good work.:thumbsup:

3. Free Radical

Free Radical Miembro Antiguo CLM

Well done. I'm looking forward to the rest of the story.

4. JBP55

JBP55

Keep us updated as you progress.

5. m51

m51

That is one of the best posts I have seen on this forum, can't wait to see what you come up with. Good job !!

6. KS-Glock

KS-Glock

I think you really have something here. I'm excited to see were it goes.

7. bentbiker

bentbiker

JT, your analysis is right on target, and I look forward to your attempts to improve things. Your gif is great.The misalignment of the trigger bar on the plunger has been previously used as an argument to round off the shoulder on the standard plunger and when I went to see it, I was amazed. It prompted my use of a titanium plunger with a larger radius on the edge of the dome. It certainly softened the first phase of trigger pull, and I love it, but it didn't really eliminate the sideways motion. Did you notice that the range of possible sideways motion is severely reduced with the trigger bar at its most forward position? In that position, the trigger has extremely little sideways range of motion as well.

Edit: The problem with trying to move the tab on the trigger bar to the center of the plunger is that it will interfere with the next cartridge in the magazine being picked from the magazine and chambered. What about a rectangular plunger instead of a round one?

8. Notrega

Notrega

Tagged - very interesting...

9. curator

curator

JT -
    Great animation! (Butch - Looks like you may have some incipient competitition!)
    I need to pull out my G23 and see if I can do something similar up the magwell. I don't think the trigger bar is as much off-center as the G20, so the effect on trigger feel may be much different.

I'll try to take pics, but don't know if I can get my camera to hold frame and macrofocus (and be able to provide enough light) to come close to your animated gif. How did you do it, and what software did you use to animate the individual frames? Borescope?

I'll be watching this thread, and will post back if I succeed in learning anything from the G23.

Thanks!:wavey:

10. Jim S.

Jim S.

Hey, Glock called and they want to know when you can start working for them!!!
    Great job.

11. Bowtie

Bowtie NRA MEMBER

Very interesting..Thanks for the post..

12. a4tune8one

a4tune8one

Tagged.....great post!

13. 1canvas

1canvas

i just checked my 23 and 27 and the tab on the trigger bar is just off center of the plunger, no where near touching the slide.

14. kda

kda NRA Life Member

Thanks for looking into this. I'll be following closely as my G26 is somewhere between your experience and what I would expect to be normal.

I'm also interested in the suggestion that bending the tab over to center more on the safety plunger might interfere with normal feed from the magazine.

15. Strahley

Strahley

Interesting, subscribed

16. CitizenOfDreams

CitizenOfDreams

That's strange, my G19's trigger bar is nowhere near the edge of the "plunger", more like at 1/3. And it slides straight across the "plunger" without moving towards its edge. Could your trigger bar be bent somehow? :dunno:

17. skanless

skanless IPA ISLAND

18. Njanear

Njanear Nagant-ophile

Neat photo arrangment.... but what's up with the short curly hair in the gun? :supergrin:

19. fsqridah

fsqridah

Quote from the Matrix as the agents walk in to see the head agent massaging Morpheus's head: "WHAT WERE YOU DOING?"

20. cornnutt

cornnutt

interesting.....