close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Solving some G30 mag problems?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by scosgt, Apr 8, 2012.

1. scosgt

scosgt

I have two mags that came with my G30sf, plus I bought three more new from Glock Team.
    I noticed that only two of the five could take 10 rounds.
    One of my original mags (they are all new, I just bought the gun) can take 10, but rattles when fully loaded. The other generally could not take 10, but when I managed to cram 10 in, it acted like an old non drop free mag - very hard to insert into the grip (not talking about locking it in, I mean it was like bulged).

Anyway, I took apart all 5 mags. Inside each, there was an extra dab of plastic from the metal/plastic bonding. I used the blade from a Swiss Army knife to shave those off. One was on the front below the .45, the other opposite that on the back of the mag. They should not have interfered with the follower, but under recoil, who knows.

Next I worked each spring by hand. Expanded and compressed. Made sure to compress the small loops fully, and square on top of each other. Spent about 10 minutes on each working the springs. You can't break them, and if you pull them too far apart they seem to be easy to get back into place.

Put them all back together and BINGO. All 5 mags now take 9 rounds by easy finger loading, and the tenth goes in with the Glock tool with no problem.

The first time at the range I got a couple of ninth round FTF with WWB JHP. I always suspect a mag problem, so I will be off to the range this week to test out the mags now, but I have a feeling this is the cure.

The springs can't compress enough inside the mag to get down to where they need to be since the follower and spring itself gets in the way. Doing it by hand seems to cure the inability to load #10 - in fact, in two of the mags it was impossible to load 10 no matter what I did, now they go in without that much effort.

2. rasprenkle

rasprenkle

work that 10th round into them, and let them sit fully loaded for a few days.. solved my problem. The tenth is always alittle tough, but i use my magLula, and you still got to manually slide the last round back when its inserted,,

3. scosgt

scosgt

I was able to get them into shape without the "leaving them loaded" thing. And the two I had loaded since Thursday now load much easier than before. I think they need the springs to be worked. NOW I can load 10 without much effort.

In fact, if I had stronger (and younger) thumbs I could now load 10 without the loader. Before I took them down I could not load 10 into 3 out of 5 no matter what.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  4. abq87120

abq87120

I solved my G30 mag problems by selling the gun.

5. GRT45

GRT45 Transform & Win

scosgt, I want to compliment you for opening up your new G30 mags to give them a good inspection and tune-up.

Everything I've experienced in maintaining Glock OEM and aftermarket 45ACP mags or read about from others that had problems with them is recorded in the following post:

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16541382&postcount=8

There may be something useful to you now or in the future.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  6. scosgt

scosgt

I also found the springs slightly out of alignment, which would cause the spring to compress onto itself instead of into itself. I believe I corrected it.
    I never had this problem on my G19 or 26 or 36. The G23 has the unable to feed the capacity bug, I'll work on those springs next.

7. GLOCK17DB9

GLOCK17DB9

I had the same issues and resolved them by using an uplula and leaving the mag. loaded for a few days. Good luck.

8. scosgt

scosgt

I just tried my method on a pre-ban G23 mag that I have never been able to get the 13th round into.
    After I did my thing, 13 popped right in!

I think that the spring can never really compress enough in the mag due to alignment and cartridge presence. Once you compress the spring manually a few times it "learns" that extra little bit it needs to go all the way. At least, that is my theory because manually stretching and compressing the spring a bit does immediately allow full capacity without too much strain. On the G23 mag did it with my fingers, no tool needed, and it had NEVER taken 13 no matter how hard I tried.

9. CatDuke3D

CatDuke3D

First, abq87120 - so cute... butthole...

ANYWAYS... this is such bull**** to deal with. I hear GLOCK SEMIAUTOMATIC PERFECTION thundering from the marketing heavens, but then they slop out these d-o-g-c-r-a-p mags. I have eleven of them and none of them take 10 rounds without a hammer. Smash #10 in, then the mag won't lock in with slide forward. Well, it WILL, but you feel like a gnat could touch the mag-release and the mag would shoot right out. Yes, I want to carry that to defend myself or my family. So that's that for a tactical reload with a "10" rounder on a chambered round. Aw enough. The advice to load to ten and let them sit is crap. Especially since the jammed full mag won't lock in with confidence. It's simply horse**** that GLOCK makes these 10 round mags; they could fix this with a tiny bit of effort. No, instead they ignore the issue all together. Way to go - give us a great handgun and then POS mags to trust our lives with. WTF...

10. scosgt

scosgt

Do what I said. I bet the last round will seat. Give it a try.

11. DFin

DFin

Those mags are Medieval torture devices. I was only able to load 10 rounds after leaving them loaded with 9 rounds for a few days. Several times a day I would work the spring up and down by pushing down and then releasing the top round.