close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Solvent Needed?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by gmn, Apr 4, 2010.

1. gmn

gmn

I didnt see anywhere in the manual where it mentions using a solvent to clean your Glock. What is the general thought on this?

2. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

I use a bore solvent only and wipe everything else down then lube per manual.

3. awoodpd13

awoodpd13

The *ONLY* place on GLOCKS that I ever use any solvent is very occasionally on the bore...and then it will only be BreakFree CLP!:supergrin:

4. Brucev

Brucev

Each and every time I take my G-22 to the range I always clean it in exactly the way I clean every other revolver or pistol I own and shoot. I use Shooter's Choice solvent on the barrel. I use CLP to clean the rest of the pistol. I lube it with CLP prior to reassembly. I think maybe my procedure is fairly routine for cleaning any handgun that is used frequently. JMHO. Sincerely. Brucev.

5. bharen

bharen

Glock says you can use any cleaner and lubricant designed specifically for use on a firearm. They do not officially state a preference for one brand over another, but I have heard that the factory uses BreakFree CLP for all cleaning and lubrication chores.

That is pretty much what I use unless there is some really nasty fouling, then I'll break out the Hoppes.

6. voyager4520

voyager4520

I use solvent in the bore of the barrel only. Everything else gets wiped down with lightly oiled patches except the magazines and breech face which get wiped with clean dry patches/rags. I may also use a clean dry nylon brush to brush the breech face and under the extractor with the slide pointed muzzle-toward-the-ground so nothing falls into the firing pin channel.

Don't get oil, solvent, other liquids, or foreign debris in the firing pin channel or other internals of the slide because it will cause malfunctions. Also don't use solvent with amonia in it anywhere but the bore of the barrel because amonia will eat through plated metal and many of the internal parts of Glocks are nickel plated.

Edit: Anything plastic gets wiped clean with clean dry rags.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  7. wdo1575

wdo1575

Well i use simple green on my receiver, rem oil on my slide and hoppe #9 on the barrel. no product with acetone on the receiver.

8. gmn

gmn

Just picked up some Winchester BreakFree CLP. Should be all I need...right?

9. Tuco Tom

Tuco Tom

Butch's Bore Shine for a barrel solvent....

10. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

I often use mineral spirits and throw the whole gun in an ultrasonic cleaner. Doesn't hurt anything. I have even used lacquer thinner without effects.

No, I haven't had a problem with the firing pin chamber.