Solo 1000 and Lead Bulets. Does it Sucke???

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Colorado4Wheel, Mar 6, 2010.

1. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Just curious if any of you guys have tried Solo 1000 and lead bullets in 9mm loading to about 130PF. Are you getting leading? People love it with Moly Coated Lead in 9mm. Lots of people like it with lead in .45ACP but that is a low pressure round. What do you guys say?

2. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

It's too fast...:wavey:

3. srd

srd

125 gr. cast..4.1 Solo 1000...1.10 OAL..130PF. As far as it being to fast ? I personally like the powder. Very clean burning and felt recoil isnt as snappy as 231 or TB at the same factor out of my gun. [ EAA ] People are having a problem with it verying from lot to lot as far as consistency. Like i stated this isnt in a Glock.

4. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

What's the hardness of those bullets?

5. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

147 LFP backed with 3.7g at 1.135 is right there at 132ish (890fps). I ran it at 3.5 too, but bumping it really tamed the smoke down...

6. cysoto

cysoto Gone Shooting!

I use Solo 1000 for .40 S&W (both major and minor PF) and also for 9mm minor. My 9mm minor load is 3.6gr of Solo 1000 behind a 135gr LRN Two Alpha bullet shooting at approximately 130PF. I shoot this load through a factory Glock barrel and, even though it leads slightly, it is not anything that I can't remove with a little bit of Shooter's Choice Lead Remover and some Chore Boy.

My previous load for 9mm was 3.5gr of Clays behind a 125gr LRN Two Alpha bullet producing also approximately 130PF (through the same barrel).

There is little difference between the felt recoil of Clays and Solo (though keep in mind that I was shooting different weight bullets). Solo will produce significantly less smoke than Clays and, above all, Solo is considerably more accurate producing bench rested groups of approximately 2.5" versus the 4.0" groups that Clays would produce.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  7. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Hows the leading?

8. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

You can use very light loads of fast powders with medium hardness bullets, but I don't know if it will make the 130PF you want with the 125 bullet you have. I use Bullseye with 180LFP out of range scrap in 40SW but I keep them at 4.0 grains or under. I can load higher, but that makes a real mess. I can run 5.4 Unique and get 925FPS out of my G27 and no leading with the same bullet.

9. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

C4W:

I'm gonna be out at the Aurora range for the black powder match at 10 AM then shooting some pistol for a few hours after that.

If you've got nothing to do drive on out and I'll bring you a pound of Unique if you want to try it.

Bring real guns... if you don't own any go ahead and bring your Glocks. :supergrin:

Give me a call.

Jack

10. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

Virtually none after 150 rounds in my LWD barrel, the bullets I used are from http://uniqueprecisionbullets.com/9mm.htm and was told by the owner they rate 18 on the brinell scale. I boresnake dry every 150 rounds and after 450 cleaned, a light swipe with hoppes and copper choreboy was all that was needed.

11. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Jeesh, are you going to cut his meat for him too? Hey Zio Jack, I need a new car, can you buy me one, PLEASE?

12. cysoto

cysoto Gone Shooting!

Jack,

Aurora Gun Club is also hosting a USPSA match tomorrow. Do yourself a favor... Leave the black powder rifle at home and bring a pistol instead! :)

13. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Jack's idea of practical shooting is to wait until his opponent is drunk and then to accuse him of cheating at poker. When the guy goes to stand up, Jack blasts him under the table. Either that or he dry gulches them when they are on the trail out of town.

14. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Cysoto:

I'm afraid my good pistol shooting days are over... unless I absolutely, positively don't have to move... and the target is big enough for me to see... like the side of a barn.

Our BP match starts at ten... if you get a chance come over and introduce yourself... would like to meet you.

I drive a green F-250 with the Cherish the Magic mural on the tailgate. If I'm on the line I'm the one shaped like an egg with feet and a beard... you're only going to be 50-75 yards away from us.

If you get done before we are on the rifle range come down for a little black powder lesson... you'll never pull the trigger on one of those sissy plastic pistols again. :supergrin:

Hope to meet you tomorrow.

Jack

15. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

I am going to the USPSA match tommorow as well. Ours starts at 10AM as ussual. Bring some Unique. I will buy it from you.

Thanks.

16. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Being the obedient servant that I am I read your reply and raced, (hobbled) to the loading where I placed my arthritis crippled hands on an UNOPENED can of the new formula 'cleaner burning' Unique. (Wouldn't want to be accused of trying to shortchange a flatlander.)

As to the method of payment; I am acutely aware of the current economic downturn our great country is currently going through and recognize that many people appreciate the option of bartering for goods and services.

In light of this may I offer you the option of transferring to me either of the following;

1) A clear title to your home and one vehicle of your choice

or

2) A Heather Locklear looklike nymphomaniac.

Should you choose option number two you may also expect a brick of CCI small pistol primers as a sign of gratitude and respect.

If you do indeed show up with the aforementioned nymphomaniac I will expect you to keep cysoto covered until I make my expeditious getaway. :whistling:

Jack

17. Fire_Medic

Fire_Medic Polymer Butcher CLM

I started with Solo more than a year ago now on your recommendation (yeah it's been that long) and have been more than pleased with it just not shooting lead. When I was shooting the Missouri Bullet 125gr LRN bullets with the Solo it smoked like a damn chimney. I do not know if the smoke was normal or not, but no matter how I upped the charge (carefully of course) it still smoked like a bunch of Indians sharing a pipe. I was almost asked to leave the range on a few occasions because of how bad the smoke was. I have had no problem with it in 9mm, 40SW, or 45ACP with FMJ from MG or Plated from Rainiers.

I never tried a different brand of bullet, maybe it was just the lube that MB uses.....:dunno:

I will be trying a new endeavor soon loading a new cartridge and I'm tempted to load lead again, if I have some success I will try my hand again at Solo with lead in 9mm but with another brand of bullet, probably 2 Alpha this time as a few guys from here highly recommend his bullets.

I would just like a clean burning lead load that my wife can shoot and not have it affect her asthma.......:upeyes:

18. cysoto

cysoto Gone Shooting!

Ha, ha!! Don't you worry about me, my wife also shoots at these matches and, though I hate to admit it, she is a better shot that I am. :tongueout:

I'll come look for you tomorrow to say 'Hi'. :wavey:

19. srd

srd

WiskyT ..the 125 is from Dardas cast bullets..[ excellent bullets by the way..you might try a few ] also excellent luck with 3.3gr of Solo under a 147 BBI with no build up and no smoke . My EAA has a 3 port comp and it would deffinetly show the smoke and lead build up in the comp of which there isnt any.

20. dsmw5142

dsmw5142 NRA Member

Just curious if you ever tried Molys? I use Missouri bullets some, for practice, but the Black Bullets International I have been using lately are much cleaner and the smoke with Solo 1000 is only a tad more than jacketed.

The prices, while not as cheap as Missouri Bullet, are pretty good in my opinion. Accuracy is excellent with Solo for both the 147gr and 130grainers I have tried.

I just got a few thousand Precision Delta's to try out. The experimenting never stops :cool:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010