Solo 1000 and 115 gr load RANT

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Colorado4Wheel, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

This is a direct copy of a post I posted over at Brian Enos forums. As you all know I have started casting. Well my Lee Mold is dropping 118 gr bullets that need to be seated at 1.080 to be below the first grove on the bullet. You guys know how I hate to load short bullets but I can adjust if I have to. Anyway, below is my post from B.E. Forums. Any advice is greatly appreciated as the load data I have is useless it appears.

I have the old Scotts data. It list 125 gr lead data @ 1.100 OAL, 3.2gr-3.6 gr Max FPS 871 . You have got to be kidding me. I have been loading MG bullets with 4.1 grs at 1050fps for a while. My lead bullets weigh out at 118.7 grs so they are light for the mold. They should be 124 gr. I have to seat these bullets at 1.080" which seems really short to me but thats the only way to get the first band below the case. I don't have to make PF but I would like them to at least be close. The new Scotts data does not list a bullet type. Only a Max Load or 4.2 grs for a 115 gr bullet. I talked to Accurate Powder a while back and they said
    Well, the new data does not list type of bullet. Old data list the LRN 125gr @ 871 FPS and 31000 CUP but the 124 gr FMJ RN @ 1028 fps and 31600 CUP. I just don't understand the High Cup reading with the LRN in the 125gr bullet and the low FPS rating. I am thinking of switching powders. This is just for practice ammo. I really like the load I worked up for my match ammo. If I go with the old data I might as well not even try to use Solo 1000. 3.6 gr and a max FPS of 871 is just a joke.

2. fredj338

fredj338

You of course know that lead bullets use less powder to achieve the same vel & pressures as jacketed, one reason to go below your 4.1gr jacketed load. I am not sure I buy the vel. data from AA, seems odd to get lower vel w/ higher pressures. That just hasn't proven out to me w/ other bullets/powder combos. Have you actually tried any loads over the chrony to see what they are doing? Even astarting load will give you an idea.
    The slightly shorter OAL doesn't bother me if we are talking sim, bullet shapes, the bearing surface & case volumn are what matters. Compare your lead bullet to the jacketd, reduce the jacketed charge by 5% & you should be close. You know the drill, start low & work up. It's always like this when you venture off the reservation & use bullets no loading data uses.

3. D. Manley

D. Manley

S1000 may not be the way to go with the lighter bullets, Steve. I've loaded a bunch for my wife to use plinking @ 4.0 / 4.1 grains under 115 FMJ...I would'nt think anything lower would cycle the gun. I have'nt chronoed any of it but as quick as Solo is, small changes in seating depth probably does push up the pressure pretty quick. If you need to make PF with lighter bullets you can probably do better with another powder. I wish Accurate would get off the can and publish some real, validated data (with corresponding pressures)...sure would be useful.

4. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

I don't need to make PF with these bullets. Just want it to feel similiar to my other load. I guess I can load some 3.6 and 3.8 just to see what they do.

5. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

I just noticed this in another thread.

Thats higher then I used to run my 147gr but not beyond what I have heard is needed. I just loaded some 3.8gr and 4.0 gr with my 119 gr lead just to see.

6. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

I was at 3.5 but it was just a little too soft, accuracy deminished beyond 20 yards. I was also concerned about blown back primers and the smoke was pretty "thick". Yuthh the owner of Unique Precsion bullets recommended that I bump it up, it's the same load he uses for himself in USPSA production out of a KKM in a G34.

7. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

What did it give you FPS wise?

What bullet mould are you using?

Did bumping it up help with the smoke?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  8. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

Answers as above

9. dsmw5142

dsmw5142 NRA Member

Steve... I have been loading 3.5gr Solo 1000 with 147gr Black Bullets which gives me 132-134PF. I loaded a bunch of 125gr Missouri LRN with 3.8gr if I remember correctly for about the same PF. I almost always seat to 1.130-1.135" (The Missouri 147gr subsonics group better for me at 1.122")

Since you are seating shorter, I would think 3.6 would be good. But with the lighter bullet, 3.8 might be right though. Time to break out the chrono :cool:

10. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

3.8 Chrono'd at 125 PF.

4.0 Chrono'd at 130 PF. About 1090 FPS average.

If people are using 3.6 with a 147gr bullet and I am using 4.0 with a 118 gr bullet I should be safe. I saved the cases to inspect. It was muddy so I need to clean them first.