close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Solicitors - GO AWAY!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by LSUAdman, Sep 28, 2012.

1. LSUAdman

LSUAdman Pew Pew

Okay, I am fed up with solicitors. Do any of you guys have this problem?

Growing up in the country we were lucky if the mailman or UPS guy would make the trek to the house. When my wife and I lived in appartments, the gate was usually enough deterant.

We've been in our current house for about five years now, and we get between 5-10 solicitors knocking on our door a week. I work from home, so it's never out of the realm of possibility that a courier is dropping off something or that I am getting some samples delivered. Which means I encounter the majority of these a-holes.

This weekend I lost my nerve. My wife had just got back from errands and was taking our son to the park. She left the garage door open, so everyone could see we were home. The moment she walks in the door bell goes off, followed by knocking and the doorbell again.

"It's a sales man" she tells me, so we decide to ignore the door and pack for her trip to the park. He knocks and rings the door bell two more times. When we think he has left, we go outside and he is just standing there looking into the garage.

I ask him if he has a problem, and says "No sir, I just wanted to talk to you about..." I point at him and tell him we dont answer the door to solicitors and that he needs to leave. He starts his pitch again and I yell "Leave" in my most threatening, pissed off voice. This time he leaves.

But, the next day he shows up again. I'm working in the garage under my car. I hear someone come by and roll out expecting one of my neighbors. It's that guy again, with a friend dressed in their polos and carrying clipboards.

"Didnt I tell you to leave yesterday?" I ask him. "Yes sir, but we wanted to come back to the neighborhood to extend a special offer. Can we ask who handles your home security?"

"None of your damned business, now get out of my yard!"

"I'm sure if we could come in for a moment.."

"Leave!"

:steamed:

Now I know most of you are going to say they were casing the house, and yes that is likely. The house is secure, I'm here during days and I have total faith in our systems.

It's gotten so bad that we rarely even answer our door anymore. We're about to get camera's installed so we can screen them at the door from now on.

Anyway - how many of you get harrassed by these parasites? Is there anyway to stop them from showing up? Have you ever actually bought anything from these guys?

Some of our neighbors have posted No Soliciting signs on their door, but that just comes off as being more annoying than helpful to me.

2. JMS

JMS 02

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012

3. BigDeeeeeeee

BigDeeeeeeee Reluctantly Deplorable!

:dunno:

I recently put a no soliciting sign on the door and a no trespassing sign in the front window, so far I'm not annoyed by it at all.:supergrin:

4. Mark Smeaton

Mark Smeaton

We get the Bible Bunnies e very once in a while. My mistake is that I try to be respectful, thank them for their concern and tell them I'm not interested. When that message doesn't get through, I tell them: "Religons are like farts; I don't mind my own too much,but I don't want to get too close to yours."

Then I shut the door.

5. LSUAdman

LSUAdman Pew Pew

Has it been working? Do they actually honor it?

We had a rather large one at one of the companies I worked for, and no one ever honored it.

We've talked about it - I just worry if they are effective enough. Plus I think they are ugly on a nice, white door. But that's my hangup.

6. LSUAdman

LSUAdman Pew Pew

You know what's weird, I havent had a single evangelist or mormon knock on our door. They will sometimes leave those little leaflets and tracts in the door though.

Believe it or not, but where I get harrased the most by religious groups is at the gas station. I can't count the number of times a week someone is trying to convert me at our corner station.

7. kensb2

kensb2 pistol n00b

Luckily where I live isn't someplace a solicitor would really walk to. They would have to actually pull into my yard. I've only lived there for about 4 or 5 months, but we've not had anyone unexpected show up at our door. I like it!

8. Snaps

Snaps Hail 2 The King

Jahovas witnesses came once, haven't been back and I've never gotten other ones

9. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

Put up a no solicitors/no trespassing sign then start calling the police. Check to see if your town has an ordnance against it or a permit requirement.

10. bmoore

bmoore

We get maybe 5 a year, I try to be polite. That being said if I was in your shoes with someone being as bold as you described I would have lost my mind.

11. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

You can be mean to them...but that still happens AFTER they have knocked on the door. I know some Cops have started putting signs on their door that say something along the lines of "Night shift worker sleeps days please dont wake" and report good results.

I have a gate people cant get past. Although a few have tried.

12. BigDeeeeeeee

BigDeeeeeeee Reluctantly Deplorable!

It's only been a couple weeks and so for I've only had a 7yo try to sell me cookies. When I said "no thank you" she looked at the sign then gave me the stink eye.:rofl:

13. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

OP, you're in the advertising business and you're annoyed by solicitors? Sounds like cosmic justice to me. ;)

j/k (a little). Next time someone asks who handles your home security, say "It's a team - Mr. Smith & Mr. Wesson. Here, let me show you their card."

14. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

The Girl Scout Mafia violates every rule of decent suburban behavior. They are just Not Fair.

15. skew12

skew12

Things would be bad if he showed again.

16. johnd

johnd

they dont read, they cant read. We seem to have spate of " we are installing new windows up the road and have some left over" or " we noticed your palm fonds are hanging"
    The most ballsiest one was the skinny black kid who knocked on the door and was selling brass cleaner. He had shone the brass really well before knocking. When I told him we werent interested he said I owed him $20 for the polishing. I told him I was calling the cops to report a criminal trespass with property damage. He actually ran away across the lawn jumping over the pampas grass.

got into a "discussion" once with the JW God Squad and they left telling me I was going straight to hell. I retorted that " looking forward to that, all the fun stuff is going on there"

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  17. trashcat

trashcat

Put up the no soliciting sign and another sign warning that in order to keep animals out of the yard the sprinkler system is on a time delay motion detector. Install a button inside that turns on the sprinklers with at least one that hits the porch. If you want to give them a chance put it on a delay with a recording that says "Sprinklers commencing in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1". Get a security cam with a monitor at your desk next to the sprinkler button so you don't even have to get up to send them packing.

18. skew12

skew12

Lol good times^^^^

19. hpracing007

hpracing007

I'd be polite yet assertive to them... you think they want to be out on the street, knocking on doors, and pitching all day? At least they are trying to earn a living... they could be sitting at home doing nothing on welfare and you'd probably complain even more about that.

20. JBnTX

JBnTX

I put a "NO SOLICITORS" sign on my front door, and they still knock.

:steamed: