close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Solaris Gurus

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by frefoo, Aug 20, 2004.

1. frefoo

frefoo

Has anyone ever migrated data from one EMC array to another, using SVM and/or SRDF?

If so please PM me. I need to pick your brain.

Thanks

2. NetNinja

NetNinja Always Faithful

Only one place I can recommend.

www.experts-exchange.com

Or I have a friend who is an expert in Sun Solaris but he is high dollar.

$150.00 an hour.

3. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

It's been a long time for me since I've dealt with Solaris, so all I can recommend is this website. It has a lot of SysAdmin resources. In the past Celeste (the website's author) was very helpful when one of the companies I worked with needed a quick expert advice.

4. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

I've gone from EMC to a SUN Storage Array. Didn't use anything fancy, just tar, cat and other commands.

It takes a while to do a terabyte or two, though.

DanH

5. 308endurdebate

308endurdebate

The answer to all questions of migration depends on your configuration and if you're doing this online or offline. SVM will use your network, SRDF can use your fiberchannel infrastructure, which in most cases is signficantly faster than your network (between 1 and 4GBs for the three variants of FC). Both SVM and SRDF can maintain write order integrity, important for database type data replication while online. You can always do an offline over the network using tar, dump, cpio or any other of your favorite unix tools.

Each has their benes.... but it all depends on your situation.

-k

6. frefoo

frefoo

Thanks for the links all I will have to check them out.

To clarify some problems I am facing. This migration has to be done online (little downtime as possible) therefore cpio, ufsdump etc is not a valid option.

I am going from a Symm 5.5 to a DMX so SRDF is a possibility,

Since I have little downtime to play with (couple hours) SRDF seams to be the best option.

The problem I have is that I am not sure how a solaris host (running leadville and SVM) will handle a change of a WWN of its storage.

With the leadville driver the storage WWPN is part of the device path (pci...@5006.....) that path will change. Veritas is forgiving about path changes as long as the private region is intact. Is SVM the same way?

I do not know anything about SVM. I would hope it would be like VXVM. so I could import the volumes once the new paths are visible.

If it is not that simple would rebuilding path_to_inst on boot help out at all?

7. srhoades

srhoades