close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

SOG in Vietnam

Discussion in 'Veteran's Forum' started by NH-GLOCK22, Jan 28, 2006.

1. NH-GLOCK22

NH-GLOCK22 NH-GLOCK22

"SOG" by John L. Plaster is the best history of MACV-SOG operations in Southeast Asia. Available in paperback. Absolutely amazing! As a Vietnam veteran I highly recommend it.

2. cheaptrick

cheaptrick

"Break Contact, Continue Mission" by Ray Harris is outstanding as well.

Ray served with MACVSOG also and knows John Plaster.

I'm proud to have Ray as my friend.

3. NH-GLOCK22

NH-GLOCK22 NH-GLOCK22

You are fortunate to know a person like Ray. SOG guys are incredible Americans. Unfortunately, SOG had very high casualty rates in the early 60's and those that I knew are still MIA in Laos. I fly the MIA flag for them every day.

I had heard of Ray's book but hadn't read it. Based on your e-mail recommendation, I'll order it from Amazon tonite.

4. cheaptrick

cheaptrick

PM sent NH-Glock22.....

5. NH-GLOCK22

NH-GLOCK22 NH-GLOCK22

Tough book to find. Amazon has no inventory and is scouring their used book network for a copy. Been going on for 2 months. Maybe Ray can point me a direction where I can find a copy.

NH-GLOCK22

6. NDGlock

NDGlock OIF2, KFOR12

I'll have to check that book out.

My Dad was in Nam for 3 tours. He had two brothers a year younger than him (twins) who also served. One was KIA (Marine). The other survived (1st ID, Heavy weapons- motars I believe).

Dad was a straight -leg infantry for the first tour in the 1st ID, with the LRRPs the 2nd tour and with MACV on his last tour.

He said one of his most memorable pucker factor moments was when he and his 6 man (total) team of LRRPs were setup in a defensive perimeter one night.

A company element of NVA decided to move right through their position in their typical rapid night moves. His poncho liner kept getting stepped on as he gingerly tried to ease it off of the NVA's path. He said he doesn't understand how his team didn't get discovered. Luckily the NVA were moving pretty rapidly and just following the guy in front of them that they didn't stumble a few inches to either side of the trail.

He said it was one of the most throughough estimates in his report as he got a good count!

7. cheaptrick

cheaptrick

Gentlemen:
    Just looked a little more at the book.
    It was, is published by realwarstories.com.

http://realwarstories.com/break_contact_print.html

God bless!!

Edit to add:

I talked to Ray the other day and he told me that he and Plaster did serve together in the same compound @ Kontum.