close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Socks "goretex"

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by noway, Feb 10, 2003.

1. noway

noway

Have anybody had any experience with using goretex socks in cold climates? Do you wear the sock alone with no other sock? How well do they hold up to repetitive washings and drying?

I was thinking about getting a pair to try on the next time I'm up north and mainly outside.

2. KY Moose

KY Moose

I have had the same pair of Gore-Tex socks since 1997. I have never had one problem with the socks at all. They last a very long time if you take care of them.

You have to wear a pair of normal socks underneath the Gore-Tex socks. In the summer months, I just wear a thin pair of cotton socks under them. During the winter months, depending on the temperature, boots I will wear, and activity that I be involved in, I will either wear a normal or heavier pair of cotton socks under them. There has been a few times in the past where I wore real thin cotton socks, then the Gore-Tex, and a pair of wool socks over them. That was during some really cold conditions and I was outside for a long time. My feet were real nice and worm the whole time.

If you have a pair of insulated boots, you more than likely will do OK with just a pair of cotton socks under them. Just depends on what kind of boots you will wear.

For cleaning them, you have to hand wash them. I normally wash them in luke warm water with powdered detergent like the instructions call for. The socks clean real easy.

To dry them, just hang them up and air dry them. That is what the instructions call for.

3. noway

noway

Nice information to have.I'll probably get a pair or 2.

thanks

4. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

it's not gore-tex but i use fox river x-static socks as my liner sock. i've hiked in the desert with them in the summer and snowboarded in the winter in them and they worked in both places.

in the summer they wick away all of the sweat and keep your feet cool and dry. in the winter they do the same thing, but also help keep any water that gets through your boots from your feet. they are only a liner though and you still need a good top sock.

my toes are one place that always get cold fast. especially if i'm sitting or standing while hunting. or standing in line for the ski lift. these helped a lot because with the sweat from walking/snowboarding off my feet they could stay warm.

5. podwich

podwich

A while ago I went on a 60+ mile hike through very varied terrain, including swamps. I used Gore-Tex socks and was one of the few people who ended up with no foot problems (blisters, etc.). I used them in the winter as well and had similar results. I typically wore a pair of cotton socks under them and then any insulating layers over them.

6. TJC

TJC "No Compromise" Millennium Member

I've had a pair of Rocky goretex socks for years. They have worked and held up very well.
    Recently one of my hunting dogs had surgery on her front paws. She couldn't get the bandages and stitches wet so I used the goretex socks on her paws to keep everything dry. They have worked great for her too. ;f
    I just had to tape them up as her legs are a "bit" thinner than mine. ;)

7. noway

noway

that's so funny

"dog with a human sock tape on her foot"

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'm getting a pair maybe this weekend.

8. hoagie55

hoagie55

Where do you get your gore-tex socks? This sounds like something that I need, my feet are usually cold when out deer hunting. I wear a size 15, will that be a problem?

9. KY Moose

KY Moose

Most of the outdoor, outfitter companies carry them. IIRC, Gander Mountain was where I ordered mine from. If you check some of the catalogs like Bass Pro, Cabela's, Gander Mountain, and so on, I say those companies still carry them.

10. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

KY Moose,

Man, i haven't heard the name "Gander Mountain," in ages.. didn't know if they were still around!

Also "Herter's," ,, They used to sell Bows, and traps, and tons of hunting materials, nor all i can find in their catalog is duck hunting material... Glad you brought GM up! :)

Noway, if you run across any Gortex 'long johns' let me know.. i always seem to get real wet, whenever i even get close to water! HA.

CanyonMan

11. noway

noway

Can't help you on long johns but try http://www.hellyhansen.com/product/ for the some warm layers clothes.

I had a friend that was up in Alaska and Canada and he got me hook into some of their products. Very nicely made but quite expensive.