close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Socks for the cold - wool and liners vs smartwool

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by DoubleWide, Feb 18, 2010.

1. DoubleWide

DoubleWide

Looking for advice from people who spend all day out in the cold. Do I want liners and wool or smartwool or smartwool and liners or something else? This would be for all day outings with feet probably sweating some.

2. Easterbrook

Easterbrook Wagon Burner

It's hard to go wrong with SmartWool. I sometimes wear liners, too. They help stave off blisters and wick away sweat.

3. 23skidoo

23skidoo Deceased

Keeping your feet dry is the biggest part of keeping them warm.

4. JohnBT

JohnBT NRA Benefactor

I've been using Filson socks forever, so that's all I know. With an old pair of Cabela's leather Gore-Tex 200-gram Thinsulate boots I can stand in ankle deep ice water duck hunting or spend all day outside shoveling, sledding, walking around and taking beer breaks on the front porch standing in 8" of snow with the wind blowing 35 mph and never have a problem with cold or damp feet.

I live in an old inner city neighborhood and can walk to everything, including my office, when the weather shuts things down. I spend a lot of time outside, the colder the better.

Heck, I can't remember if mine are lightweight or medium. Probably a few pairs of each.

They work well with insulated chest waders and good longjohns for winter surf fishing too. I tried some polypro sock liners under them, but didn't notice any significant improvement.

www.filson.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3446801&cp=2065000.2075119

John

5. DoubleWide

DoubleWide

Thanks for the opinions. The prices on these socks kill me :wow: , but I understand after a day with frozen feet.

6. JohnBT

JohnBT NRA Benefactor

They last a lot longer than cotton or other cheap, cold, damp nasty socks that'll make your life miserable. Twenty bucks won't buy you a cheap hat at an NFL game.

Then there are good gloves, relatively inexpensive fleece hats and neck gaiters. A coat is important, but your fingers and feet will get cold first. My favorite pants for bumming around the neighborhood on blizzard days are an old pair of Wrangler jeans with Thinsulate and a red lining. Worn over a set of lightweight Cabela's Thermastat longjohns I can stand around for hours in a blizzard.

Back in the '50s we had cotton long underwear. And wool. I'd rather die I think. Cotton started out cold and only got wet and colder. Maybe rich people had silk, but I didn't know any of them. I love warm modern high tech stuff.

We live in wonderful times; remote control and good long underwear. Television was the same back then as now, except for no remote, three channels and nothing on.

John

7. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

silk underwear is affordable. I get 75/25 merino nylon socks at 15$ a two-pack, & polypro liners. Falmouth Expedition II, campmor.com

you won't cuss silk underwear. buy some, test it, you'll agree.