Social worker with Police on calls

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Tvov, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Spec62

Spec62 Millennium Member

Understand. . .so. . .correlation. That was Nixon/Ford/Republican supporters. . .typical of Obama/Democrat supporters of that era. Understand my drift?

1975? I was "across the pond" protecting and defending my fellow American soldiers. Turns out the Pentagon Papers were written by both parties.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  2. razdog76

razdog76 Heavy Mettle

I went through the second CIT class offered in my county, back when it was voluntary. Like so much other training it became another tool in the box to use. Whether it was used to find someone some help, or pink slip someone to the ER it was useful to resolving some things. In our class it was reiterated many times that it was not a substitution for an arrest though. I also found that after taking the class I learned how to listen a little better and started getting a lot more confessions in the non CIT calls.

dx_caliber and Spec62 like this.

3. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

4. nursetim

nursetim

Must have been the “spermwhale” of the department. :whistling:

5. LinuxLover

LinuxLover Ba-nan-nah-nuh

So --- is there a lockable rack in the front seat for the guitar and bongos?

6. walkinguf61

walkinguf61

You would be surprised who volunteers for such assignments... steady hours and weekends off type of thing. How many social workers work midnights and rotating days off? Not many.

nursetim likes this.
  7. ray9898

ray9898

We can sit back and say 'don't send the police to the crisis calls' but it will never pass the real world test. Mental illness and violence go hand in hand. We are the only people trained and equipped to handle that.

Dragoon44 likes this.
  8. Spec62

Spec62 Millennium Member

Duh. . .no one is even saying that. How in the the world during the initial contact with the dispatcher can anyone differentiate between a crime call and a mental health call? You know who can. . .or should? The police. I hope you're not degrading the professionalism of police by saying they're not incisive enough to handle a mental health call? What. . .just call the police for real crimes? What you're saying lacks clarity.

9. ray9898

ray9898

WTF are you talking about? The 4th post on this topic said "The Police have no business being involved in crisis response calls for service".

We handle mental health calls every day where the only complaint is a mental health issue. Nothing to do with being a possible criminal act.

ranger1968 and Spec62 like this.
  10. Spec62

Spec62 Millennium Member

I pulled up the post in question. Sounds as if you're in contradiction to the post. If so, I would agree with you wholeheartedly. Additionally. . .comparatively speaking, for that other law enforcement agency, either the poster misspoke or misrepresented the agency's service to the community or your department's quality of service and/or professionalism is significantly higher than the poster's agency. . .but I don't know.

11. SuzyR

SuzyR

Very insightful that CIT training has improved your interrogation skills. Any training that helps us gain more perspective on the way people react, process, and communicate could provide LEO’s a tactical edge in many situations.
    Granted, most departments need boots on the ground so badly that sparing manpower for extensive continuing education is not always an option.

12. walkinguf61

walkinguf61

CIT has saved a lot of lives. Taking down EDPs is just a part of it. I remember in a few cases of Autistic people who were lost, found because of CIT training before they hurt themselves. Just learning what stimuli they were attracted to saved them. They often are attracted by bodies of water. So if an autistic person is missing, have someone go to the bodies of water before they enter and drown . That is a tendency that a lot of psychologists who practice outside that subsection don’t know. And an officer in my CIT corrected some information about Autistic children to the so called experts. That officer has an autistic child and corrected them about their misconception or stereotyping.

A good CIT program is an exchange of info and not lectures.

Spec62 and SuzyR like this.
  13. SuzyR

SuzyR

Absolutely true.

Spec62 likes this.
  14. thespork

thespork

Actually, in the vast majority of cases, it doesn't...
    That kind of comment is a good advertisement why having, at the very least, a small portion of the police get additional mental health training or assistance from mental health professionals isn't the worst idea.

The mental health community, the psychiatrists, the nurses, the orderlies, the security staff, are dealing with the small percentage of nutbags that are actually violent nutbags 24/7/365....

The police have to deal with the threat of an armed response, but when it comes the basic act of having a physical confrontation with a disturbed individual, you aren't alone.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    Spec62 likes this.
  15. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

Ray9898, statement about mental illness and violence is true from the perspective of cops.

Why? Because police typically do not get called in just because someone is mentally ill and not competent. More often than not they get called in once an individual is already displaying violent behavior. And frequently they are called in by the family, the people that know the mentally ill person the best and who are frightened by the individuals behavior knowing that violence is likely imminent or has already occurred.

In short, the cops are typically called in once the individuals behavior is perceived as dangerous.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
  16. walkinguf61

walkinguf61

A big difference is where it is happening. We go into their territory rather than in a “ controlled “ environment (I know it’s not as controlled as ithe name implies) . It’s more than weapons but possible “ triggers” that can set them off as well as their “ back up” ( other family and friends who can be a danger to us as well)

In general, People are more territorial in their own homes than in a hospital setting.

Dragoon44 likes this.
  17. SuzyR

SuzyR

In the interest of full disclosure, I am a social worker intruding on a law enforcement conversation. I also happen to enjoy guns, appreciate Glocks, and have good things to say about the law enforcement support that I have been lucky enough to receive. I supervise a fairly large area that contains 19 different police/sheriffs departments. We could not safely and effectively do our job without knowing that our LEO’s have our backs.
    That being said, we always try to be respectful of our LEO’s time, completing most report investigations independently. We also complete some joint investigations which have resulted in several successful prosecutions and improved circumstances for the population we serve. When everything works as it should it’s a beautiful thing.

Spec62 likes this.
  18. Spec62

Spec62 Millennium Member

I always perceived domestic violence calls as a mental illness issue. How can anyone in their right mind assault someone they say they love. You gotta be cra cra to fight the cops after your spouse assaults you yet you fight the cops to keep your husband from being arrested. . .after YOU as the spouse called the cops! That's Twilight Zone <black & white version>

tom mac and Dragoon44 like this.
  19. SuzyR

SuzyR

No doubt. Domestic disturbances are a crap shoot. You have to be ready for anything. If you can de-escalate the drama you’ve got a better shot at everyone ending the day safely.

Spec62 likes this.
  20. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

Yeah, they call the cops and scream about wanting their hubby or live in thrown in jail. But then when the cuffs are on and they realize their meal ticket is going to jail and not to work they panic and attack the cop.

Spec62 and pgg00 like this.